VMWare Tools - Lets Port it!

10 posts in this topic

I know there are other posts for this, but I figured I would be proactive, and actually discuss technical stuff rather than just saying "Could someone do this...?" blah blah blah

Please don't flame me.

-----------------------------------------------------

I have tried installing VMWare tools for both BSD as well as Linux on my Hackintosh. It doesn't find some unix-specific commands, but there are Mac equivalents...I got those and replaced those in the python install script, and got the thing installed using the linux script (the BSD script needs ldd for one thing, and I tried otools -L but it didn't work...)...

Besides that,0 we just need to figure out the directory structure (I don't know where the global init folder is, or where the other files should go either...help?

I think it is doable. LETS DO IT! I think the Linux version would be easier to work with, though.

Edited by ilikenwf

Guest bikedude880

Uhm... last I checked... to "port" something meant to rewrite parts of the source code in order for it to run on another OS or architecture...

Guest bikedude880
Ok, mod it...whatever...I think it is doable, I just don't understand why nobody has really tried yet...

Never said that it wasn't a good idea... might be fun. Just keep in mind that anything you pull from Linux or BSD will have to be recoded because of executable differences.

Good luck on that...its proprietary code. Anyone wanna try to decompile it?

Of course, we could just look at the linux version and see what it does, and then write our own. We need this because it accelerates emulation, and fixes video slowness.

Edited by ilikenwf

I don't want to look too sceptical, but hacking VMware tools would be rather worthless due to its difficulty. VMware tools do no miracles, and the main issue with VMware is the lack of Mac OS optimizations during emulation. No tools could help it, IMO :thumbsup_anim: