Apple Front Row Copies MS Media Center

track09

27 posts in this topic

I just want everyone to think logically, for a second, and put their fanboyism to the side. We know that Apple took fast user switching from Microsoft, and they even admitted to it. Does anyone else see front row as a rip of MS Media Center, which was out far earlier. Come on, it has all the same features, and it's the same concept. Sure, there are subtle differences, but it's very close. IMO, Media Center kicks Front Row's ass, but that's not the issue here. How many Apple users can I get to pony up and admit that Apple coppied MS at least once too.

I Still don't see why people have these threads, anybody who admits that apple never copies anyone and is all original should be shot. Every OS copies each other, no point in having these threads, next it will be like OMG OMG windows copied iWork06 with office 2007. But thats just stupid, if theres a need for a function, the company will implement it, i can say that microsoft copied me, as i had coded a media center sort of app in delphi years b4 media center came out (sure it didn't go fullscreen or do 1/2 the stuff MCE does) but they still copied my concept.

To make you happy, apple did not copy, they just implemented a Media Center program for Mac OS

I Still don't see why people have these threads, anybody who admits that apple never copies anyone and is all original should be shot. Every OS copies each other, no point in having these threads, next it will be like OMG OMG windows copied iWork06 with office 2007. But thats just stupid, if theres a need for a function, the company will implement it, i can say that microsoft copied me, as i had coded a media center sort of app in delphi years b4 media center came out (sure it didn't go fullscreen or do 1/2 the stuff MCE does) but they still copied my concept.

To make you happy, apple did not copy, they just implemented a Media Center program for Mac OS

my thoughts exactly. ty

Oh noes! I've given birth to a fleet of people who agree with me! What hath I wrought? :)

hahah, no, ive always thought that, because oss are a personal opinion, like religion, everyone has theyre favorite and says the others are {censored}.

how else are you going to design a media center interface that allows you a menu based access to music, videos, photo etc? are you gonna call Sony a copycat too for implementing a media center interface in Playstation 3? FrontRow is more of a rip off of the iPod interface than Windows Media Center.

Here we go with the mac fanboys. THATS YOUR OPINION. It's always, if Apple did it, it's better. No, they didn't really copy it. BLA BLA FRICKING BLA.

Make sure you get a TV tuner that has a kext, or no support. No kexts on the Driver CD, just windows drivers.

I'm not calling anyone a copycat, I'd just like people to acknowledge that Apple actually copies MS once and a while.

On a serious note, does anyone know if Leopard is going to have Cable Card 2.0 support?

mmm, yeah i agree that apple was probably like....hmm, media center pc's seem to be up and coming, we should make one! So they did. And i would agree that microsofts is better, because of the fact that it has tv integration and so on. Yet, i will say that i like apples interface better. Its nice and clean and classier looking. Plus, i love the effect where ur desktop like fades away into the back when u enter front row.

mmm, yeah i agree that apple was probably like....hmm, media center pc's seem to be up and coming, we should make one! So they did. And i would agree that microsofts is better, because of the fact that it has tv integration and so on. Yet, i will say that i like apples interface better. Its nice and clean and classier looking. Plus, i love the effect where ur desktop like fades away into the back when u enter front row.

Media center brought a certain idea: create an all-inclusive application that would let you browse your computer's videos, music, pictures, etc from one single location in an organized way. Another crucial aspect is the ability to control all your media via a remote control.

I don't know if Windows was the first operating system to have something like this, but Apple definitely wasn't original by any means with Front Row. I know Front Row runs smoother and has more graphical eye candy, and Media Center has much much much more features than Front Row. Even so, if it comes down to who did it first out of the two companies: Microsoft. :D

The best media center is XBMC

shot01hf6.jpg

Finally! Another enlightened soul :P

I happen to like Front Row better than Microsoft's Media Center. Sure, it's a bit more sparse, but if I don't have access to a modded Xbox I'll pick Front Row any day. Overall I just think it looks nicer.

Then again, I'm not a huge user of Media Center stuff. So what do I know?

Edited by ErBiC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Linux has had MythTV for agers and Front Row is nothing like Media Center since it's very similar to iPod.

It has been there longer than Media Center or Front Row. Not to mention that it cleans house in all areas compared to them. I actually for quite some time have totally replaced Front Row with MythTV frontend on the mac.

Something about free unmolested content is appealing to me unlike the alternatives :(

Apple may copy Microsoft. But at least when they do something they do it right.. Apple simply kicks ass.

Let's not go nuts here. Mac OS probably got its quircks like any other OS. Just because it's blue and shiny, doesn't automatically mean it kicks ass :thumbsup_anim:

You talk about doing it right? Well to take one example: Beryl<-->Spaces. As far as the Spaces demo shows, you have got basic XGL/Compiz functionality, you don't even get to see a cube or whatever.

Compare that to the list of plugins on the Beryl wiki, which is extensive by any stretch of imagination.

I'm not really a connaisseur, but it seems to me that Apple does things the sleek and simple way. That may be cool for you, but there are equally as many people out there, who would consider the "lack" of options a severe drawback.

Edited by Soliber

and MCE is {censored} compared to FR

:censored2: not quite.... it can network your whole house no problem.... ist a good program, but seriously, im tired of apple fanboys (actually just fanboys, and no that was not aimed at you aberracus, ex: itmandan... something like that. if your gonna go all fanboy at least justify it!)