Were Back !

mifki

104 posts in this topic

Well sorry about the downtime and the disappearance of the forum, We now have our forum back, and dont be worried about not being able to see any threads or topics, i have moved them all to the Archive Sub-Forum. This was mainly done, because i wanted a clean slate, for what will hopefully be a year of heavy testing and feedback. Stay tuned for more info's :(.

P.S: Thre might be, as always a long time of in-activity on these forums, this can be contributed to many things, i.e: Work, But unless stated, work will still be continuing on EFI, So no PM's asking if we are still active, because we are unless stated.

Enjoy !!!

I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together.

A quick look at where the posters in this thread are from, and I realize no one will get that reference. Incredible global appeal. Best of luck, we're all excited about the project.

Edited by frizbot

hello, i have laptop with InsydeH2O bios on it (as i figure out it's EFI bios) i am trying to disassemble that bios and add some changes on it, i read a lot of literature about on board chipset's, efi specifications, now i can extract PE32 executables, i could help you guys.

sorry for my english, i am not native english speaker but i am understanding everything very well.

Thats great news, we can talk more if you come onto our IRC channel on, irc.macspeak.net and join #MacEfi. Also when u extract the binaries, did u extract them from the actual bios file?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

BTW, I am a firmware engineer, worked on ARM platforms with Presice MQX RTOS. Never done BIOS or EFI work though. I have a gateway CX2724 (or Model No TA6), it has an intel 945GM chipset which from what I read so far should support EFI. The BIOS (if emulated) seems to be a PhoenixBIOS. Tried to connect to irc.macspeak.net#MacEfi, got "#MacEfi can't join channel (need correct key)". I am a total newb with IRC. I read and read elswhere and am still not sure where to start.

Just for fun, I'd really like to fool around with my mobo and make it look like a intel Mac... Could anyone post a rundown of where the community is on this, where to start (tools and brief explanations) and where to exchange? BTW, unless there is a constant vigile of an IRC channel by experts, it would be nice to have forums topics which somewhat documents where things are, my 2 cents...

Thanks!

Edited by Vecchio

• 2 weeks later...

All that is missing now is:

An Apple like EFI enviroment (to actually give the kernel everything it suspects is there and let boot.efi continue)

All I was figuring (as I dont have a real mac here) HOW does the real Apple firmware look like? I mean what is its sturcture?

PEI

|

\/

DXE

|

\/

=-HFSplus.efi?

+-driver modules?

+-boot.efi?

What is the directory structure etc etc? I still dont know those and I know that there must be a certain file called at bootup to chain the rest of events (AppleEvent.efi?) Or are the file GUID's in the "right order" if so its strange there is no directory structure...

Kiko or someone else could you PM/mail or just msg here what the firmware "specs" are how it looks like and maybe what is required for a successful boot sequence to start boot.efi. The main thing im worried about now is that we might be able to LOAD the .fd firmware if we extract it to a .fv file OR is it the same? (someone tried the loadfv.efi? As I know it loads EFIEXTENDED.fv on the DUET drive and contains ALL drivers for fat, usbm etc etc)

So we might be able to try this to either load or convert a .fd file to load the "pre" firmware?

Or im floating off into the dark ... I also might need some extra food now and I need to go get some new weed as I just ran out after forking with EFI for 2 straight days :P

Also I want to try if its possible to handle the TPM by EFI driver. Then my next concern was using the DUET implementation does a native EFI implementation onboard stay active? As in OS calls to EFI framework > EFI framework loads corresponding modules?

but first I goto city get myself some weed, go sleep and reread what I just wrote lolololol

extarct the LOCKED_MPB11.fd or whatever its called, use those files, you need hfsplus.efi to see hfs volumes, and boot.efi. boot.efi may have other dependenices, we do not know

the .fd file from apple consists of more "volumes"

the .fd file is nothing more than a "firmware device"-file, its madeup by glueing two or more binary files together.

or on the msdos promp simply copy /b <file 1> + /b <file 2> /b <output-file>

I know now that PEI is loaded from the first part then it searches for and jumps to the actual firmware (aka EFI drivers or dxe), what are the other two?

Also I bumped into the problem my own PC at home is an AMD64 ... seems to crash efildr right after bootmenu shows :wacko:

Both IA32 (efi and uefi) and X64 builds do this, have yet to find out why.

And I got this pile of files from which I have to recover names, anyone here has a GUID > name list for the firmware's?

#define INT15_E820_AddressRangeMemory   1
#define INT15_E820_AddressRangeReserved 2
#define INT15_E820_AddressRangeACPI	 3
#define INT15_E820_AddressRangeNVS	  4

#define EFI_FIRMWARE_BASE_ADDRESS  0x00200000

#define EFI_DECOMPRESSED_BUFFER_ADDRESS 0x00600000

Interresting code ;)

#define EFI_FIRMWARE_BASE_ADDRESS 0x00200000

interesting..

by intel spec. tee base address of firmware should be near 4gb (0xFF800000),

but 0xFFFFFFFF-0xFF800000=0x0020000

• 1 month later...

Netkas did a great job on this. Meaybe we can help?

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1092

current status

using tianocore shell on usb stick

added hfsplus.efi module there, to be able to read hfs+ partitions

patched boot.efi works fine

kernel load and runs

the only problems - graphics.

pc bootloader pass to kernel data about current video card settings (resolution , depth, base memory adress, etc) and also pc bootloader sets vesa mode before running kernel

i ripped values for vga 80x24 mode and vesa 1024x768 mode

the only problem - to set vesa mode somewhere

kernel boots fine, it's modified to utilize efi

even boots to gui, but callisto sets too bad mode for monitor, so i can't see anything, but i can get a screenshot, and sounds, so gui works fine

the only problem right now - some efi tool, which will set vesa mode on videocard, Or, adding this staff to kernel...all needed info about setting vesa mode can be found in boot-132 sources, from apple. file graphics.c. any help is good.

I've already seen that, we had that working sometime last year, but we never had a UGA (vesa driver for the video card). If netkas comes on to irc again soon, i'll talk with him as i might have a solution for him. Also, the aim of this is to be able to use a un-modified kernel, the kernel which boots has crc checks taken out, so not un-modified.

Also on one of our test beds we had efi booting off a cd straight to the GUI with full res change