Can't get Intel PRO/100 VE built in ethernet working

Blinkin

55 posts in this topic

I've read numerous Intel PRO/100 VE threads and have made a few attempts to get networking working, but I am stuck.

I've tried adding '0x27dc8086' to .../IONetworkingFamily.kext/.../AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist (as mentioned in the '[HowTo] Fix Network Problem with Intel PRO/100 VE' thread). I've also tried using the 'old 8255x.kext' mentioned at post #25 and with no luck.

I have a Dell Dimension 5100 with the Intel PRO/100 VE built in ethernet device (VEN_8086,DEV_27DC).

When I run 'kextload -v .../IONetworkingFamily.kext/.../AppleIntel8255x.kext', it returns errors stating 'unable to register module with kernel' and 'a link/load error occured' for the AppleIntel8255x.kext module. I don't see any messages from 'dmesg' nor in the system.log.

How can I further debug this? What else I can try? This is the first of a few things I'd like to get working.

Is that the reason?

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapt...b/cs-008340.htm

The PRO/100 VE adapter does not work in a PCI slot. It will only work in a Communication and Network Riser (CNR) slot in computers that have this slot and utilize the Intel 82801BA I/O controller hub (a.k.a. ICH2), such as the Intel D815EEA motherboard.

BTW, here is the actual error:

$ sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext appears to be valid

kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext

kextload: loaded version 1.5.0 of module com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily differs from requested version com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily

kextload: unable to register module with kernel

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

Running with -t does not appear to give any more detailed information (other than 'kextload: kext ... is not valid' for a bunch of other modules).

Have you used Windows or Linux to verify that it's your correct Device ID? If so, just do this:

Get the AppleIntel8255x.kext and put it in the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Don't worry about the IONetworkingFamily kext. You're not going to use that if you're using the 0x27dc8086 device ID. I didn't have to at least. Edit the info.plist to reflect the number. Save it. Go to the terminal and type:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext

then

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext

then

sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext

If it loads the kernel extension with no errors, then delete the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache files. Just to be on the safe side, repair permissions:

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

Reboot and go the Network Prefpane. It should bring up a dialog telling you that it found a new network device. Hit Apply and it should automatically grab your IP and you'll be on your way.

Edited by The Shaun

I, too, have an Intel Pro/100 VE NIC and canNOT get it working under JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE2.SSE3 w/ppf. I tried everything the original poster did (i.e. Modifying IONetworkingFamily.kext w/ correct device + Vendor ID, replacing AppleIntel8255z.kext from 10.4.3...) Except, the error i get happens after i type in sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext in Terminal. Here is the error:

can't add Kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext (not a bundle) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

What does this mean? Unforutnately, typing -t does absolutely nothing. What can i do... :D

I've read numerous Intel PRO/100 VE threads and have made a few attempts to get networking working, but I am stuck.

I've tried adding '0x27dc8086' to .../IONetworkingFamily.kext/.../AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist (as mentioned in the '[HowTo] Fix Network Problem with Intel PRO/100 VE' thread). I've also tried using the 'old 8255x.kext' mentioned at post #25 and with no luck.

I have a Dell Dimension 5100 with the Intel PRO/100 VE built in ethernet device (VEN_8086,DEV_27DC).

When I run 'kextload -v .../IONetworkingFamily.kext/.../AppleIntel8255x.kext', it returns errors stating 'unable to register module with kernel' and 'a link/load error occured' for the AppleIntel8255x.kext module. I don't see any messages from 'dmesg' nor in the system.log.

How can I further debug this? What else I can try? This is the first of a few things I'd like to get working.

I ran into the exact same issues that you have. I finally found an IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.3 and if memory serves I just replaced the existing one. I have gotten the Intel PRO/100 VE it to work on an Intel 845GBV

IONetworkingFamily_10.4.3.kext.zip

I ran into the exact same issues that you have. I finally found an IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.3 and if memory serves I just replaced the existing one. I have gotten the Intel PRO/100 VE it to work on an Intel 845GBV

Thanks! Internet is finally working!! I just replaced IONetworkingFamily.kext with the one in this link from 10.4.3, repaired and verified permissions just to be safe, rebooted, and Voila! I'm typing this response from the internet on my Hackintosh. Thanks so much!!!

I, too, have an Intel Pro/100 VE NIC and canNOT get it working under JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE2.SSE3 w/ppf. I tried everything the original poster did (i.e. Modifying IONetworkingFamily.kext w/ correct device + Vendor ID, replacing AppleIntel8255z.kext from 10.4.3...) Except, the error i get happens after i type in sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext in Terminal. Here is the error:

can't add Kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext (not a bundle) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

What does this mean? Unforutnately, typing -t does absolutely nothing. What can i do... :dev:

just download this kext : /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext (search in this forum and you will find it)

i have a dell 5150c dimension and his nic is an eb100 (v100 pro intel) it works like a charm.

It's here and nothing else : lol ,

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry97291

have fun

Finally got it working!! Thanks to all for your help!

This is what worked for me:

Download IONetworkingFamily 10.4.3.kext.zip from this thread (thanks director_atx!)

Edit AppleIntel8255x.kext and add your device (as described in this PRO/100 howto)

$ sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

$ sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

$ sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

## Got no errors this time - everything loads fine

$ sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

$ sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Reboot and check Sys Prefs > Network to see the built in ethernet

I'm typing this message from OS X. Sweeeet. Now, on to sound, lilo triple boot, accelerated graphics and hey - my Home and End keys aren't working. Hmm.

What's the error you were getting with my method?

At the risk of sounding stupid, how exactly do I copy something to the system with no networking, floppy and USB do not work on this system as well. At least I believe so since I do not see how to acess my USB thumb drive.

• 1 month later...

With P5GD1 and Graphics NVidia XFX6600 card Jas 10.4.8 give full Graphics but no sound or Net

This 10.4.3 mode cures that easily and AzaliaAudio patch turns this PC into a fast mac

Only exception is sleep does not recover -needs reboot.

• 3 weeks later...

Freakin' awesome! The 10.4.3 IONetworking worked TOO well for me. I had my on-board NIC and two PCI NICs in the system, trying to figure out how to get ANY of them to work... then I put the old KEXT into place and ALL THREE worked! Great!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I should give this a go. I ended up buying a Ethernet PCI card (which works fine) because although many had been able to get it working even after weeks of trying mine didn't.