Building custom Hackintosh: hardware recommendations

Racher

60 posts in this topic

My first attempt just gave me 154 in xbench at 2.94 Ghz FSB@300MHz i'm a bit worried about the core temp gets as high as 61 C when using prime95.

I use Crucial memory@4-4-4-12.

Do you know of any working temp monitor tools for OSX? Tried a few but they don't seem to be accurate.

Going to try some more and see what happens. Thanks for all advices :)

you can use temperature monitor (search macupdate.com) it overestimates my core temperatures by ~10°C.

What kind of case and cooling are you using. I live in a HOT place, its 36°C outside today and my core temps don't go to much past 50-55°C under prime95 load. So good intake and exaust should cool down the cores well. Also i'm using a thin layer of arctic silver5 as my thermal paste as the paste that came with my cooler was {censored} and i got high core temps.

---

i'm currently at 51 and 47°C for my cpu cores as read by temperature monitor... which is ~10 °C hotter than coretemp reads in windows.

Edited by nargot

I love love LOVE my Asus P5W-DH board. NO fans on it at all, hardware raid that works with no drivers, dual gigabit nics, firewire. 8GB RAM max. :(

I would definitely fry my overclocked cpu on any mobo and potentially other components without active cooling, its just damn hot without airflow here

Thanks for the tip about the silver paste that may be the problem, i'll also try some fan repositioning and see what that does.

For case i use one from coolermaster "Mystique". My ambient temp is about 25°C during torture test my core temp was about 55-62 °C

is that the temp when overclocked or stock speed? if it is stock speed thats pretty hot.

what you need to know is the difference in load temps between stock and overclocked speeds :)

Edited by nargot

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone.. I am new in the forum.. so HI users and admins....

I just got hold of an Asus P5W DH Deluxe and i have decided i am going to build a proper computer to run OS X.

I have already looked at some parts:

CPU TOWER: 500w EV Black 802 Mid Tower Case.

1733b.jpg

17331.jpg

I like this case because of its serious look and also the 4 handles which remind me of..... you know.. The price is also a good point but the most important is the distribution and ventilation posibilities of its design. Is a bargain for the price.

Graphic card: Nvidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3

138c_1.JPG

I am not sure this ddr3 card will work. any help? Any better options?

All advice is more than welcome..

Memory: 4Gb (2x2Gb) Corsair XMS2 800MHz 6400 DDR2

a0b6_1.JPG

I intend to get another set of 2x2Gb soon.

Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Q6600 socket 775

P0131950_C0000022_P0000000.jpg

After looking and looking these are the lowest prices i found:

RAM Memory; £60ish

Processor; £80ish

G. Card; £30ish

Tower; £35ish

£205ish

Still need to get a Hard Disk but that is pretty much it. I have a decent 22" display which should do the job, as i do not edit video or photo.

My main questions are:

Is it worth to go for a better graphic card for a bit more of money? i am not sure what models work with OS x. If i could have any advice would be much appreciated.

What are the bigger processors that suit my asus p5w dh deluxe?

Does anyone know if the Microsoft IR media Player remote can be used with OSX's front row?

I hope this post is ok, dont forget it is my first time..

Thanks