[How To] Mac OS X 86 on ThinkPad T43

rathalos

70 posts in this topic

Wats the gfx on your thinkpad? cos my thinkpad is a T43 and it has ati mobility radeon x300.... i know of some tricks that they use, like the paper clip trick to allow for the internal monitor....

maybe its a bios setting that you configure wrongly....

i prefer to keep things here.... timezone differences makes things difficult u see... plus i'm very busy with my course in architecture.....

wat problems do you have? if i'm not wrong, intel GMA900 should work out of the box.... there is a patch out there for the GMA900 users i think... try searching around for it.... i will look in my 10.4.6 dvd for it.... should be in there somewhere.....

i will be on this forum everyday.... will answer whenever i can...

im using the paperclips now it works great!

another question

everytime i reboot my laptop i have 2 put the mac adress in again what can i do about it

my ethernet card works if i put the mac adress in but wifi dont

what can i do 2 stop it and just safe the mac adress?

try the link posted by moridin above.... i'm using that method now and it works well... though the mac address does not show up in system profiler, but it does show up when you do a ifconfig....

Ok guys, i recently installed 10.4.9 and i will post a guide back here for T43 for all those who own T43 model.

Warning!! This guide is not 100% foolproof. Please backup your data before you follow this guide. I will not be responsible for any data loss.

What you need

1. Working 10.4.8 system done from earlier guide

2. Koverg Patch v0.2 (can be found earlier)

3. Backup of your working graphics kext (ATI9700* or GMA*)

4. Backup of working OpenGL.framework (in /System/Library/Frameworks/

5. Backup of Powermanagement.bundle (in /System/Library/System Config)

6. IOPCCard kexts from earlier

7. Backup of IO80211 kext and Apple80211 framework (10.4.8)

8. Kiko's 10.4.9 update package (found on #sake, irc.moofspeak.net)

Method of install

1. Run Kiko's 10.4.9 update, do not select the kernel package for installation!!!

2. Do not reboot after install

3. Open terminal

4. Restore your ATI kexts

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon*
sudo mv {location of your ATI backups}/ATIRadeon* /System/Library/Extensions/

5. Restore OpenGL

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
sudo mv {location of your OpenGL backup}/OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/

6. Restore Powermanagement.bundle

sudo rm -R /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Powermanagement.bundle
sudo mv {location of Powermanagement}/Powermanagement.bundle /System/Library/SystemConfiguration

7. Restore IOPCCard's kexts

sudo rm -R /System/Library/AppleACPIPlatform.kext  
sudo rm -R /System/Library/AppleAPIC.kext  
sudo rm -R /System/Library/AppleSMBIOS.kext  
sudo rm -R /System/Library/IOACPIFamily.kext  
sudo rm -R /System/Library/IOPCCardFamily.kext  
sudo rm -R /System/Library/IOPCIFamily.kext  

sudo mv  {location of IOPCCard backup}/AppleACPIPlatform.kext /System/Library/AppleACPIPlatform.kext 
sudo mv  {location of IOPCCard backup}/AppleAPIC.kext /System/Library/AppleAPIC.kext 
sudo mv  {location of IOPCCard backup}/AppleSMBIOS.kext /System/Library/AppleACPISMBIOS.kext 
sudo mv  {location of IOPCCard backup}/IOACPIFamily.kext /System/Library/IOACPIFamily.kext 
sudo mv  {location of IOPCCard backup}/IOPCCardFamily.kext /System/Library/IOPCCardFamily.kext 
sudo mv  {location of IOPCCard backup}/IOPCIFamily.kext /System/Library/IOPCIFamily.kext

8. Restore 802.11 frameworks for iwi2200

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
sudo rm -R /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework

sudo mv {location of 802.11 backup}/IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo mv {location of 802.11 backup}/Apple80211.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/

9. Enabling QE and CI on system

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/Info.plist
-> Search for "5b60" and replace it with "5460"

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/Contents/Info.plist
-> replace IONDRVFramebuffer with CallistoFB

[b]10.[/b] Extract Koverg v0.2 to desktop and run it
[code]cd {location of koverg}/
sudo ./patch.sh 54 60

11. Remove kextcache and mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

12. Repair permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Frameworks/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Frameworks/

13. Reboot

Notes

Upon the first restart, there is a high chance that you wont see the menu bar. But if you do, its a good sign. This guide has a high success rate, but its not 100% guarantee working as i only done it once. Like i said, do backup your data in case you destroy your install.

