9 posts in this topic

Hi

Can someone please recommend a good VNC client, I need to connect to my windows machine however I also need to be able to set the port which the client connects to: for example

192.168.1.5 port 7001

I dont run VNC on the standard port, so it would be great if there is a tool that will allow me do this VNC viewer and Real VNC dont allow me to set the port?

I have come across Timbuktu, anyone tried it out?

Snake

dunno if timbuktu is interoperable with VNC, I tried it at one point, but it still ran some background processes that were powerpc, so I didn't go any further.

Depending on what platform the machine is that you wish to control, it might be worth trying something else. I use tsclientx to control windows machines from os x or X11 over ssh to control linux boxes (login with -X through xterm & run apps with &). Apple Remote Desktop is the tool of choice for mac-to-mac control, but it isn't free...

you didn't mention Chicken of the VNC which might be worth a try..

[Edit] bah!.. too slow :)

I am not sure if I should be divulging this secret. Hmm Maybe I dont want to spread it. So please keep it quiet here.

The best remote control software by far IMO is remotelyanywhere. All the other ones are like babies compared to it.

Features I like

*No Client needed

*Active, Java, HTML, client

*SSL 256-Bit encryption support

*Can work through proxies. (yeah my favorite feature)

*More management stuffs that you can dream about.

*FTP, SSH, ETC server

*So many more.

Like many others, I have used, PCAnywhere, Timbaktu, VNC, Logmein (Citrix), RDP. Cant remember more in top of my head. RemotelyAnywhere beats all them hands down.

Do NOT spread this

read the bottom of the website

Copyright © 2007 LogMeIn, Inc. All rights reserved. :D so yea its logmein.com :hysterical: so just a heads up to you :D

EDIT: the big difference is that you have to pay for this one:P or do a 30day trial. so why not just use the free logmein.com.

I manage 6 PC's with it and have no issues, and if I want to do file transfer i just use my website that I have installed an uploader on. Not to totally bust your "happy bubble" but I think for free software Logmein free is best.

Edit #2: Oh oh oh, even better just put your system on a hamachi network (also logmein.com) an then you can do your file transfers. AND still be free (up to 15 clients) :P just a thought.

Dice :(

Edited by Dicenet

read the bottom of the website

Copyright © 2007 LogMeIn, Inc. All rights reserved. :P so yea its logmein.com ;) so just a heads up to you :P

Also I got confused. logmein is not Citrix... GoTomyPc is Citrix. Same Same, but different.

I think 3M took most of the features from RemoteAnywhere and put it in LogMeIn. RA has been around for 5-6 years.

Personally I have not tried LogMein, but will give it a test drive. If its as good as RA then thumbs ups.