Intel DG965WH Motherboard OS X Installation

LordSte

29 posts in this topic

This thread is meant to be a collection of success stories for installing Mac OS X on a computer with an Intel DG965WH motherboard.

I stayed up all night reading through the forums trying to get ANY version of OS X to install on an Intel DG965WH. I've seen that everyone who owns this motherboard has the dreaded "Still waiting for root device" error when trying to boot from the OS X disc. My machine also suffers from the same problem and after a whole night of reading and testing, I'm back at square one like most of the other people with this motherboard. However, during my search, I saw a few people that claim to have got this motherboard working, but their instructions were either wrong, or they were rather vague in their descriptions.

So what I'm asking is for anyone, who has successfully installed OS X with the Intel DG965WH motherboard inside their machine, to please provide us with detailed directions of what they did or post links to someone else's detailed directions. There are still a lot of us who are very close to shooting ourselves from trying to get this motherboard to work, so we will be greatly appreciate of your responses. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

:wink2: Guys! what version of OSX are you guys using? If I were you trying JAS 10.4.8 the latest one with ppf1, and ppf2, I have not inconter istall problem yet, But sorry guys, I have a diference board, but I have success install to 4 diference borad, Asus,my BadX2 intel board and 2 Abit, and one Abit on a AMD 64x2 939 socket and so far no problem!!! :)

Successfull story here

I've had install (Jas 10.4.8 Mifki Kernel ICH8 sata support 10.4.9 update) on a Intel DQ965gf mobo with a sata super drive Nec Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170S (successfull too with a Pioneer 111D ide in a usb board), defaults bios parameters last bios update (5869) i resolve the sound issue STAC9227 with HDA patcher and linux driver (Stereo only for the moment) and as i can't resolve the Lan issue with Intel 82566DM Gigabit Ethernet Controller, i 've got a PCI card (10 Euros) DLink DGE-528T with applying both RTL1xxx_1.02.pkg (and patching the RealtekR1000.kext with the 0x43001186) and MPIP103 fix

Everythings ok with 2 Go ram; Firewire, USB2, internet, Gigabit Lan, Sound, Full Video with Natit patch (7600GT sparkle) on 23 Apple Display 1920x1200 , works perfect with apple keyboard no problem with sleep (with Apple dvi display, no tested with another dvi, doesn't work with a vga)) and reboot mode

Will gone and try raid later but first i will test for a long time, the processeur is intel core 2 duo 1,86Ghz (quiet) and is as fast as my 2.5 Ghz Bi Power PC (noisy) but the old powermac is far better to multitasks yet

I will also work to 5.1 sound and Lan over 82566 if somebody could help me

Thank's

Please explain how you got past the "Waiting for root device" {censored}. I have been trying this for MONTHS since I got this board and still have not got it. I tried every option for setting SATA to boot to: RAID, IDE, AHCI, and none of them work. I have two identical 250GB SATA drives installed (unformatted, no RAID). I am using the JaS.Mac.OS.X.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.PPF.1.Defiant.diskutil.biker880.ich7-R.patch.Integrated

ICH8 and the 965 familly mobo never will boot with IDE drive so you have to either buy a sata drive (no matter the way you connect your sata drive and sata hard disk) or put your IDE drive in a external USB2 box (from a hard drive) just set in your bios to boot in priority to USB then F8 and -v to see first "Waiting for .. " then "Got boot device .." install with AHCI sata option - then set to IDE (with a sata drive) you probably have to play with reset button one time at the end of the install to reboot

That's all i think good luck

it is waiting for the DVD to boot not for the Sata disk, so put your install disk in your DVD burner in an external USB device set the priority to boot from USB in the bios (default i think) and also remove every IDE from the case and set the sata controller to AHCI if not works get a new image

My disk; JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only.iso with three option 10.4.8 update Mifki kernel and ICH8 Sata

holy {censored}, you're right! i never ever would have thought of that. installing right now... i guess it's time to invest in a couple SATA DVD-RW drives and let eBay have the IDEs.

edit: damnit. whole thing installed, but before it'll start up, it says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button." i've tried restarting. what happened?

holy {censored}, you're right! i never ever would have thought of that. installing right now... i guess it's time to invest in a couple SATA DVD-RW drives and let eBay have the IDEs.

edit: damnit. whole thing installed, but before it'll start up, it says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button." i've tried restarting. what happened?

Kernel Panic

install the last bios update from intel, check all hardware remove every pci cards, deconnect all devices except a sata disk and the dvd drive if not works try another image disk install

+ Disable COM and Serial Ports.

Thank you for your contribution

the benefice of the gigabyte is the overclocking

so i would like to say that the Intel DQ965gf seem to rock

i've just update with 8.9.1 kernel (with hpet) and the very few minor bugs i had went out particulary the sleep mode wich was fully fonctionnal with an DVI Apple display is now perfect with a VGA display also.

I've been trying to upgrade from my old asrock 775dual 915gl (which worked flawlessly w/osx86) , and I bought this board.

I'm not sold on this board yet. Not only it keeps disabling another PCI nic card (intel 10/100/1000) that I use to connect to my xbox.

but it doesn't seem to recognize my pyro 64 pci fw card at all. it doesn't even show up in device manager.

And this is in windows XP.

What sucks more is that I now have to buy an external USB enclosure JUST to install 10.4.8. And even still, I have to look forward to the built in card not working.

