HowTo - SSE3 Kernel with Sleep + SpeedStep

Prasys

323 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Guess what. Mr Paulicat has done it again. This time he has fixed Semthex's kernel to support Sleep - aka S3 Sleep. Usually , you could sleep the hack , but then if you try to wake it up..It does not. So , Mr Paulicat has found a way to fix it , its simply by creating a patched Kernel to support SpeedStep Extensions and S3 Sleep. So if you're on a laptop , you'll know that you need it soo much

Please bear in mind , this whole thing is 'Beta'. Meaning that , it might or might not work for you.

Please backup your kernel and your Library/StartupItems folder.

Oh one more thing , if you plan to use your Old Kernel back , make sure you delete the ACPI Folder from the StartupItems. Otherwise you'll get a Kernel Panic

Oh yeah , it does not work on AMDs !

Okay , enough of the blah blah blahing . Now lets get back to our topic

Firstly , please make sure you're using OSX 10.4.8 with 8.8.1 Kernel [and please make sure your Processor supports SSE3 Extensions and Intel ® SpeedStep Technology [ this includes the enhanced version found on Core 2 Duo , Core Duo , Core Solo processors]

Link down

3. Install it and reboot . If everything goes okay , you should have OSX Kickin' In. You may want to test Sleep [if it wakes up - kudos] , if it does not [Then I am sorry]. Thirdly , you might also notice that this 'patch' increases your battery life. Whenever you unplug , the processor automatically goes to power-saving mode a.k.a the 'slowest' speed to 'extend your battery life'

It didn't work for me :thumbsdown_anim:

No wake from any sleep options and I cant see any speed stepping affects. Oh well, I'll keep dreaming....

Why do I have Loading Kext/Finished Loading Kext on boot now???

Edited by joe75

Thanks, Sleep and SpeedStep works here. Sleep never worked with any of Semthex's kernels for me before (it didn't wake up).

Still need to use cpus=1 though, without cpus=1 system stutters and locks up. Is there any way to fix both cores for some notebooks?

Is this the same thing like CPU-throthler, but than for 10.4.8?

Howdo speedstep and cpu throthler compare?

Nevermind...

I found the updated CPu-throttler thread... Its the updated and upgraded version...

Edited by walterav

Didn't works and messed my system (If I try open "Apple SAystem Profiler" from "About This Mac window - the finder are reseted). How I can uninstall it? I deleted ACPI files from the /Library/StartupItems, but the problem remains. Thanks in advance and even the problems are in my system, I appreciate your work.

So close now.... I get the picture of my desktop back, then nothing... HD spins for a bit then it's just a frozen desktop. Before I just got the HD spin and no picture.

Yup, exactly the same here!

But i'm not on laptop, maybe this is the beginning for the fix for desktops too....

Good work so far Paulicat.

BiTRiP

Sleep only works when I let Energy saver options kick in. Does not work when I put computer in Sleep mode or when I closes the lid - goes to sleep but can't get it out of sleep.

Keep up the good work guys!

Ok, i think I worked it out. If I let energy saver kick in it works (with fans running), provided I wake it up reasonably early. If it's left sitting for a while it will get me only the frozen desktop, same as if I select sleep from the menu.

My theory is that there are two 'levels' of sleep and we are only getting the first stage, the deeper "hibernation" mode is still broken.

BTW, regardless, kudos to you prasys.

This information may be useful to kernel coders looking at this, I hope.

Questioning install of kernel or testing of it:

I am currently running the DaemonES kernel without sleep or speedstep (I would assume). HOWEVER - when I run XBench I get a performance of 80-85 when OSX is booted of my AC adapter. After I go on battery mode, I get a score around 50-60 consistantly. I assume this would be due to speedstep being set to my low frequency (1GHz). CPU performance itself goes from 60 to 30 according to XBench when on battery. When I plug my AC adapter back in, however, XBench score match those of running on battery, and will never recover to 80+ until I reboot (on AC). So:

- Is XBench really a good benchmarking tool for this? When I get a difference between battery and AC performance, is it due to speedstep throttling my CPU and I just never recover on AC, or am I getting flaky results due to XBench itself?

- I get the same results with both the DaemonES kernel (which, I believe, doesn't support speedstep) and the new Paulicat kernel. Does that mean that DES and PC both support speedstep, or is the PC kernel not running properly on my machine?

- Both DES and PC kernels report the same battery life (around 6 hours) on battery, which moves a little erratically to about 5.5 hours and is stable from there, with wireless enable and screen brightness knocked down a few notches. Again, does this mean both are using speedstepping, or neither are?

- Still can't wake from sleep (for what it is worth - just reporting this).

Thought these results might be interesting to build on the progress so far -_- Thanks for the work, everyone! Outside of sleep, the known headphone/speaker issue and possibly speedstep(?), my Dell 640m-acintosh is running perfectly!

EDIT: I have a Dell 640m, Core Duo T2300 - thought I should specify so you know what processor/platform this is occuring on. Thanks!

Edited by Analog

Hi all,

First things first, the sleep fix was an unintended side effect since the wake function needed to be rewritten to support some of the other changes I needed to make for speedstep.

