[How-To] ATI Radon Mobility 9600 AGP with QE/CI on 10.4.8/10.4.10

largo

140 posts in this topic

Try the JaS 10.4.8, it is the easiest to install on the NC6000, a couple of patches give you "Airport", and power management (somewhat).

This ATI fix probably works on the nc6000, ....but, I think the instructions in post #1 have been rendered iffy after edits introduced some typos and ambiguities.

This tutorial's author has suggested that he may write a "how to" for 10.4.10/nc6000 in the future, ...until then, the JaS 10.4.8, plus the Atheros fix are probably your best bet.

Thank You so much :thumbsup_anim: I have that JaS disc around here some where. I have a Compaq SR5250NX with Mac on it. I've used Leopard but hate the mouse glitches and went back to 10.4.11 and fixed the Adobe CS3 errors and others by applying the 10.4.10 AppleSMBIOS.kext

I would love to know how to get 10.4.11 to work on NC6000. I need it for my business later. It will do fine until I get the real iMac later.

• 4 weeks later...
I hope not!!! I just got my NC6000 and I'm stuck at the Apple Load screen after xxx 10.4.11 xxx installs.

I tried Kalyway's Leopard, but my laptop froze do to the issues with NC6000 which I need to get fixed.

read about the NC6000 issue and solutions here -> http://www.techimo.com/forum/mobile-comput...roblems-11.html and http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread94320.html

I need help getting past the apple booting screen.

Hi

I can Help You dude ;-)

LEO4ALLv3 works like a charm on my Old NC6000 Laptop (yes yes my dear)

But this is not easy to do

1st)

Install LEO with only those things (the DVD make a long long time to boot ...count 45 min to boot on OSX install menu so be patient it seems froozen sometimes but don't care)

onto leopard install menu dont' Forget to format your disk via disk utilities

FOR INSTALLATION,

Select only those things:

Your Language

The SS2 Sleep Kernel

No chip

No Network Drivers

No Graphic Card

No Sound Drivers

Delete Firewire Kext

choose Old ACPI

nothing more

2)

After the installation the boot into Leopard fails !!!

To fix that you need to change IOPCCARDFAMILY.KEXT and IOPCIFAMILY.KEXT from others from this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81036

3)

You need to remove AppleVIAATA and replace the leopard IOATAFAMILY.KEXTfrom this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88335

4)

You need to change the AppleBCM5701Ethernet drivers from IONetworkingfamily.kext with another one who is patched

from this threat

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...art=#entry73971

All done

You need to boot everytime with kernel Flags -f

After that you got a speedy fonctionnal LEOPARD but without Graphic Card QE & CI and without powermanagement

If you fix that think, please tell me

Mediax

• 1 month later...
Hi

I can Help You dude ;-)

LEO4ALLv3 works like a charm on my Old NC6000 Laptop (yes yes my dear)

But this is not easy to do

1st)

Install LEO with only those things (the DVD make a long long time to boot ...count 45 min to boot on OSX install menu so be patient it seems froozen sometimes but don't care)

onto leopard install menu dont' Forget to format your disk via disk utilities

FOR INSTALLATION,

Select only those things:

Your Language

The SS2 Sleep Kernel

No chip

No Network Drivers

No Graphic Card

No Sound Drivers

Delete Firewire Kext

choose Old ACPI

nothing more

2)

After the installation the boot into Leopard fails !!!

To fix that you need to change IOPCCARDFAMILY.KEXT and IOPCIFAMILY.KEXT from others from this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81036

3)

You need to remove AppleVIAATA and replace the leopard IOATAFAMILY.KEXTfrom this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88335

4)

You need to change the AppleBCM5701Ethernet drivers from IONetworkingfamily.kext with another one who is patched

from this threat

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...art=#entry73971

All done

You need to boot everytime with kernel Flags -f

After that you got a speedy fonctionnal LEOPARD but without Graphic Card QE & CI and without powermanagement

If you fix that think, please tell me

Mediax

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

Will try soon after I send my laptop off to get the Maxim chip fixed and get it back. I really want Leopard on it :mellow: Vista is running nice, but Leopard would be sweet :)

tried this with 10.5.2 and if I replaced the OpenGL.framework with the one in the download the GUI will not launch. I just learned some nix commands so I could move my backup back lol. I've got device ID 0x4e50 ATI Radeon Mobile 9600 on a Gateway 7422GX. I can get 1280x800 but no QE or CI. Anyone know how to get this working on 10.5.2?

ok, I read about the framework and figured it was something like that. the old framework which is 10.4 (of course) doesn't work with 10.5.

