Considering MacPro..or should I wait...

10 posts in this topic

Hi All!. It's been a while since I've posted, and even though I still dont consider myself a "switcher", I have been enjoying my MBP quite a bit. After loading vista beta 2 and RTM via bootcamp and playing with it a few months back, I've come to realize that it's just not ready for primetime....PERIOD. It's just not completely stable, neither on my MBP, or any other of my machines (1- athlon 64, 1-X2, and 1-C2D 6600 and several others). Although I'm still a MCSA, I'm really starting to like the idea of getting a Mac Pro, to keep my MBP company. I've been looking at the 2.66 "quad" model, and thinking of buying. I think I will do the same as I have been with my MBP and run paralells with winxp for daily {censored} I need Windows for, and run XP/vista in bootcamp for my gaming fix. The model I'm looking at has the Nvidia 7300 (yuck), but it's priced right overall. Whats bad, is I really don't need this machine( I just built the C2D 6600/2gig ram with Geforce 7950GT Superclocked in Dec) , I just "want" it. I seem to have really started to like the design of the MacPro, and I would just love to have something that is technically "QUAD" (although really 2 dual cores). I dont know, I guess I'll be honest, I just want one! Can anyone here give me some reason why I shouldnt buy it (I really don't wanna spend this money, so help talk me out of it please)? Anyway, as I've ranted in the past, I still dont feel that Apple hardware or thir OS is any better than any other, as all OS's have they're faults, but I do like the sexy look of the outer appearance, and I think once I start supporting more vista on a daily basis at work, that I will not want to come home and have to use it as well (I still love XP though and will continue to use it for years, as well as "dabble" in vista in a VM on this MacPro).

The other reason I need your help is because, although I want to get this machine(the money is burnin a hole in my pocket as my dad used to say), I'm afraid to get it now because no-doubt, with my luck, as soon as I get it they will drop "leopard" and I probably wont get a free upgrade. That alone would {censored} MEE OFF!!! So can anyone tell me the likelyhood of "leopard" comming out within the next month or so, and if it's true I can get a free upgrade if it's within the month that I bought the machine, based on your personal experiences with apple????

Thankx..... :thumbsup_anim: :censored2:

Oh yeah, by the way....how well is xp running in bootcamp (and paralells) for anyone with a MacPro?? I know bootcamp and paralells runs well on my MBP, and this is also a MAJOR important issue, as I thought I might have heard of people having issues with the MacPro's with paralells and/or bootcamp, I suppose due to the "quad" cores and 64bit nature of the processor. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.....

Edited by OSXtasy

The other reason I need your help is because, although I want to get this machine(the money is burnin a hole in my pocket as my dad used to say), I'm afraid to get it now because no-doubt, with my luck, as soon as I get it they will drop "leopard" and I probably wont get a free upgrade. That alone would {censored} MEE OFF!!! So can anyone tell me the likelyhood of "leopard" comming out within the next month or so, and if it's true I can get a free upgrade if it's within the month that I bought the machine, based on your personal experiences with apple????

That is a very good reason to wait. Besides, when Apple releases Leopard, we might also see improvements in hardware.

I am also waiting to see what happens, although I am by no means in a hurry (my hackintosh serves me quite well)

Just don't buy it at all! Why do you need to waste more money on this machine? Can't you live without this? It is after all 1500 dollars we are talking about. Now wouldn't it be nice, if you could buy a iphone instead? Or two of them... :)

LOL, did you say $1500 dollars. More Like $2500 my friend....... :)

And I'm not into the iPhone hype yet. Being tied to cingular is a major negative in my book.

I seem to have a problem of once I get an idea into my head (as far as buying something I don't need) that I can't get it out until I have it. And then most of the time I regret it eventually. I can "afford" it (paying cash), but that does not mean I "should" buy it. I Know, I've got issues.......

Edited by OSXtasy

LOL, did you say $1500 dollars. More Like $2500 my friend....... :(

And I'm not into the iPhone hype yet. Being tied to cingular is a major negative in my book.

I seem to have a problem of once I get an idea into my head (as far as buying something I don't need) that I can't get it out until I have it. And then most of the time I regret it eventually. I can "afford" it (paying cash), but that does not mean I "should" buy it. I Know, I've got issues.......

You get 20% off as a student developer. The cheapest MP is 2100. So, 2100 - 420 = 1680, which is closer to 1500 than 2500.

Edited by Guest:

You should wait because there is a big rumor that the new graphic card from ATI the R600 aka x2900 XTX will make it to the Mac combined with the release of Adobe Creative suite 3. Even if the top model have two 4 core processors the middle will probably at least have 4 core. Even you would have Tiger There are rumors that Leopard will be out in march.

Edited by BarryBar

Ok, $2500 is a lot of money, I'm going to ask you kindly, could you at least buy me a Mac Mini Core? I just need a new system, my Sempron is just cutting it anymore. So, if you could help me out that would be good. Also, I would recommend waiting until after Leopard is released before I purchase a new Mac.

Actually, I would wait until next year, rumors are going around that there is a new redesign coming, so that's reason enough to wait. Also, Intel is coming out with a new Quard core (considered to be a true quad core with 4 die's which means, could get a 8 Core MacPro by Jan '08 for $1800) processor code named Peryn based on the new 45 NM process which means more bang for your money.

So can you help me out with the Mac Mini? andred25 AT hotmail DOT com

Well thanx for the reply's all. I've decided to just hold onto the money for now, and keep enjoying my MBP for the time being. I just get in that buying mode sometimes, and I find it hard to stop and think first. Well, just think....if I had'nt asked you all for help (my "counselors" in my time of weakness) I would have gone out and blown $2500 bux, for something that was'nt gonna make me happy anyway....LOL It's so hard being a geek sometimes. Anyone else agree????

Seriously though, thanks for making me stop and reconsider, you're all true friends.... :thumbsup_anim: