[How To] Mac OS X 86 on ThinkPad T43

rathalos

70 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Recently i have been receiving tons of PMs on how i got my thinkpad to work, and therefore, i will write a guide on how i got all the things to work and links to all the different sources that i have used...

Please bear with me for a while as i am compiling all the sources plus its valentines day, and i need to spend time with my gf.... will be posting the guide in one day or so....

please be patient....

ok guys, guess i rested long enough.... i will post a quick guide to how i did my installation, tons of work piling up on me, so i will make it quick...

Things you will need

1. 10.4.6 Install dvd from any source that you wish.

2. Jas 10.4.8 Intell SSE2 only combo update

3. Apple 10.4.8 combo update

4. Pacifist by charlesoft

5. Powermanagement.bundle from this forum

6. A hacked IONetworkingFamily.kext

7. Koverg v0.2 which can be found in this forum

8. Callisto v06

9. A set of files to enable IOPCCard.kext to work

10. Semthex's beta9 exp6 kernel

11. Jalavoui & xKazu's iwi2200.kext

Method

1. Run the 10.4.6 Install DVD and do a clean install. Do not select any other packages other than the 10.4.6 combo update under options!!!!

2. After installation in complete, finish up the initial first use process up till you reach the desktop.

3. Now, run the Jas 10.4.8 Intel SSE2 only combo update

4. Reboot

5. Next, use pacifist and open Apple's 10.4.8 combo update

6. Select only the extensions that are not graphics related (ie does not carry the ATI* or NV* header. will try to upload jas' extensions soon. AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext is safe for T43)

7. Move in Semthex's kernel and backup the old one:

sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.old

sudo mv {location of ur new kernel}/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel

sudo chmod 644 /mach_kernel

8. Remove r2d2.kext from extensions folder

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/r2d2.kext

9. Now move in the IOPCCard.kext and its dependent kexts

sudo mv {location of files}/* /System/Library/Extensions/

10. Repair permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

11. Remove the kextcache and mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

12. Reboot

13. Now you are blessed with a 10.4.8 system

14. Edit CallistoHAL.kext and input in your device card ID

15. Move in Callisto driver

sudo mv {location of Callisto}/Callisto* /System/Library/Extensions/

16. Repair permissions for Callisto

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto*

17. Enable Callisto framebuffer

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/Contents/Info.plist

-> Locate "IONDRVFramebuffer" at the bottom and replace with "CallistoFB"

18. Applying koverg (extract it to the desktop)

cd /User/{your name}/Desktop/Kovergv0.2/

sudo ./patch.sh 54 60

19. Editing your ATI kext

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/Info.plist

-> use find and locate "5b60" and replace that with "5460"

20. Move in the Powermanagement.bundle to enable battery status

sudo rm -R /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Powermanagement.bundle

sudo mv {location of bundle}/Powermanagement.bundle /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/

21 Move in the edited network kext for Broadcom ethernet

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

sudo mv {location of kext}/IONetworkingFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

22. Move the wireless kext into the extensions folder

sudo mv {location of wireless kext}/iwi2200.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

23. Repair permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Powermanagement.bundle

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Powermanagement.bundle

24. Remove kextcache and mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

25. Reboot

26. Viola, working 10.4.8 system

Post guide notes

This guide is written based on my installation experience with my thinkpad T43 2669-A67 and is not guaranteed to work on other models of the thinkpad nor other variations of the T43.

The mac address of the ethernet is default to 00:00:00:00:00:00 and needs to be manually changed to your address using:

sudo ifconfig en0 ether {ur mac address}

It is highly reccommended that you install the ethernet kext first and reboot for the device to be placed in en0 before installing the iwi2200 kext. Due to some problems related with iwi2200 needing to be in the en1 slot. I'm not sure if this issue has been resolved, but just to be safe.

Methods to enable Quartz 2D Extreme can be found in this forum and will not be covered in this guide.

Methods to get Frontrow is also found on this site and will not be covered.

Modem is not working, until someone ports the linux driver for us.

PC Cards have not been tested if they are working as i do not own one, but the method posted only allows detection of the PCCard slot.

In order for proper performance of the OS, you need to set the thermal management in the bios to max performance rather than throttling, otherwise you will get stuttering and sluggish OS.

Callisto_b006.zip

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

IOPCCard.zip

koverg_patch9700_v0.2.tar

PowerManagement.bundle.zip

kernel_beta9.6.zip

iwi2200.kext.zip

• Like 1

ok, sorry guys, forgot to add one more step, only realised it today:

27. Open the 10.4.6 DVD with Pacifist (10.4.6 combo works too)

28. Search for mail.app and select it

29. Click install, then when they prompt you, just select update

This fixes the sending problem with regards to that of mail.app not being able to send emails out. Apparently, the 10.4.8 mail.app is problematic and should be replaced with that of the 10.4.6.

As for the power management and speed step, there is some possibility that it might work with when semthex incorporate's paulicat's speedstep code directly into the kernel. Keep checking out the IRC or semthex's kernel thread!

As for the trackpad and touchpoint, touchpoint works occasionally, i'm not sure why. There is no scrolling support for the touchpad. Only the basic functions. The middle button does not work.

Disk burning has not been tested yet. I am not sure if it will burn cds well, so yea, test it and let me know. I might be changing my drive with my GF's T60 dvd burner drive, not sure if it will fit.

Edited by rathalos

Feedback please, for guys with T43, or guys with similar system configs. Jus wanna check if the guide was successful for you guys....

The guide works great, only thing I can not seem to get working is the mac address, everytime I boot up my VM OSX I get a

mac address of 00:00:00:00:00:00. It does not matter which type I select, Bridge, Nat, etc. I tried the

ifconfig en0 ether {mac add} but that did not work either.

Any ideas on how to get this working it is an intel based nic.

db

Hi !

Big thx 4 this Guide, i hope i can test it this week.

but i have antoher Question..

How do you got VISTA & MAC to Work.. ?

When i install mac vista won't boot anymore because of HARDWARE CHANGED...

hope u can help B)

Greets Juno

I was never able to fix QE/CI on my T43. All the remaining hardware is working, except the infrared and internal modem. I've tryed Callisto + koverg but that only leads to a black screen with a pointer (that works).

I've used the Jas 1.4.8 AMD INTEL SSE2 SSE3 disk and grabbed iwi2200 and Callisto 6 from this forum.

Juno:

As for how i got Vista and mac to boot together, i am not sure of the exact method myself, but apparently, i accidentally destroyed vista's boot loader information.... therefore, in vista, when i tried to use the boot editor, they always return "Boot configuration not found"

davebarr:

When you use OS X in a VM, the broadcom network card does not work, as it is not emulated by the virtualisation software. Instead, it emulates an AMD-PCNet if i'm not wrong. you would require maxxuss AMD-PCNet kext... i have posted it for you here so you can enable your networking.

peterblood:

I'm not sure about the 10.4.8 DVD, but you might want to try using pacifist and extract earlier versions of ATI kext from 10.4.6 and use them with callisto and koverg, that might help. Alternatively, you might wanna try using an earlier version of loginwindow.app like from 10.4.4.... those might be possible solutions...

General note:

Burning CDs do not work currently unless you use patchburn to allow the system to fully support the drive. Works with T43's cd burner and T60's DVD combo drive.

MaxxussAMDPCNET.kext.zip

Trident,

Jas 10.4.8 SSE2 only combo does not contain any extensions, as they are kernel dependent.... prior to the release of semthex's kernel for the sse2 bunch, we are stuck with kernel version 8.4.1, which can only take extensions up to 10.4.6 or .7

Jas released at one point a full set of 10.4.8 extensions to install, i will look for it and upload somewhere....

Just followed (most of) this yesterday on my T43. Many thanks for this great guide. I used the JaS 10.4.8 and am dual booting with XP (acronis loader is great). Everything seems to be working so far. Just playing around a little more now. Maybe I will post in length what I did (especially using Katana for the video drivers).

