QEMU

mifki

20 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

@Kiko:

What revision of DUET are you using? Is it the latest stable development version from edk.tianocore?

If so, what is the version of boot.efi you have? Unmodified? Or stripped? I found 3 different boot.efi files in the archive, but dont know what your using currently.

Also using vmware or any other emulation software tends to mess things up with DUET trying to boot an OS.

Booting Linux was no problem from the DUET-usb drive here ...

So if I get a "supposed" to work boot.efi I can test more, Im stuck atm :hysterical: (maybe make sticky with current "releases" for testing etc)

Also extracting with xfv-3 I get all garbage .efi files (names I mean are GUID's? ... file used: "LOCKED_MP11_005C_04B.fd")

/edit: what kernel are you using? Build from xnu sources?

For those having problems building DUET get Visual Studio Express 2005 + Platform SDK + WinDDK.

Install MASM32v9R into default folder (C:\masm32)

Install MASM611 into default folder (C:\masm611)

Open console.

Set the path with: "set path=%path%;c:\masm32\bin" (no quotes ofc)

Load the VSE2k5 envsettings then the PSDK envsettings.

Goto the DUET dir

Try building again (nmake efi32)

Or read the readme ;)

I was using the latest as of the november patch, im gonna work on efi some more now, so im going to get the latest build. Im using a non-patched kernel, and use any of the boot.efi files.

Well im working on EFI alot lately, so you are using a non patchedd kernel (I assume 10.4.9 kernel from the update?)

Then I got 4 boot files (boot.efi mod_boot.efi dec_boot.efi and dec_mod_boot.efi) so I just take the boot.efi and mod_boot.efi to test?

Also downloading this windows ISO so I dont have to use my brothers PC to compile over and over again ><

Another warning DO NOT try to use DUET in an emulation suite, it seems to screw things up atleast I {censored}ed over my USB drive trying to boot from it in VMware (booting linux) and it doesnt when I try native .....

(It hangs right after loading kernel and {censored}s over USB drive, in native it loads kernel (waits 1-2secs) boots linux ...)

/edit: forgot to mention I had to remake the USB drive to be bootable, windows took about half an hour to complete the "format phase" but it did work again ><

whoopyy i found a way how to use temporary firmware on my laptop pc, firmware are loading from floppy disk, now i need to figure out how to add efishell on that temporary firmware and i could use shell on my hardware without any emulation :P

whoopyy i found a way how to use temporary firmware on my laptop pc, firmware are loading from floppy disk, now i need to figure out how to add efishell on that temporary firmware and i could use shell on my hardware without any emulation :thumbsup_anim:

Btw why aren't you on IRC anymore?

How far did you guys get?

I would like to test the EFI environment and see if I can do anything for this project. I have some experience related to making multi-bootable ISOs and some BIOS hacking. If you could use my help, PM me or just post here.

• 2 years later...

For those who want to try EDK DUET, I have already compiled it (all the 4 builds). Go to this link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186440 or download link https://tiano-efi-duet-folder-sk.4shared.com . The EFI_DUET.exe file is a 7-zip LZMA2 self-extracting (in Windows only) archive.

Alternatively you guys can also check this out https://edk2.tianocore.org/OVMF.html (site moved to tianocore.sourceforge.net).

• 3 months later...

Keshav thank you for this script however it seems there are errors in your bat file. It works or not depending on the EFI DTK you chose, many "file not found" when copying (especially about refit files). I tried to have a look myself but it gave me a headache.

EDIT : Ok it was just because of case when typing the dtk. You must type it in upper case, you should warn about this somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I would like to install mac os X leopard in QEMU 0.11.0 on linux (fedora 12). However I am completely lost in all the terms such as boot-132 and so on. I also completely do not understand what "versions" of "install disks" are available to download via torrent. I have downloaded some "patched" version 10.6.2 with "pc efi", "boot 9-4 by netkas" and "chameleon 2 rc3". I really do not know what that means but it doesn't work.

So all in all - could somebody please pinch me in the right direction?

I do want to download a ISO file (not DMG etc), otherwise QEMU won't be able to read it. Please tell me what to look for, all I want is to try mac os x in qemu under linux.

It's far too difficult to search because almost everybody wants to run os x in

a) dualboot

:wacko: singleboot

c) virtual in vmware or virtualbox

But I want to use QEMU. My CPU supports AMD hardware virtualisation, qemu uses KVM. CPU also supports SSE3.

When run in QEMU, the bootloader works, the help works, but no matter what boot options I use, the VM restarts immediately after showing the "apple logo". Verbose output does not show anything important.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
For those who want to try EDK DUET, I have already compiled it (all the 4 builds). Go to this link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186440 or download link https://tiano-efi-duet-folder-sk.4shared.com . The EFI_DUET.exe file is a 7-zip LZMA2 self-extracting (in Windows only) archive.

Alternatively you guys can also check this out https://edk2.tianocore.org/OVMF.html (site moved to tianocore.sourceforge.net).

Thanks a lot Keshav for your compiled firmwares. By the way, the embedded link for EFI_DUET.exe is incorrect, only the caption is OK.