Hi guys,

Tried different methods to make my 9800 pro (4e48) fully work - 1 of 2 possible results: QE/CI not supported or system is dead....

Have anybody solution to enable QE/CI in Leo4allv3 somehow?

Please advice!

P.S. Largo, did you try instruction above to run leo4all on your laptop?

Maybe if you'll install it fine you'll make a working driver for our our radeon's))

You can try, but I am pretty sure QE/CI does not work under 10.5.x, only 10.4 using this method. I was able to get it working under 10.4 without an issue, but not 10.5. I spent a lot of time trying with this method and others, many reinstalls and many different drivers.

• 3 weeks later...
You can try, but I am pretty sure QE/CI does not work under 10.5.x, only 10.4 using this method. I was able to get it working under 10.4 without an issue, but not 10.5. I spent a lot of time trying with this method and others, many reinstalls and many different drivers.

How do you get 10.4.11 to work?

i got it working on leopard on my nc8000 with full qe/ci

Can you write an detailed guide for us of how you did it?

Like with the files downloadable from this forum and not having to go to other forums to search and find the answers since you already know how to do it.

i got it working on leopard on my nc8000 with full qe/ci

Can you write an detailed guide for us of how you did it?

Like with the files downloadable from this forum and not having to go to other forums to search and find the answers since you already know how to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
tried this with 10.5.2 and if I replaced the OpenGL.framework with the one in the download the GUI will not launch. I just learned some nix commands so I could move my backup back lol. I've got device ID 0x4e50 ATI Radeon Mobile 9600 on a Gateway 7422GX. I can get 1280x800 but no QE or CI. Anyone know how to get this working on 10.5.2?

ok, I read about the framework and figured it was something like that. the old framework which is 10.4 (of course) doesn't work with 10.5.

Dude wondering if you can instruct me how to install the driver ATI mobility 9600/9700 on 10.5.4 the framework part does same here... but I just want the resolution support could almost care less about QE or CI at the moment?

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, I got my hands on a JaS.OSx86.10.5.4.Client.Server.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.iso, so I am going to try install Leopard again.

Meanwhile it would be nice if nickhe could let us in how he got the card to work and supported!

That would be too kind!

thanks in advance!

Nickhe: I found your topic here but it doesn't state either how you got qe/ci to work...

Okay, here is some progress. I can boot Leo now, but it's a pain and so far I am still down to more basic things than the graphics card. For example my system takes 5 minutes to boot up - which means working with kexts & rebooting is a pain. So I need that fixed in the first place.

One thing I can tell you so far is that the kexts from my driver package still work - as already mentioned in this thread. The only thing not working is QE/CI (The OpenGL.Framework).

I will try to look into that IF I ever get Leo booting at an at least half decent speed... Stay tuned.

Maybe I'll switch to Leo4All after all...

Oh, and I don't believe nickhe got QE/CI working...

Okay, with the help of the thread named above and Nick14 I've got my Leo up and running flawlessly. All is working, even better than with Tiger to be honest - the only problem that is left is QE/CI. I did some trials but so far didn't come up with anything functional.

Nick14 is also actively looking into this, I really hope we can get this done after all.

