My attempt at a G5 Hackintosh Mod

Nykwil

25 posts in this topic

Hey guys...been browsing through the OSx86 threads here hoping to try and get OSX to work on a PC I was going to build...figured I'd try my hand at fitting the stuff into a G5 case...and oh...i dunno...watercooling it...and not with some lame premade kit either.

Anyway I'm halfway done...still need to wait for some watercooling parts

enjoy the pics

pics further down the thread

Definitly not finished yet...i wanted to save space in the lower portion of my case so I can place a pump and radiator without having space being canabalized by a PSU. My solution was to place the PSU on the drive tray...and cut an opening in the bottom for the fan to vent air. The dive tray is also sliced in half ( i need to sand it to smooth it out some) so i can service thinggs like the hdd and add modular cables without having to take out the psu with the tray and without having to remove the motherboard tray.

I screwed some holes in the drive tray under the Dvd drive and mounted my hard drive under that.

specs:

CPU: core 2 duo e6600

Ram: Corsair xms2 2gig ddr2 800

Mobo: Gigabyte 965P-DQ6

HDD: Seagate 7200.10 500gb

PSU: Seasonic M12 600w

The motherboard tray was from a coolermaster wavemaster case

(Thanks to aquamac for answering some of my questions and for some inspirations)

My watercooling loop is going to consist of:

2x120mm radiator

2x120mm Noctua fans

D-Tek Fuzion CPU Waterblock

Aquaxtreme MP1 GPU waterblock

Swiftech mini res

Laing ddc pump

7/16" ID masterkleer tubing

Watercooling the rig is phase 2 of my project by the way

Edited by Nykwil

where'd you get the case?

i cant seem to find one online

and im planning on building a computer too, i might try your config because its my 1st time.

but ive got a couple of quests

1. where's u get the case

2.what gfx card should i get? X1950XTX?

3. which cd\vdv burner should i get (i want your grey one)

4. here's a list of things i've got...

Mobo, HDD, PSU, CPU, and gfx card, what (other than cd\dvd drive) am i missing?

where'd you get the case?

i cant seem to find one online

and im planning on building a computer too, i might try your config because its my 1st time.

but ive got a couple of quests

1. where's u get the case

2.what gfx card should i get? X1950XTX?

3. which cd\vdv burner should i get (i want your grey one)

4. here's a list of things i've got...

Mobo, HDD, PSU, CPU, and gfx card, what (other than cd\dvd drive) am i missing?

I got the case on ebay just search for "G5 case"

or you can purchase it from allmac.com or mac-pro.com

The dvd-drive I'm using is a samsung sata dvd-rw drive. I got it from newegg...there's not that many sata dvd drives so it shouldnt be hard to find. It has 18x speed and can burn a plethora of methods.

the x1950xtx is a lot cheaper than the highest end solution (geforce 8800gtx), I got it for 299 for an open box oem version from newegg and it's a pretty high end card within itself. i read a few threads on the forum where people were able to get to x1950xtx working with 0Sx86.

Edited by Nykwil

is it this 1?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827151141

and i cant find a g5 case, non of the ones on ebay ships to canada and i cant find any case on allmac.com or mac-pro.com.

do you have to do anything to the case to install a ATX mobo in there?

yeah thats the drive that i have.

You need to call up allmac or macpro and ask if they have any in stock and are willing to sell it. (that's how i found out that macpro would sell me a case.)

Rarely will you actually find it on the website.

emailing customer service helps too

to install the atx motherboard i needed to cut out the back of the g5 case big enough to fit in the coolermaster motherboard tray. I drilled holes in the back of the case and tray and made sure they were lined up properly...i will be attaching the back with screws and nuts. I also went and drilled some holes in the tray to match up with some of the standoffs on the case but when i screwed those into place I couldnt install the motherboard without the screws touching the bottom of the case. In any case though with the screws in the back of the case in place it shouldn't be a problem and I can just not screw the tray into side of the g5 case.

Edited by Nykwil

• 3 weeks later...
is it this 1?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827151141

and i cant find a g5 case, non of the ones on ebay ships to canada and i cant find any case on allmac.com or mac-pro.com.

do you have to do anything to the case to install a ATX mobo in there?

Just to know: http://www.allmac.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=4157

But pay attention, my G5 case that i have ordered from Allmac was not new !!!! And some alu parts are folded like the first defekt G5 !

Sincerely

Hey guys...been browsing through the OSx86 threads here hoping to try and get OSX to work on a PC I was going to build...figured I'd try my hand at fitting the stuff into a G5 case...and oh...i dunno...watercooling it...and not with some lame premade kit either.

<CUT>

Nykwil, can you fix the pictures so that we can see ?

Regards, Per.

Uh i've long abandoned this thread...but i have pics in the "How to fit a PC in a G5 Powermac Enclosure" it's stickied.

You're free to look at the pics there.

Pics are on the last page.

