enlarging hfs+ partition

aaket504

87 posts in this topic

iPartition works to resize/enlarge hfs+ partitions. I've used it before. You need to boot up from another physical drive though-- i'm going to give it a shot tomorrow when i get my new hd.

basically you would:

1. clone your current 6gig partition onto a new drive

2. boot that drive

3. get ipartition and resize the first drive from the new one

4. boot back into the old one

5. you can delete that clone partition on the new drive if you want

I was browsing around for a different problem, and ran across this:

DYNAMICALLY RESIZING DISK PARTITIONS

Rather than go through that pain, I instead decided to try working with a program called VolumeWorks, from SubRosaSoft. VolumeWorks is a disk repartitioning tool that can dynamically resize partitions without destroying all the data within. Though it can only resize HFS+ volumes, not UFS, that was fine, because the existing Mac OS X partition was already in HFS+ format.

As with most disk utilities, you can’t work on the boot partition, so I opted to use Firewire target mode to mount the laptop hard disk onto my G5 system before I tried to resize the disk partition. Before I could begin partition resizing, however, I had to defragment the disk first - no surprise - and before I could do that, I had to verify the disk.

With a 60GB disk, there are exactly 57.8 GB of disk space available, so I resized that partition down to 50GB, then allocate 3GB for Ubuntu and 4GB for Yellow Dog, based on the Ubuntu and Yellow Dog recommended install sizes: 1.8GB for Ubuntu and 2.2GB for the workstation installation of Yellow Dog.

According to this guy, it's pretty simple to resize provided you have another osx system to boot from and attach the 6gb partition attached to it via firewire.

According to this guy, it's pretty simple to resize provided you have another osx system to boot from and attach the 6gb partition attached to it via firewire.

well kind of

theres a problem with that one though

because you cant boot the intel mac into target disk mode-- or i'd have solved this problem a long time ago (i have a powerbook)

problem is, theres no time to press T to boot into target disk mode, and the system preferences pane is broken for startup disk options

I had an 80 gig drive w/ a 6gb partition (Part1). I booted into single mode, made a new partiton (Part2) with fdisk, and ditto'ed everything over.

Now i have two boot options in the darwin bootloader. Choosing the second (Part2) works as long as I leave the /System folder on the first one (Part1).

If I make the second one (Part2) active (parted in linux) I get just a _ prompt.

If I leave Part1 active and choose the second partition (Part2) from the darwin bootloader AND use rd=disk0s1 it boots fine, but i still need to leave the first partition untouched bcs it has the bootloader on it.

Does any one know how to install the bootloader onto my other partion so i can boot w/ that one set as active and avoid navigating the menu and using boot options? I'm assuming that why the second partition won't work? Also since the chain0 file is the same from both partitons since it's just a ditto copy, maybe i just have to change some settings somehow?

I figured it out. I left pretty much everything alone and just did:

sudo bless --device /dev/disk1s2 --setBoot(disk0 is my windows disk in my case)

(and for good measure)

sudo bless --mount / --setBoot (while i was booting into partition2 already using the rd= option)

I had previously blessed the CoreServices folder, i forget the line, but you might have to do that also. type man bless and it's all in there.

I could then remove the rd= option. the bootloader has the same menu but automagically selects the second partition now. i could delete everything off the first one now and it still works. i'm just afraid to format it still but the bootloader (BootX) should be in the MBR so it shouldn't matter but i'm still not gonna touch it anymore

Finally, this also apparantly only works bcs i copied my chain0 and am using the windows bootloader, if i set my osx disk as primary in my bios it won't boot directly as it used to.

Here is what I did to have a full size partition with deadmoo's image.

I installed Darwin 8.0.1 on my HD, making it reformat my drive. I put the drive in my Mac, and then erased all files from the partition where I installed Darwin, except the Desktop files and the Trashes file (you should make visible all the files for that, use a small utility called Onyx). I then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone deadmoo's image to my darwin partition, and put back the drive to my PC, and it works.

