New 10.4.8 kernel release with *full* speedstep support.

paulicat

64 posts in this topic

Am I right in thinking this thread is discussing the same kernel / speedstep fix as is being discussed here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=42865

?

Am I also correct in surmising that currently there is a different release for Core cpus (Core Solo, Core Duo, Core 2 Duo) and non-Core (P4, PD)?

It would be nice to either merge this thread into the other one, or create a new thread for discussing these matters, as the info is a bit spread around just now. Paulicat, Kiko, What say you guys?

Hi there !

I'm going to build a new computer, in order to use osX.

Can you please advise me, wich component use for a better compatibility with speedstep, and maybe sleep?

I was thinking of a Core 2 Duo E6600 on asus p5w mainboard with 2gb DDR2 800 ... does someone use that with success? but i can buy any other component if you tell me its working !

Thank you a lot, and sorry for my bad english :whistle:

now with 10.4.9:

/Library/StartupItems/ACPICPUThrottle/ACPICPUThrottle.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)
I manually "chown -R root:wheel" 'ed it, also ran DU ..

Any idea?

• 3 weeks later...

I've installed this using the Prasys installer posted by Kiko, when I rebooted it said /Library/StartupItems/ ACPICPUThrottle.kext had some security issues, and prompted me to either decide about it later, not run it or fix it. First selected decided later, and repaired permissions to see if that would make the error go away. Didn't, so I decided to fix it. Now the error's gone, but I'm not sure how to find out if the SpeedStep support is installed correctly.

Sleep didn't seem to work.

I was using the 10.4.8 JaS Intel/AMD SSE3 install, btw.