Install Leopard without DL-DVD?

igul222

21 posts in this topic

Condensed options...

Remove Xcode from Leopard and burn to a SL DVD.

Restore Leopard.dmg to an external hard drive.

Repartition your hard drive, creating a 10GB partition at the end and restore Leopard.dmg to it. (added bonus is you can use it for TimeMachine when done)

Then, you can install.

If you need more info on any of those options, let me know which one you are looking for and I will help you with it.

Condensed options...

Remove Xcode from Leopard and burn to a SL DVD.

Restore Leopard.dmg to an external hard drive.

Repartition your hard drive, creating a 10GB partition at the end and restore Leopard.dmg to it. (added bonus is you can use it for TimeMachine when done)

Then, you can install.

If you need more info on any of those options, let me know which one you are looking for and I will help you with it.

if i choose the first option, can i install xcode later from the iso with pacifist?

1) As I said in another post, most commercial DVD Movies are DL (they all store more than 4.7 GB), so therefore every DVD player can read that.

2) If you have a PPC mac and a firewire iPod or an Intel mac and have any iPod do the following:

a) make sure all of your music is backed up. then, plug in the iPod. If the iPod is not showing up on the desktop, make sure that disk use is enabled (do this from iTunes)

:rolleyes: open disk utility and drag the .dmg to the left panel (the white one with your drives listed)

c) Click your iPod on the left panel. Then, hit the restore tab at the top-ish center-ish

d) From the left, drag the .dmg over the white box next to source and drag the iPod to destination. Check erase destination.

e) Hit restore and wait. Note: you may need to close iTunes or anything else accessing the iPod

f) Shut down the computer. After it is fully off, hold option, and press the on button. Release the on button in the regular fasion, but continue pressing the option button until you reach the boot-drive selection screen.

g) wait until your iPod shows up, and select the iPod to boot from.

h) follow the on-screen direction and enjoy the beta!

Thanks for taking care of that for me, Fizzeh.

That is exactly what I would have posted.

I firmly believe that if people think that they can not read a dual-layer disc because they only have a DVD-RW (SL), then they have no place trying to install Beta OSes. That and people who post knowingly wrong information as fact for the purposes of upsetting people should be castrated.

You need to restore the disk image with Disk Utility.

So, open Disk Utility

Select the disk that you want to install leopard FROM

Click the Restore Tab

Drag your Leopard DMG to the Source box

Drag your usable partition to the Destination box

Click Erase Destination

Click Restore

When done, reboot, hold Option and select the partition.

how i would do it using an ipod (3g, 15 gig), an external hd and an intel imac

1. backup songs, then wipe the ipod (itt'll warn you that youll lose ipod functionality) in disk utility

2. partition/format the ipod. on intel macs make sure its a GUID partition table so you can start up from it. restore leopard disk image to ipod

3. partition/format the ext. hd to be whatever size, if on an intel mac make it GUID partition table (under optioins in disk utility)

4. boot from ipod (hold down option while starting up, select the ipod)

5. install leopard from ipod to external hd

6. boot leopard from external hd

7. done! you can use the wiped ipod as a time machine backup drive now, or to restore ipod functionality use the ipod utility (or itunes) to restore the ipod to factory settings

:thumbsup_anim: IN HAVE AMD 3000 + I HAVE TESTED THIS METHOD...I WANT RUN LEOPARD ON MY PC NOT IN MAC.

INSTALL TIGER :whistle: MADE TWO PARTITION A AND B.

COPY LEOPARD DMG ON DESKTOP IN TIGER

INSTALL CARBON COPY CLONER. CLONE DVD INSTALL INTO PARTITION B.

INSERT USB HD NOT FIREWIRE :rolleyes: BUT NORMAL USB 2.0.

RUN IN PARTITION 2 WHERE LEOPARD CLONE GO TO UTILITIES RUN DISK UTILITY AND CHOOSEUSB DRIVE GUID PARTITION AND CLOSE...REOPEN PARTITION 2 LEOPARD CLONE INSTALL SEARCH OSINSTALL AND CLICK THIS...UR EXTERAL DISK NOW IS READY TO BOOT AND INSTALL LEOPARDI M A SUPER WINDOWS USER. I USE MAC FOR 5 DAY AND I RESOLVE THE CASE OF INSTALL LEOPARD IN EXTERNAL DISK.

I HAVE ONLY ONE BUG WHEN LEOPARD SHOW ME MAC OSX CONSOLLE USER AND PASSWORD AND I STOP IN BSD CONSOLLE.

I THINK LEOPARD STOP FOR HARDWARE IN MY PC. ANY IDEAS?FOR THIS PROBLEM?

CIAO CIAO FROM ITALY

There are already several people who have Leopard working under non-Apple computers, however they do not want to publically disclose how they have done it at this time.

Point is that every Leopard build is vunerable to this kind of modification.

If the people responsible for this publish their guide right now, then Apple can patch it before the release of 10.5.

Once we get a final version of 10.5 released, I am certain that they will not have an issue releasing their howto.

I like having international users, but please follow by some conventions. Please do not type in ALL CAPS, and while bold is helpful, it is distracting here. Also, if your are not a native English speaker, please check your grammar a few times. Mistakes are acceptable, but please try your best.

I have had to do this myself using only my Powerbook's 80gb hard drive.

For the partitioning, I used gparted in a Ubuntu Live CD, as it can rewrite the partiton map without wiping all the partitions.

1. Partition your hard drive into 3 (one 60gb, two 10gb)

2. Install Tiger on the large partition.

3. Download the Leopard install .dmg.

4. Restore the .dmg onto one of the 10gb partitions.

5. Boot from the install partition and run the installer as normal into the other 10gb partition.

6. Once the install is done, go back to Tiger and create a .dmg of the newly installed copy of Leopard - KEEP THIS DMG SAFE!

7. Fire up gparted again and merge the two 10gb partitons.

8. Back to Tiger and restore the dmg onto the new 20gb partiton and reboot into Leopard!

Hope this works for you - I don't even have a DVD burner, so I have to do this all the time (I have got it down to a fine art!)

• 8 months later...

I am in need of some help. I am trying to back up my Leopard DVD to a DVD-DL, with no success.

I think the issue is that I cannot make the DVD bootable. Can someone explain to me what I need to do (including what options I need to select).

Here is what I have tried:

In 10.4.10

1. Open Disk Utility

2. Highlight "Mac OS X Install DVD" in the left

3. Click "Create New Image"

4. I name the file "Mac OS X Install DVD" and I select the options of Image Format "DVD/CD Master" and Encryption "None"

5. I click save

6. When the image is finished I eject the Leopard DVD.

7. I then insert a blank Dual Layer DVD

8. I go back to Disk Utility

9. I highlight the Mac OS X Install DVD

10. I click Burn.

I have created two DVD's that appear to be install DVD's, but they are not bootable. I see a lot of posts saying remember to make it bootable, but I don't know how to do this, or even in which step that is done (in creating the image or burning the DVD).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 6 months later...

First of all, thanks for this topic, lots of ideas, I've been trying to create a backup DVD and now I'm back to Tiger but have the .dmg so I can make the backup before installing it. Can I do this without erasing everything on my iPod?

@ND I thought you have to have a sparseimage?