*edit*

Ah what the hell, I'll repost em in here.

dsc00122largejq6.jpg

mac11024fy4.jpg

mac21024io5.jpg

170ci0.jpg

171ng3.jpg

172jh3.jpg

173fs6.jpg

174cz4.jpg

175fd0.jpg

176nj2.jpg

21482563mg5.jpg

42456777ia1.jpg

13872938vb6.jpg

71593823ky2.jpg

I dont leave the ccfl on when the case is closed...i only turn it on to light up what i need to look at inside the case...it's off otherwise.

vids of it booting up for the 1st time:

This was the 1st time booting it up I still had a cd in the tray and i didn't optimize the bios yet...it boots up a lot faster now

Currently I've successfully over clocked it from 2.4 ghz to 3.4ghz

Idle temps range from 29-32c

Load temps range from 48-51c

Benchmarks are great, I've posted my benchmarks for various OSX benchmarks and theyre pretty decent scores, Look for em in the benchmarks forum.

Edited by Nykwil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i don't understand ????!!!!, why don't you simply weld wires on those button's pins on the small board ????!!!!! :)

it is a normal button !!!!!

and the USB and FW connectors have pins too... :rolleyes:

with finding real pins layout, all that you can have is the flashing led (when it's in sleep mode....) ;)

modding a little bit this small card is easy and just works !!!! :angel:

• 3 weeks later...
i don't understand ????!!!!, why don't you simply weld wires on those button's pins on the small board ????!!!!! :pirate2:

it is a normal button !!!!!

and the USB and FW connectors have pins too... :pirate2:

with finding real pins layout, all that you can have is the flashing led (when it's in sleep mode....) :pirate2:

modding a little bit this small card is easy and just works !!!! :pirate2:

got "how-to" ?

p.s.- nykwil: any chance you could list or link all the screws and rivets you used to mount everything? all the little pieces of metal on homedepot.com are giving me a headache haha

got "how-to" ?

p.s.- nykwil: any chance you could list or link all the screws and rivets you used to mount everything? all the little pieces of metal on homedepot.com are giving me a headache haha

I forget the number for them but they were like 12mm long and 3mm wide hex screws and nuts from amazon.

if you search for em you should be able to find em.

http://www.amazon.com/LONG-Cap-SCREW-12mm-...516&sr=8-11

Ok I've been reluctant to post this pic of the pinouts because...well I didn't make it...my engineering brother did.

but hopefully you can understand it.

The I/O board was the biggest pain in the ass for me

this thing refers to my motherboard

Everything works except for the audio port...i can hear out of it in windows but it just plain acts up and doesnt SEEM to detect properly...i'm not sure.

it's high res so u can see everything.

also disregard the power on i ended up using a multimeter and figuring out which leads turn the machine on when activated properly. Also the LED on the power button wont turn on...i found out the hard way that the IO board has some sort of weird switching system that if you try to connect it to a pc mobos led leads it will loop on an off over and over.

no biggie i rigged my own leds right above the button.

i hope it helps please dont ask me any more questions about it...i just installed it and forgot about it cuz it was such a friggen pain just for the power button alone.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9673/fr...elpinoutuf6.jpg

PLEASE DON'T YELL AT ME IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT...use it as a guide, and best of all...learn to work out your own solutions. I asked pple for help on this project too...but when it came down to the nitty gritty i figured out the solution on my own (ex: I had to determine where i wanted the psu and if it would work out...where i would place the hdd...how to route the cables around...what screws to use etc...) which can sometime take days. In the end though it is extremely satisfying.

Thats plain awesome! I'm new to hackintosh, how well does the PC modded version of OSX run compared to the original that runs on Macs? I have a MBP but I'm interested in making a Hackintosh system.

it's my main OS....i have vista on a separate partition but i dont even boot into it and im contemplating getting rid of vista all together.

I love it, it runs really well.

thanks much nykwil. i don't mean to sound so needy. i'm simply a rather visual learner, so i absorb information best if i can see the end result, or better, the process. i can figure things out on my own, but with a project like this, i'm a bit reluctant because of the dollar amount involved

thanks again, very much

• 1 month later...

had to boot into my dusty vista partition in order to stress test my 3.2ghz oc on my new quad core chip.

8hrs32ghzhd5.jpg

32idledw3.jpg

idle temps in OS X are 44-46c

i plan on voiding my warranty and lapping my cpu to drop the temps a few more c's

Hey, I just thought about getting my hardware in a g5 case too. But I would like to know if I could take an other motherboard tray then the one from the Coolermaster Wavemaster.

I don't see why you can't. As long as you are able to cut an opening cleanly and nice enough in the back of the G5 case to slide in the motherboard tray and secure it with screws/rivets I'm sure it would work. When I was planning out this project, I too, was going to use a different motherboard tray because I couldn't find a tray from a wavemaster case.

In the end, however, I just gave cooolermaster's customer service a call and they sold me one at a very reasonable price. (came out to be around 24 dollars)

• 5 months later...