It might require a few restarts to get things working. I would strongly reccommend you to open terminal and run "sudo update_prebinding -root / -force" to update the system's vital files.

Please do try it out and feedback to me.

ok, i played around with the 10.4.9 ATI kexts and i dont really like them..... Ok, netkas' kext might work.... but you have to remove callisto first..... removing callisto = having your mouse in gazillion bits after playing a 3d game.... plus the driver causes sketchup to repeatedly crash my loginwindow and crash itself on start....

not recommended for anyone with T43, 2XXX.... stick to callisto 006 with 10.4.4 ati kexts....

This guide is going to be very useful as I just picked up a T43p... I have done the first 4 steps.

But I'm a little confused about using Pacifist to open the Apple 10.4.8 Combo Update... I downloaded the JaS 10.4.8 AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 iso... I assume this is not what your guide is referring to? So I assume there exists another download which is just the 10.4.8 Update (I guess I need to get myself a demon account)

Another note, Safari doesn't work for some reason, nothing happens when I try to run it... must have to do with me having installed JaS updates but not the Apple Combo Update.

plz help :P

Hi,

I just received a new T60 and the first thing I'll did was trying to install MacOSX on it. Before that I had a T41p that was running MacOSX 10.4.8 just fine. But now I've got big problems.

I used the latest macos from the demon "JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.with v1p.and.Deviant.patch", it installs fine but when it reboots I can't see anything, it's dark. I see the blue screen and the mouse and 3 sec after it's dark and won't go further.

What can I do?

I tried an older image;

1. Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD Intel (JaS)

2. JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg.zip <--- I'm here at the moment...

3. koolkal 10.4.9 combo update intel sse3 hpet.zip

Will this work and will I not have any problems to install the newest kernel?

Just installed "koolkal 10.4.9 combo update intel sse3 hpet.zip" after I installed "JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg.zip" and it messed all up.

I've got the grey screen with "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button..." :'(

I successfully installed 10.4.6 on a TP43.

This one has 1.5 GB of RAM and a dual boot in a 7200 rpm 60 GB HD (three partitions, first NTFS with XP, second FAT32 with IBM rescue partition and third with HPFS+ Journaled with Mac OS).

The only DVD ISO I could obtain had the 10.4.4 version plus an integrated 10.4.6 combo update and other patches that I did not install.

From your instructions, I did skip the Semthex kernel installation, because I'm unsure whether it is compatible with 10.4.6

Now everything works OK (I have not tried the Wireless NIC or the PC Cards).

I'm hesitant to upgrade to 10.4.9 directly from the 10.4.6 since the Semthex kernel has been updated only to be compatible with 10.4.8 and I was unable to obtain 10.4.8 update on the usual places (Green Demon, Iso Hunt).

Nevertheless everything has been working smooth, except for the QE / CI that did not work. I suppose that this has to do with the Semthex kernel not being installed, but who knows for sure?

Thanks for the instructions, it was fun. :)

I was able to atest the huge performance increase jumping from my iBook G4 and then the T43, even if it is not the most modern machine!

Keep up the good work.

kingskawn:

Hi, i'm not sure about installing os x on t60 as the hardware is much much different than that of t43... its made my lenovo u see... t43s still retains much of ibm's original blueprints... so this guide is most likely not to work on t60...

when i say apple combo update, i mean using pacifist to open up the ORIGINAL apple combo update which can be found at apple's website.... do not attempt to install it as it will break everything... all we need to do is just to extract some vital files from it.....

Ufens:

If u're unsure about whether to update to 10.4.9, i suggest you keep off it for a while... i'm running 10.4.9 btw.... go ahead with 10.4.8 though, it is safe..... as for qe and ci, i would have to know which graphics card you are having, as mine is ATI x300, which is later versions of the T43p.... 2669 to be exact.... so if your configuration belongs to the 18XX, chances are, you are having a GMA900 or 950, cant remember which... then you will have to search the forums for support on GMA 900/950... so feel free to post any additional steps to get that card working on T43 in replacement of the X300 steps....

this is meant to be a repository and guide to help newbies work out their installs on t43.... :thumbsup_anim:

Rathalos:

Actually I think we have the same model of ThinkPad T43. Mine also has the ATI Mobility Radeon X300 / 64MB.

