What plain Unix distros are there?

Guest Ramm

35 posts in this topic

Well, for some reason, I changed the res from 1024*768 to 1280*1024, and the whole thing went bonkers. Not video wise, the video was fine. At least I could see my computer being killed in a nice resolution ;)

What plain Unix distros are there? Not linux, not BSD, just Unix.

I suppose Solaris could be considered a Unix OS (it is, in fact). In my opinion it sucks as a desktop OS, but you can always try it for free:

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/

However it has a few derivatives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIX#2000_to_present

See also Distrowatch:

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category...p;status=Active

Bah...I used some type of BSD once - killed my whole system. Not going down that trail again

It most likely was caused by the infamous "geometry bug". It has been known for years, but The FreeBSD developers couldn't care less. Other BSDs do not suffer of it, though.

*looks around* no one is going to ask about the geometry bug?

Here is some info:

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=review-freebsd

"One thing that might bite you with the partitioning tool is the notorious "geometry bug" which has plagued FreeBSD for a long time. You might see an error message during the partitioning process advising you of "incorrect geometry" and asking you to type the real one. When you are at the screen called the "Fdisk partition editor", hit "g" (for "set drive geometry") - this should automatically correct the problem without you having to type in the numerical values. If you don't make this correction, FreeBSD will most likely install fine, but your hard disk will have a geometry error (which means that the operating system thinks the hard disk is a different size than it really is). Although not a fatal error, if you later install Linux on the hard drive, the installer might notice the geometry error and abort, which could be frustrating and has been known to cause users to start banging their head against the wall (note that a concussion can ruin your whole day). Hopefully, this bug will be quashed soon."

Yeah I noticed this problem, but it never affected me. Linux would say "your disk is reporting blah, theres nothing wrong with that ..." but I think newer distros can detect this so it will not be fatal.

It isn't only Linux. Every partitioning utility will report that your HD geometry is fubar and many will refuse to work.

Where can I download Darwin?

I tried Solaris, but after install, on boot, I get some local host name error ("sleeping for retry")

Nevermind....I got an HFS+ partition error after installing Darwin.......

Edited by Ramm

Linux is *ALMOST* the same thing like unix. I think linux was unix ported to the x86 architecture by Linus.

A very good stable LINUX distro is Slackware Linux. Thats as close as you'll get

Edited by MasterofComputers

Prasys had told me to try OpenSolaris instead. Is it less picky? I don't want to waste another DVD before I see an opinion/comparison.

OpenSolaris distros:

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category...p;status=Active

BeleniX, Nexenta OS, Schillix.

I have never tried any of the above, but Nexenta looks like the most promising.

Hmm.... I will take the leap and try I guess

Nexenta is only 1 cd -- 600mb? Kinda small.....but whatever.

I just burn it to a CD I hope.

LOL! The installer has Tetris in it!

Edited by Ramm

Short history lesson for Ramm and any other interested parties...

UNIX itself was developed by AT&T's developers at Bell Labs in the 60's/70's by some boffins including Dennis Ritchie, famous as the creator of the C programming language, and one of the authors of the book 'The C Programming Language', which is commonly known in academic circles as 'Kernighan and Ritchie' or simply 'K&R', as it is the definitive reference on C.

Today, the term UNIX is owned by The Open Group, a standards organisation, who put forward a specification and certification processes known as the Single Unix Specification. Vendors of UNIX-alike software (including Linux, BSD and Darwin/Mac OS X) can submit their OSes for certification by The Open Group - and in fact this is what Apple intends to do with Leopard. If and when The Open Group certify Leopard as meeting the Single Unix Specification, Apple can truly call Leopard 'UNIX', whereas for example FreeBSD or Linux are, strictly-speaking, UNIX-alikes.

BSD stands for Berkeley Standard Distribution (... of UNIX). Its the flavour of UNIX which was developed at the world-famous University of California at Berkeley.

This image will give you a visual picture of how the various modern UNIXes and UNIX-alike OSes evolved from the ideas pioneered at Bell Labs.

And that concludes our history lesson for this evening :)