Aliab: How stable is it running for you?

have you run any pro apps on it at all? i,e FCP studio, motion, Logic, shake. etc.

I think I may just plunge the money and go full ATX with a D975XBX2

PS: Is your DVD-RW now back in the IDE channel and fully working?

yes i am doing many test with apps i usualy work with my powermac and very surprised by the stability (8.9.1)

the last one i do was encoding large files of video with a cluster of my powermac g5 and the hackintosh in Qmaster contribution and that was amazing, so i think to extend the principe of cluster over giga ethernet with others machine composed of simple mobo and hard disk without display and other hardware

i agree the donwnside of hackintosh is the lack of drivers

i have got a Sony Nec Optiarc sata superdrive and no more ide and no other hard drive or partition no dualboot Windows or linux

Last news i set now Sata control in the bios to AHCI and tried many configs with sata and also a Sata raid 0 in addition to simple Sata everythings works and the transferts are good 55Mo/s from a disk to another

No way to get working an IDE device

Well, I gave up on it. Bought myself a D975XBX2, an nvidia 7600 GT card, 2GB ddr2 800 ram.

Everything works. The old drive that I had on the asrock simply booted up without any problems whatsoever in the 975. Both ethernet and PCI ethernet cards work in windows and macos. The Pyro 64 PCI is recognized. All around a no conflict board.

I no longer have a micro atx based hackintosh. but that's ok.

I have to say, that the windows xp performance was nothing but pathetic on this DQ965gf board. Had it worked right in windows, I would've kept it, and deal with OSX later.

I got lucky and found a new clerk at tigerdirect, gave me a full refund on the opened board. no restocking fee.

Good luck to all of you with this 965 board.

:(

Well, I gave up on it. Bought myself a D975XBX2, an nvidia 7600 GT card, 2GB ddr2 800 ram.

Everything works. The old drive that I had on the asrock simply booted up without any problems whatsoever in the 975. Both ethernet and PCI ethernet cards work in windows and macos. The Pyro 64 PCI is recognized. All around a no conflict board.

I no longer have a micro atx based hackintosh. but that's ok.

I have to say, that the windows xp performance was nothing but pathetic on this DQ965gf board. Had it worked right in windows, I would've kept it, and deal with OSX later.

I got lucky and found a new clerk at tigerdirect, gave me a full refund on the opened board. no restocking fee.

Good luck to all of you with this 965 board.

:dance_24:

Great, this board and chipset seems to be best, really one of the most simple install i heard about, i personnaly deal with the DQ965gf because it was the board i bought to got a PC a few month ago and i am very very happy with this board very stable fast and reliable

So thank you for your contribution and please tell us more about your config as i want to get a new board for another config

One very important thing is that i heard it has overclocking possibilities in the bios: Is that exact ?

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

School just got out, so I had time to screw around with this OS X install again. I finally got the basic install working after a few days. I'm still trying to get the audio and gigabit LAN working. I'll post back with full instructions once I try to tackle these other issues.

Success Story with 10.4.9 and Intel DG965SS

- Installed JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 under VMWare (on real partition)

- upgraded with koolkal 10.4.9 combo update intel sse3 hpet (inside VMWare)

- selected Patches for ICH8

- Reboot (select AHCI Method for SATA Controller in BIOS)

voila!

For integrated Sigmatel Audio Controller use HDA patcher (just search for it in forum search)

For Intel 82566DC Gigabit Ethernet Controller there is no working driver atm :(

Greetz,

Nord

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=52036

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=52533

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=52520

These are the three other threads I found with the same problem. I'm new and don't know any admins. Someone please tell them to sticky a "Still Waiting for root device" thread so that users can easily get help for this seemingly common problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Success Story with 10.4.9 and Intel DG965SS

- Installed JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3 under VMWare (on real partition)

- upgraded with koolkal 10.4.9 combo update intel sse3 hpet (inside VMWare)

- selected Patches for ICH8

- Reboot (select AHCI Method for SATA Controller in BIOS)

voila!

For integrated Sigmatel Audio Controller use HDA patcher (just search for it in forum search)

For Intel 82566DC Gigabit Ethernet Controller there is no working driver atm sad.gif

Greetz,

Nord

Can someone share good working real HD image for dg965wh. I do believe it will solve all our problems. Thx in advance.

• 1 month later...

I think this would be a great board for hackintosh if we could solve the marvell pata ide port support and the onboard 82566DC lan support. Used a custom installed system for testing (The base system installer came from a Mac Pro 10.4.9 DVD then updated to 10.4.10) and everything works except pata ide and oboard lan.

AHCI.jpg

DG965SS

Intel® G965 Express Chipset, consisting of:

• Intel® 82G965 Graphics Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)

• Intel® 82801HB I/O Controller Hub (ICH8)

DQ965GF

Intel® Q965 Express Chipset, consisting of:

• Intel® 82Q965 Graphics Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)

• Intel® 82801HO I/O Controller Hub (ICH8DO)

DG965WH

Intel® G965 Express Chipset, consisting of:

• Intel® 82G965 Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)

• Intel® 82801 I/O Controller Hub (ICH8). Refer to Table 2 on page 11 for a list

of manufacturing options for the ICH8 component.

(from Table 2)

One of the following:

• Intel® 82801HR ICH8R

• Intel® 82801HH ICH8DH

my device id in AHCI is 2821... is that one included in the ICH8 patch (kext)?

• 2 months later...