bad linux!

alloutmacstoday

31 posts in this topic

i had linux on hd, with anouther partition, so i booted up off of mac install dvds, reformated 2 disks (which were the linux ones) to dos, and now i ahve three partitions, 1 348.8 mb one, one 7.3 gb one, and a 48 gb one. i trid using bootcamp, but it didn't work. any help!!

also, when i do refit, it still says that there's a linux to boot up in

grub or lilo?

grub is like a permenant marker, hard to erase.

if you have a win98 floppy laying around try fdisk/MBR and that will get rid of the linux bootloader.

i had linux on hd, with anouther partition, so i booted up off of mac install dvds, reformated 2 disks (which were the linux ones) to dos, and now i ahve three partitions, 1 348.8 mb one, one 7.3 gb one, and a 48 gb one. i trid using bootcamp, but it didn't work. any help!!

also, when i do refit, it still says that there's a linux to boot up in

If you've installed Grub to the MBR then reformatting your Linux partition will not get rid of Grub. Even if you do still want to reinstall Linux I would do fix the MBR with your XP Install disk in recovery mode and start fresh.

Boot from XP installation CD: Recovery Console: fixmbr

Instead of allowing Linux to overwrite your MBR, install GRUB or LILO on the root (/) partition and use Acronis OS Selector.

Edit: I see now that you have a MacBook, so the above might not apply to you.

Do you still want linux or not?

no, i don't

if i fix my mbr, will i have to reinstall mac on my macbook, or will bootcamp get rid of the partition?

Boot from XP installation CD: Recovery Console: fixmbr

Instead of allowing Linux to overwrite your MBR, install GRUB or LILO on the root (/) partition and use Acronis OS Selector.

it' s mac, justso you know, and to the second part. What??????

MBR is on a special part of the disk kind of like the EFI parttion although MBR is not visible. Next time install grub on the partition ie. dev/sda3 and not /dev/sda.

I don't think you need to install if you boot off a windows xp disk. then go to a recover console and type fixmbr.

no wait till it stops on that blue screen asking you to install. Youll see some options there. I thinks its the second one. Its "recovery console".

So just wait till it loads all the drivers and gives you a screen to choose what you want to do. Pick the recovery option.