I got my laptop up and running with leopard 10.5.2 so far, but i am curious:

I got the radeon mobility 9600, but only showing with 1024 x 768 resolution. Is there anyway to get this up to the 1200x800 that is supported by my screen? (yeah...tha laptop is old and awfull)

.Kringon

• 2 weeks later...
I got my laptop up and running with leopard 10.5.2 so far, but i am curious:

I got the radeon mobility 9600, but only showing with 1024 x 768 resolution. Is there anyway to get this up to the 1200x800 that is supported by my screen? (yeah...tha laptop is old and awfull)

.Kringon

Kringon, the callisto should be able to take care of that (i am using the same card on leopard 10.5.2.. look for callisto 003 fized, which is what i used. I was able to get my laptop to 16XXxsomething... i can't remember off the top of my head. I'm downgrading to 10.9.8 so I can get QE

Video Card: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10] [1002:4e50]

Any way to get this card fully supported ?

I'm on ideneb v1.3 10.5.5 on my Dell Inspiron i9100 (sold as XPS in the States).

Xnu kernel (no vanilla as my processor is SSE2 ).

VESA only allows for 1600x1200x32 resolution, where my card/screen support 1920x1200x32.

Any help appreciated.

Been lurking/searching around for quiet some time, but I didn't find a solution yet.

From what I understood, only PPC drivers are available for that card in the most recent releases (>10.5.2) ?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all, any progress with getting QI/CE working on Leo?

Thanks, and keep up the good work guys.

ASUS W1N

Kalyway 10.5.1

Coolbook (activated)

I got an acer travelmate 292 lmi and I´m trying to get 10.4.11 working...qe/ci seem active, but performance is quite slow, also white screen instead of video playback. I will try this solution...

@berteso:

how did you get coolbook working?? tried this yesterday, but without success. It won´t show me cpu clock or temp...if I add my modelID, system hangs...

I guys, I got somewhere here with my Mobility Radeon 9600/9700 (M10/M11) dev_id 4e50.

post-209019-1225363206_thumb.jpg

Graphics are indeed accelerated, scrolling is very smooth and so is moving dragging windows across the screen. However a few things don't work:

videos :: the movie plays but picture is all white

preview :: all white and crashes. BUT, it works if I open images with taskbar

coverflow :: simply not working

Here is how I did it:

Optional in case you messed up with your extensions

- Downloaded Update 10.5.1 Intel from Apple

- Extracted ATI* kexts from it and re-installed them with Kext Helper b7 (to 'clear' any previous attempts, messed files)

Main STEP

1) Downloaded Update 10.4.8 Intel from Apple and extracted the following kexts with Pacifist:

- ATIRadeon9700.kext

- ATIRadeon9700DVDDriver.bundle

- ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin

- ATIRadeon9700VADriver.bundle

- ATIRadeonGA.plugin

- ATIRadeonGLDriver.bundle

2) Install Callisto b003 edited with dev_id 4e50

3) Patched ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin and - ATIRadeonGA.plugin (IONDVRFrameBuffer -> CallistoFB)

Even more important STEP !!!

4) Installed - ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle (build 9a321) patched with ATIRadeonx1000GLDriver.bundle from 10.5.1 (this method was mentioned in many other forums). Here is what you have to do:

a) download this

B) extract ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle

c) Navigate into ATIRadeonx1000GLDriver.bundle from 10.5.1 into Contents/MacOS, copy ATIRadeonx1000GL.driver onto your desktop, rename it to ATIRadeon9700GLDriver

d) navigate into ATIRadeon9700GLDriver bundle build 9a321 (the one obtained in B) to Contents/MacOS and drag ATIRadeon9700GLDriver (the one you got in c) so as to replace existing one.

e) install kext, repair permissions

8) Reboot

Note: Do this without AGPGart. If it works then add AGPGart that worked for you.

Good luck!

I got an acer travelmate 292 lmi and I´m trying to get 10.4.11 working...qe/ci seem active, but performance is quite slow, also white screen instead of video playback. I will try this solution...

@berteso:

how did you get coolbook working?? tried this yesterday, but without success. It won´t show me cpu clock or temp...if I add my modelID, system hangs...

Hi, I found on a forum (problem is I don't remember which one), that coolbook only works if it sees your laptop as a valid Mac, so I had to donwload and install a particular version of AppleSMSBios.kext. That way, once I rebooted, Coolbook was populated with default freqs and voltages. So, I paid the $10, activated it and now I got i working!

Hope this works for you too ;)