10.4.8 Live DVD and Installer Beta Test

Rammjet

46 posts in this topic

I took another way.

As my external HDD wasn`t booting after all procedures, I put it inside the PC and installed OSX as I would save on the LiveDVD.

Used the installer and burned the ISO.

Now I`m typing from it. It took about 15 minutes to give access to the System. But some operations take to long as they boot from the DVD and I never liked my Pioneer A109 to read stuff, but it`s a great burner.

Great job.

I`m running with 120 Mb of RAMDISK (I got 2 GB), does it affect the system performance?

Will try with my 10.4.9 now.

This is really AWESOME!!! :)

I'm typing this message from the LIVE DVD right now. Only small issue is that my keyboard was not detected. After the boot process a wizard came up to configure the correct keyboard.

I also tried to use this Live DVD on another system, almost similar, but no luck. The video is a bit different (also Nvidia). Would be nice to create a more generic disk.

I'm also wondering what's impact of the size of the ramdisk. Would be nice to create a automatic script that will look at the size of your internal mem, and will create a ramdisk according this.

And what about making a USB Boot disk? Since 4GB USB Sticks dropped in price a USB disk would be a better alternative.

Very good job!!

Only small issue is that my keyboard was not detected. After the boot process a wizard came up to configure the correct keyboard.

I had the same problem but just reconected the USB keyboard and the detection wizard went fine.

Today I tried to boot the same LIVE DVD made and tested on my rig (specs on the sig) on a brand new Toshiba Satellite notebook (Satellite a105-s4254 T2050), and everything was going fine when suddenly a LOGIN WINDOW appeared.

I made the 10.4.8 installation for building the LIVEDVD without password and now on the Toshiba it´s asking for user and password.

I´ve tried the username I used with blank password and couldn´t boot.

And now?

Is it running as SysAdmin? Short name root? Password?

Thanks, but I missed this information somewhere?

Will try now.

>>>> EDIT <<<<<

Just tried but it was a no go.

User or Password is not correct.

The loginwindow shakes and I can´t get pass through it.

Any ideas?

This kinda problem is related to the drive's controller, that isn't compatible, or there is no support on OSX.

Well. Tried the DVD on another machine. Requires login/password, but root/bootcd are not working.

Now, on another PC I get this:

netinfo connection failed for 127.0.01/local....

couldn't find root user, sleeping and trying again.

This one with a VIA CHIPSET

Just a question. I am installing Tubegirls 10.4.8 and I was wondering if these are the full OSX installs. Including most of the apps that usually come with OSX. Like garage band and iLife. If it doesn't come with it is it possible to download and install them?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

Where can I get the latest DVD iso that can be installed on an AMD 64 X2 processor based PC?

I am very new to MacOS but would love to try it and use it instead of Windows.

Thanks,

Laci

nice work! I was wondering, if i have a JaS 10.4.8 installer iso, can i edit it to be a live dvd (with the os usable instead of just the installer)? I don't really want to partition my machine with a new OSX installation.

If so, how? thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  1. Create a new partition with OSX 10.4.8 and 8.8.1 kernel. Configure it as you would like your Live DVD to be. Make sure it is smaller than the size of a DVD since that is what it must fit on.

To install 10.4.8 on your partition, it is best to follow the Pastebin or Paulicat methods.

As a minimum, install 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 and get it functioning. Then install the Apple 10.4.8 Combo update. Before reboot, be sure to install the 8.8.1 kernel. And install the Paulicat AppleSMBIOS.kext. After reboot, configure your installation as you would like your Live DVD to be.

10.4.8 and 8.8.1 kernel resources can be found here.
  2. ...

I'd like to create a Live DVD for my SantaRosa MBP using the official DVDs that came with it. At this point I'm not at all concerned about the Live DVD's universality, so would it be safe to skip all but the first two sentences of Step 1?

Thanks,

DrCR