Booting into safe mode - what does it look like?

geez

6 posts in this topic

Hi there all.

This may be a dumb question. I am a frustrated newbie trying to get OS X running on a Dell Optiplex 260 using whatever built in display adapter it comes with (I'm not sure what make it is, I'm afraid).

I can get as far as doing the actual installation. The problem comes when I try to restart and the login window should appear. I've commented here about what I'm seeing, and if anyone who can has encountered this problem can help, it would be much appreciated.

Alternatively, I'm trying to help myself. I think booting into safe mode might do it (as reading around on this forum seems to point to the fact the graphics card in this machine may be too crappy), but I'm not sure I'm going this right.

I have not been able to successfully boot OS X yet.

So, I boot up into the darwin command prompt (F8 on startup) and I type '-x' (without the quotes) as it mentions in various forum topics to get into safe mode. However, all that happens is that the grey screen with the apple logo and spinning waiting icon appears, and the system freezes as usual.

I was expecting some kind of indication on this screen that it is in 'safe mode' when the grey screen and apple logo appear. Is this the case? What is the first point at point up that indicates I'm booting up in safe mode? How can I tell if it is booting in safe mode or not?

Thanks for your help all. Very exciting project this is.

Safe mode in os x isnt like a darwin prompt, it is a full GUI, and functions much like normal mode, but simply to fix problems.

Great! Thanks! I was just wondering what indication there is that you are in safe mode? Does it say 'safe mode' anywhere? Does it look like the grey boot screen with apple logo, and with the words 'safe mode'? Just trying to understand whether I'm in safe mode or not.

Thanks!

geez,

Your definitely a Windoze person. Safe mode in OSX, or on a real Mac, (or Windows) just doesn't load the extensions (drivers).

If you hit F8 and type -x as you described you will boot into safe mode.

On a Mac, you boot into safe mode by pressing down on the spacebar after the "bong" sound, which you can't do on a Hackintosh. As you know, you can go into safe mode in Windows by pressing down on the shift key while it is loading.

Edited by DanS

geez,

Your definitely a Windoze person. Safe mode in OSX, or on a real Mac, (or Windows) just doesn't load the extensions (drivers).

If you hit F8 and type -x as you described you will boot into safe mode.

On a Mac, you boot into safe mode by pressing down on the spacebar after the "bong" sound, which you can't do on a Hackintosh. As you know, you can go into safe mode in Windows by pressing down on the shift key while it is loading.

I'm definitely far from a Windoze person, my friend. I'm not sure what makes you think I would be. Maybe my simpleton descriptions of safe mode as 'a big grey screen with the apple logo'. I do apologise if I gave that opinion.

I have been a 'mac convert' (if I can still really call myself that) for over six years now. Started with a second-hand eBay iBook running the public beta of OS X, right through to a quick play with Leopard (which I'm really hoping is going to have a UI to make Vista- and Beryl-users jealous!). I've been through ibooks, powerbooks, powermacs, mac minis, and am now living extremely happily with an original Macbook.

My motivation for a Hackintosh is really more to do with trying to 'spread the good word' of a well-written operating system by running it on generic Wintel hardware and showing people who would never otherwise have encountered OS X just how good it is - without them even having to spend a few hundred quid on a Mac mini. I've spent thousands of pounds on Apple kit - and not a single penny of which was because I was bullied into it to be able to run the latest and greatest OS, nor because my machine became unwieldy, slow or bogged down with needless spyware. I may have spent thousands, but I have recouped a massive amount of that back on the resale market.

I would never use a hackintosh as my main Mac - purely because so much of what is great about the Mac is the hardware/software synergy that seems to make it all 'just work' and gives such a good end-to-end experience.

Don't get me wrong - I totally appreciate the value of a project such as OSx86. I think Apple's current model of making good software to sell hardware (making their money on the hardware) is almost over. Its so easy to get good quality hardware now-a-days that Apple are going to find it more and more difficult trying to convince people that a £700 laptop with OS X and a £500 Dell with Vista is worth the extra £200. Give me the choice between £200 for Vista and £200 for OS X Leopard, however, and I'm sold. Charge me another £60 for iLife, £60 for iWorks - sell the software on its merits alone. Spend the time to develop a more wide range of driver support for the common manufacturers, strike a deal with Dell (who make great, cheap, reasonably reliable hardware) and give me a utility I can run on my box currently running Windows to suggest to me how good my OS X experience is going to be based on my current hardware (bit like Vista experience index utility).

Anyway. I'm way off topic here. matthunter3 answered my question - I get to see it on the login screen. I can't see the login screen yet for a reason I have yet to resolve, but at least I know where to expect it. If I am i safe mode, it doesn't get me to the log in screen.

Thanks all.