However, it did fix wake on my laptop so thats why I made mention of it.

As for speedstep, lets make some things clear, any 10.4.8 kernel besides mine has panic calls to speedstepping functions. However, some bioses have speedstep support built in. Mine doesnt so I can't test how it would work enabled in the bios or disabled...but...last night I helped a fellow get speedstep going on his Thinkpad T60 with coreduo. (On that model notebook, it works fine with both cores btw). Initially, he had speedstep enabled in the bios, and it showed 1:30 of time left on the battery. Also, the throttle kext would not load.

So I suggested he disable it in the speedstep. He did, and when he came back, his 1.87ghz coreduo was running at 1ghz, and his time went up to 2:10.

He did say he would try to make a success story post here today.

Now, back to wake, I found something out last night, purely by accident. My laptop loads a kext called AppleACPILPC.kext (plugin of AppleACPIPlatform.kext), I found that I needed to remove that kext in order for my laptop to reboot properly (previously, it would power off instead of reboot).

Once I removed that kext, my laptop reboots properly, however, I noticed I can no longer wake from sleep.

A bit of investigation into what the LPC bus is used for showed me that OSX uses the LPC bus to wake from sleep.

So...long story short, if your pc (laptop or desktop) does not load the AppleACPILPC.kext I doubt you'll be able to wake from sleep on any current kernel.

For Analog: DES kernel is not controlling speedstep, likely, its your BIOS. How the bios interacts with osx I can't say.

If anyone has any other questions, put them here and Ill do my best to answer them.

Paulicat.

Edited by paulicat

Pentium Ds 805 & 820 do not support speedstep (EIST). I don't think that AppleACPILPC.kext gets loaded (can't see it in sys profiler anyway) on my computer. So sounds like you need a least an 830 for dual or a 630 for a single to get desktop sleep. Note: EIST is not available on all cedarmill revisions, some 6x1s have it disabled due to a fck up by Intel.

P.S. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Pin_Count

Edited by consolation

I have a Pentium D 945, which support EIST TM2 C1E (so inhanced speedstep is supported, so does the S3), after I installed the kernel and startup Item,

first time there is a warning after reboot says the ACPI folder has something doesn't match securty check, need to be fix and reboot

then I am able to going to sleep, during wake up, the desktop shows but mouse freeze.

It's great progress though, Thank you Paulicat!

about loaded kext, I used ioreg to check (I am not a experienced mac user) and didn't see any entry for AppleACPILPC so I guess it is not loaded, is trying to load it manually will help?

As to speedstep, I feel my CPUs is not slowing down and overheat, but I have no way to know the realtime frequency VID or PID,

Paulicat, I was wondering Is there a way that I can see my real time cpu frequency?

I tried several apps (temp monitor, cpu throttle.... ) but none works,

I guess the Reggie SE may work but it seems to complicated

Any cue how I can monitor the realtime frequency or VID PID?

Edited by offall

Paulicat, thanks for the information :thumbsdown_anim:

That's interesting about the bios controlling the speedstep. Definitely good to note! I don't have AppleACPILPC.kext, which could definitely be a leading reason I can't get my computer to sleep. Is there a source I could use to snag the AppleACPILPC.kext from, off hand to try to sleep with?

Thanks again, Paulicat! Your work on this is appreciated by many on the board, including me :)

Paulicat, thanks for the information ;)

That's interesting about the bios controlling the speedstep. Definitely good to note! I don't have AppleACPILPC.kext, which could definitely be a leading reason I can't get my computer to sleep. Is there a source I could use to snag the AppleACPILPC.kext from, off hand to try to sleep with?

Thanks again, Paulicat! Your work on this is appreciated by many on the board, including me :)

Have you looked INSIDE AppleACPIPlatform.kext?

hey paulicat, its working great on my commell lv-677 mobo with a C2D memrom 2ghz.

i helps prasys intitally when you first released it.

i have only one problem. the restart doesnt work i have to hard restart.

sleep and speedstep work greak eventho its a desktop and i dont really need it. it also enabled sleep on my once sleepless 7600GS.

Thanks for your great work!

on another note can you supply me with the help i need to fix the smbios to read ddr2 memory again?

-DiaboliK

The reboot problem is odd, and Im not 100% sure its not a screw up from my part. I was trying to fix the reboot problem I had on my laptop (powering off instead of rebooting) and I might have left some code in that I was testing.

Prasys has a new build from me and will be creating an installer very soon. The first installer might have been messing up the StartupItems folder so he's removed it and recreate it very soon.

Keep the reports coming folks, Im really glad to hear its helping some of you out!

Paulicat

Have you looked INSIDE AppleACPIPlatform.kext?

Well, I feel like a fool. Thanks! I assumed spotlight could search inside of a kext. I guess it doesn't look inside packages like that.

Thanks! I found it! Too bad I still can't sleep :/ Ah well!

Ok I got this version from the IRC Channel. It didn't come with any instructions. But I installed the Kernel and the system seems to work. I also added the ACPICPUThrottle to the Startup folder and repair all the permissions.

Can anybody tell me the best way to install ACPIThrottle and how to test that it's working?

Edited by ppan76