WoW on Hackintosh, performance..

guice

63 posts in this topic

I'm generally at my FPS cap of 60 all the time with everything turned up. It only drops if I get 15+ mobs on my screen at once, and even then it never drops below 40. Moving from an old dual 533MHz G4 to this is like going from the dark ages to the Renaissance.

So you have the same performance and quality now under OSX compared to Windows XP? Because I am running a P4 3.0Ghz Northwood SSE2, 1.5GB Ram and a 6600GT and I can turn everything to max in Windows XP and the framerate like never drops under 20 anywhere. If I did that in OSX the game just doesn't run.

Or you got a Prescott with SSE3 support? That might be the problem.

Edit: I see you got a Prescott in your signature, well I guess I need to find a Prescott instead of a Northwood, though they seem to make a lot more heat.

Prescott? No. that's not my sig you saw. I use AMD. And the performance was near close. It was comparable indeed, but definitely not as good. It was very playable, but not as high as I would expect on XP.

wow running great on my sse2 machine, with 10.4.9..... getting fps of 40+ all the way up to 100+ max..... only drops to about 20+ when focus of the window is on another application....... i run wow in a window..... to prevent the nasty mouse distortion, which can be cured with cscreen terminal command.....

• 5 weeks later...

I don't play WoW any more, so I can't test it on my Hackintosh, but when we built my boyfriend's Hackintosh with Core 2 Duo (E6320 clocked at 3.0GHz) and 7600GT, he got 60 fps with all settings at max running at 1440x900. I think the frame rate was capped at 60, since it never got above even for a second, but rarely dropped below. We didn't bother trying it at lower settings. He was using a 2.4GHz P4 with Radeon 9250 before, so it was a huge increase for him.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a C2D 4400, MSI P6N-SLI, EVGA 7950GT (256mb), 2 Gig RAM but when i play WoW on my hackintosh about an hour in it'll just totally freeze on me. any ideas? pretty sure it's not overheating, i have all power settings set to never and i have 'jiggler' running just incase.

I get equal FPS but the game is smoother in XP, not sure why. Think it has something to do with the mouse.

But, I have one issue though. When I enter a city multisampling is turned off! Anyone know how to fix that?

Well i just noticed that with my previous onboard Video GMA 950 i had 270 frames in Xbench OpenGL test but yesterday i switched to a Nvidia 7300GS 256mb and i get only 123 frames OpenGL with it..that s*** kinda.

Whereas performance in Photoshop and AfterFX drastically went up..

Well i just noticed that with my previous onboard Video GMA 950 i had 270 frames in Xbench OpenGL test but yesterday i switched to a Nvidia 7300GS 256mb and i get only 123 frames OpenGL with it..that s*** kinda.

Whereas performance in Photoshop and AfterFX drastically went up..

XBench's graphics test scores may as well be

new Random().nextInt(300);

A flashed 7950GT 512mb.

It's odd, the moment I zone into a city, multisampling is disabled.

Well I dunno then since it should work :/ Thought you add some Radeon 9700/9800 or something, that's why I asked. And your mouse shouldn't lag : be sure you checked Hardware cursor in video options.

And if you still have that lag you are talking about, try to type :

/console GLFaster 1

Let me know.

Well I dunno then since it should work :/ Thought you add some Radeon 9700/9800 or something, that's why I asked. And your mouse shouldn't lag : be sure you checked Hardware cursor in video options.

And if you still have that lag you are talking about, try to type :

/console GLFaster 1

Let me know.

Thanks for your replies : )

I can't really point my finger at the mouse issue. I just feels smoother in XP. In general, my mouse experience is different in OS X. I should say, the login and char screens are extremely laggy and a weird sound comes from my video card.

The multisampling problem is really puzzling me, though. :)

I played WoW lastnight on my hackintosh, it runs so smooth, = to XP imo. but about an hour into killing Troggs, it freezes. so i have to manual reboot :D. glad when i got back in i was where it frooze at, and not dead. so i am going to try installing call of duty tonight to see if the problem is wow or games in general. i may update to 10.4.9 also. think that would help?

It might be something with your video drivers. What card and driver are you using? I have no problems at all with WoW in JaS 10.4.8 with a 7600GT and Natit 0.2. I can play for 8 hours at a time if I want.

Edit: I just looked back and saw you have a 7950GT.

I used natit_edited from the osx86 wiki.

maybe i should try the Natit_Dual_v0.2?

would it be any different?

should i try titan?

my impression is natit > titan

Is your 7600 pcie?

did you edit geforce, nvdaresman, natit, and nvdanv40hal kexts?

My 7600GT is PCIe, and I edited nothing. I'm using the GeForce, nvdaresman, and nvdanv*0hal kexts that came with OS X, and Natit is as I downloaded it (Natit 0.2 dual, but only because I have dual displays. No reason to get it if you don't)