I was able to modify the ATI kexts so MacOS recognizes the Card and I'm running my LCD at 1400 x 1050 which is its native resolution. The Displays preferences shows all the supported resolutions and can change between them effortlessly. Even though the previous statements, the System Profiler says that neither QE, nor CI are supported by my machine. :hysterical:

I would really like to update to 10.4.8, but I've been unable in hunting down the 10.4.8 update package from the usual places. Do you think It would be OK for me to update directly to 10.4.9?

As previously noted I followed all of your instructions minus the Semthex kernel installation. Do you think that not having the Semthex kernel affects my ability to get QE/CI?

Thank you again for all your help and support, if anyone needs details of how I did something in particular, well rathalos has already covered everyting for my setup, but I will be happy to detail further for anyone.

:thumbsup_anim:

I forgot to mention that the Wireless Card is not working OK.

It is detected by System Profiler and the Menu is present, but whenever I try to connect to any Network, It always gives me the same error.

:P

post-95933-1175054511_thumb.png

post-95933-1175054900_thumb.png

Hi

I installed JaS 10.4.8 on my Thinkpad T60.

Worked perfectly.

After I installed the 10.4.9 update and SMB fix from JaS, my Ethernet netcard isn't recognized anymore.

Anyone know how I can fix this, Thanks?

Ayla,

you have to backup your kexts as stated earlier...... then replace the IONetworkingFamily.kext from your backup to 10.4.9...... that should get things working

gnico,

any version of it will work...... try out jalavoui's latest version....

Thanks you for your answer rathalos!

I've just read that iwi2200 driver needs Apple80211.framework and IO80211.kext from 10.4.7 to work.

Can anyone send me those files? PM me I'll give you my email address. Thanks a lot!

Finally I got the ATI Card Working on my T43 with both QE and CI.

Now I'm getting the annoying tearing, that previously didn't happen (worst tradeoff ever)

Some comments

I redid the whole installation beginning with the 10.4.4 DVD that had the 10.4.6 Update only built in (no other patches were installed).

Then applied the 10.4.8 update (JAS SSE2 Intel Only Combo Update)

Skipped steps 5 to 8 from the rathalos' guide.

Skipped step 9 for the PCCard support.

Skipped step 22 for the installation of the Wireless Support

Now I have 10.4.8 working on the T43.

I can no longer see the CPU version on the "About this Mac Dialog" seems like a minor annoyance to me.

I can now see the ATI M300 Card Listed on System Profiler with all the support from the MacOS.

post-95933-1176077394_thumb.png

post-95933-1176077457_thumb.png

post-95933-1176077481_thumb.png

Rathalos:

I have version 8.4.1 of the Semthex Kernel on my System.

I'm experimenting a complete displacement (i.e. garbled content) on every window whenever I move it or scroll in it either using the mouse wheel or the window arrows.

Could you please tell me if there is anything I can do to solve this?

Am I running the right Kernel version?

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

post-95933-1176165475_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Rathalos-

First, thank you for the great guide! I do have a question though: You state:

14. Edit CallistoHAL.kext and input in your device card ID

Could you be more specific? I think this step is much more detailed than your one-line description leads one to believe. Do I need to hex edit CallistoHAL? Do I just need to enter a card ID in the plist?

I have a V3200 ( Ven_ID : 1002 and Dev_ID : 3154 ) on a T43p.

If you could please give a more detailed description of this step I think it would not only benefit myself, but others as well...

Thank you!!

Hmmmm... Perhaps it is as easy as replacing the 3154 in the plist. However a new problem arises with the koverg.

When I execute sudo ./patch9700.sh 31 54

I get an error mkdir /var/root/Documents: no such file or directory

cp: /var/root/Documents/originals: no such file or directory

Reading from /var/root/Documents/originals/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700...

Error opening input file /var/root/Documents/originals/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700

Any idea what is going on here and how to resolve it?

Resolved: It has to do with the fact I was root. Do not do the patch9700.sh while root, as there is not a root user directory...

---

Mine is ThinkPad R52, and i almost got everything perfectly done in my OSX, but the truth is I can't make the internet connection work, i've serached in several forums, i've tried several ways to modify a more convinient drive, but after all, i still can't use the cute Safari, every time when i try it, i got a message like "CAN'T LOCATE THE PPPOE SERVER".

anybody has met similar problem?

• 6 months later...