Processor Choices for Gigabyte Motherboard

7 posts in this topic

Hi! I want to build my first computer, which will run OSx86 until I get a MacBook Pro when Leopard comes out. Then this will become my windows machine.

Anyway, I have a gigabyte 8I945GZ-RH motherboard. I was wondering what you guys suggest for a processor to go with it. I've read the celeron D can be pretty slow. Is a Pentium 4 better? Thanks for your advice!

Look here:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph..._10.4.8#Intel_3

I would prefere a C2D 6300. Not to expansive. Consumption 65 Watts

For testing purpose only a Celeron with 3GHz EMT64 SSe2/3 is capable enough. Consumption 90Watts.

Don't prefer Pentium4 /PentiumD (Consumption i.E. 130 Watts)

Not easy to keep your dreammachine quite and cool.

Edited by tuxuser33

Look here:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph..._10.4.8#Intel_3

I would prefere a C2D 6300. Not to expansive. Consumption 65 Watts

For testing purpose only a Celeron with 3GHz EMT64 SSe2/3 is capable enough. Consumption 90Watts.

Don't prefer Pentium4 /PentiumD (Consumption i.E. 130 Watts)

Not easy to keep your dreammachine quite and cool.

I don't think that board support C2D, i.e. it only has an 800/533MHz bus AFAIK. So you will be under-clocking your core CPU badly.

The best you can get is a PentiumD 9xx series the most cost effective is 8xx, try an 820 - they are cheap as chips right now. Who cares about power consumption in a desktop!? If it's to noisy blow $30 on a decent fan/heatsink - it will be quieter then a stock fan with a lower power CPU anyhow. And a pentium D performs way, wayyyyy better than a Celeron. Incidentally, the TDP (power consumption) is 95W for the presler core (9xx) pentiumDs and 805s. 130W is only for the 8x0 duals.

Edited by consolation

Thanks for the advice.

I've never used a dual core. Is there a large performance difference between single and dual core processors?

I've read that the pentium runs hot. Are there any cooling fans that I should look into or avoid like the plague? Eventually, this machine will end up running Vista and will be in a recording studio (not doing the recording but for all the other computing needs) so I would like the cooling system to be quiet. Does water cooling work well? Or is it more for show that practical use (ie keeping things cool)

Sorry to be so 'needy' but this is my first computer that's not a Dell and I have NO idea what I'm looking at when I'm at newegg.com haha. Thanks!

Thanks for the advice.

I've never used a dual core. Is there a large performance difference between single and dual core processors?

Yes, if you are encoding media or using things like reason or logic - not so much for games etc.

I've read that the pentium runs hot. Are there any cooling fans that I should look into or avoid like the plague? Eventually, this machine will end up running Vista and will be in a recording studio (not doing the recording but for all the other computing needs) so I would like the cooling system to be quiet. Does water cooling work well? Or is it more for show that practical use (ie keeping things cool)

For price/effectivness ratio you can't beat orbII - it won't make your system much cooler but it will be much quieter. Look at max dB ratings for the fans. Some are designed to offer improved cooling rather then reduce noise. Anything under 20 dB should be fine. However you will then need to get quiet case fans, GPU cooler etc.... I've used SilenX fans to good effect. Water cooling works great, but you will pay a big premium. Unless you are going to be over clocking you shouldn't freak too much about the temps. There's a bit of "my is cooler than yours" pissing contest that goes on; honestly the CPUs are rated up to something like 90 degrees (note that max temp for Pentium Ds are in the 60s because they measure it at the plate not at the internal diode). So while it's probably not safe to run a CPU at 70 degrees long term, if it's sitting in the 50s under full load it's good enough; your pc case doesn't have to double as a beer fridge.

Sorry to be so 'needy' but this is my first computer that's not a Dell and I have NO idea what I'm looking at when I'm at newegg.com haha. Thanks!

NP

Edited by consolation

Hi,

this board is as reported capable to run with C2D.

One of mine, the older one without "RH", does not.

Official allmost all sources claim a 945 can not run with C2D, but my Intel 945GCL can and do so!

The critical point is the voltageregulator on board.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2304

GA-8i945GZME-RH is capable to run with C2D, FSB is limited to 800 MHz , due to the 945GZ-chipset.

In general "RH" indicates a newer release. The vendors made this due to limitations to safe the environment.

These boards are made leadfree.

Edited by tuxuser33