The idea is to have Darwin install the boot sector, and CCC to install the files.

... I then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone deadmoo's image to my darwin partition, and put back the drive to my PC, and it works.

Been working on this for about 3 days now!! When I try and Authenticate in CCC it just hangs after I put in the admin password... Did you have this problem?

A way around it is to open Activity Monitor and kill the smaller of the two CCC processes but then the clone fails since it's not running as root...

Is there another way to Authenticate CCC?

thanks!!

Been working on this for about 3 days now!!  When I try and Authenticate in CCC it just hangs after I put in the admin password...  Did you have this problem?

A way around it is to open Activity Monitor and kill the smaller of the two CCC processes but then the clone fails since it's not running as root...

Is there another way to Authenticate CCC?

thanks!!

use this:

sudo open /Applications/CarbonCopyCloner.app

I found it easiest just to type in Carbon and then press tab. Hope this helps.

I have been working with CCC for a few days now and can't get it to copy everything, there are problems with the access rights to the boot partition :angry:

I don't know if this will really help much, but if you create a second HFS+ partition you can move the swapfile to it.  OS X on my PC regularly uses 1gig of swap space, and that is a very large amount considering the small size of the 6gb partition.  Look for a piece of software called "Xupport".  It is commercial, but you can move the swapfile without registering :angry:.  It leaves me with about 1gig of free space on my primary OS X partition, which allows me a good deal of breathing room.

Thx for the information. Here's my discoveries:

I have tried several ways to change the swap file to a new location but failed. I found that when /etc/rc attempts to allocate vm (search for "swapdir=/private/var/vm"), only root system is mounted but not any other disks. I tried to call a 'autodiskmount' before it but does work.

Xupport achieved this by placing a startup script ("/Library/StartupItems") and its execution priorty is set after 'DISK' service ;).

I dunno if I should post the script here, you might consider to download Xupport (the unregistered version works as adam said) yourself and extract the script and see ("/Library/StartupItems/XupportMemoryOptimizer").

Hi guys, I wanted just to mention that it is possible to create and use HFS+ slices (means partitions) from another OS than OS X ! FreeBSD is the answer, my favourite OS !

There is a version of newfs_hfs available from Darwin 6.6 (MacOS X 10.2.6) + needed kernel modules and mount_hfs!

I tried to mount my to harddisk dd'ed with tiger-x86, but no success since the HFS used by the image is a bit too new.

FreeBSD HFS+ Page

But you will be able to use slices formatted with the FreeBSD version of HFS+, just add a new slice with fdisk and then run newfs_hfs on it. Boot into your OS X, everthing should be fine and there is a new drive appearing on your Desktop ! But be sure you cannot install Software on this slice, you will have to find a way resizing your partition. Try a Gentoo Install CD, I think they have a patched version of parted included with their distrib.

whats stoping us from just using partition magic to partition the unallocated space and mount it as a NTFS system drive, or are there errors with this?

What do you want to do this for again? Just trying to see how the NTFS drive is going to help...

hey guys

Cant seem to get it to boot after using carbon copy cloner,

I get this error on boot

"This Hardware configuration is not supported yb Darwin/X86"

even though it was running on this pc on the original hdd...

why could this be the problem?

Same problem here.

"This Hardware configuration is not supported by Darwin/X86 (3)"

Mine works if i have the drive i CCC from plugged in aswell...

I don't mind it was a spare drive i originally had it on in the first place.

Regards

HoZy

• 2 weeks later...

Carbon Cloner method works! Ditto works aswell - the problem is that you have to install darwin 8 first on the drive - otherwise the bootloader doesn't work and it will write this:

"This Hardware configuration is not supported by Darwin/X86 (3)"

So just install Darwin 8 - and delete everything on the drive afterwards via vmware, then ditto or carbon clone.

If anybody has a alternate/faster way to get the bootloader/bootblock working, feel free! :lol:

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Can somebody please PM me a link for iPartition 1.5.1 (or a version that can update to the most current version, because 1.0x does not).

Thanks,

Bugs.