ubuntu macbook pro

Soündless

24 posts in this topic

i have seen that allot of people are running ubuntu on thier macbook pros. i want to do the same, but, how the hell do you boot onto the live cd to install? i never seem to have my questions answered on why is says "no bootable device" when i put it in.

?

Put the CD in your drive, restart the computer while holding down C, you should see the Ubuntu CD there. I don't own a Mac, but try it.

By the way, I think the install CD and Live CD are one together, just click on the Install icon to install

What he said.

I've never done it on a actual mac but in windows it's dead simple. Let it load (in mac press 'c' to auto load) and select Installation when you get the menu option. Then there should be an icon on the desktop. Double click that and follow it. Although I woudn't think there's much of a chance corruption your system by just loading Ubuntu but I would say if you are going to fiddle with the partitions then maybe backup your important data.

yeah, thats windows. i think it has something to do with efi. wen i put the disk in, the screen goes black, and has a message that says "no bootable device found, insert a boot volume and press any key" it will do that after i take the linux dvd out, i have to repair my permissins off of my install dvd so i can boot

Do you have the latest firmware updates? It should be dead simple, you could even use BootCamp to make your partition if you need to. Maybe try holding "alt" on startup and choosing the cd from there.

I just installed Ubuntu on my mini on Friday for the first time and didn't have any trouble. Not sure if I like it more than Vista though (like the customization, but I still haven't gotten the hang of installing new apps).

how many partitions do you have?

The easiest way to do it is resize your mac os x in os x partition to create free space, then select use the largest continuous free space when installing ubuntu. But do not install yet, if you get that far, post here since if you just install without syncing the gpt and mbr you will screw your partition table.

no luck. i did something to the usb drive so that it could install, but it only would install grub to my primary.i went ahead anyway, and it had an error, crashed and now i am back were i started