My only wish is for Speedstep, as I would like for things not to be slow on battery. More efficient use of resources is always a priority. ;)

Thanks again, and lets hope for more development!

haha... pray hard for speedstep, paulicat's working on it, but i heard so far, the SSE3 kernels have some form of speedstep or sleep... so all we can do now is pray that semthex's next release will include speedstep and sleep for sse2 users as it affects almost all the laptop users.....

That would be awesome, for sure! :)

Question: Katana seems to have worked quite well for the X300. However I was wondering if anyone has got dual displays work using the docking station (as it does in Windows)?

I could never get it to work in Ubuntu, and getting it to work in OSX would be awesome. When I log on, and change the resolution, it mirrors on both displays, so hopefully there is a way I can setup one as a different display.

Thanks again for the great tutorial!

no problem! as for the docking station and dual displays, there isnt support unless someone is willing to port the thing and decipher the code for mac os x..... anyway, the older ATI Xxxx series are abandoned..... everyones developing for the X1000 and above....

Hey man! great guide.

I have a Dell I9300 with the same PCCard chipset and your PCCard files got my cardbus slot working.

It recognizes my Cardbus Nic and apple even has drivers for it =) (DLink DWA-642 - atheros 5424)

The only problem I have is the AirportAtheros.kext wont load because it requires at least Version 2.0 of IOPCIFamily.kext.

The one you have provided is 1.8 but its required to make the Cardbus slot to work.

SO with all that my question is... where did you get the PCCard files? Did you make/edit them? and if so could you let me know what to do to a 2.0 file to make it work?

I am so close I can taste it... I basically did alittle "hacking" in the Info.plist files to get the AirportAtheros.kext to load.. the card is recognized but i can do anything with it..

I am assuming its to do with the IOPCIFamily being wrong. I think that cause if I do a kextload -v 6 AirportAtheros.kext it says that the IOPCIFamily is the correct version but the wrong file....

Hope that all makes sense =)

Thanks for any help you can give

Tony

Well I got it working!!

Woohoo!!

All it took was editing the Networkpreferences.plist and the dependency version info in the airportatheros.kext itself...

It works now! I am posting from it as I type!

I am soo exctied.. I got my dell 100% working!

Will try to get together everything I did and post a howto

Thanks Rathalos for the PCCard files

No problem! Glad to have another success story.... :) As for the IOPCCard files, i got them from this forum, its quite a while back, so it might be troublesome to find them again.... but i posted them again anyway... :)

Finally go QE/CI to work. What a pain in the ass! Unfortunately the mouse artifacts/tearing is extremely annoying. Almost to the point of giving up on the T43 implementation (but not on the desktop!). I did try using some of the "hacks" (like mousepose), but it still isn't complete. It's a real shame.

Anyways, does anyone know of a way to permanently make OSX recognize the MAC for the broadcom adapter? Maybe program it on startup or something. Manually doing it every boot is getting silly. I did a quick search, but haven't found anything.

umm.... one method that i did find was the rc.local trick.... but it was unreliable as rc.local script was not run anymore in 10.4.8, therefore, the ifconfig command was not executed.......

but u can try as such:

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

Add in these to the file:

sudo ifconfig en0 ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
sudo ipconfig set en0 DHCP

Pray hard that this will work..... though i am kinda certain it wont on a 10.4.8..... Prior to that, it might work....

Thanks for the tip.

I am curious if you have the same "mouse tearing" issue on your laptop. I believe it is only as you press a button, or scroll in a page.

It's one of those things that isn't constantly happening, but happens enough that it is annoying. :thumbsup_anim:

Just a little update...

Using Mouse Locator and Mighty Mouse (both mentioned in these forums), it seems to have cleared up 95% of the tearing issues. To the point that it is acceptable to use the mouse now. :)

As for adding the MAC on startup, I followed these instructions:

http://www.osxfaq.com/Tutorials/LearningCe...tartup/index.ws

I used the "Starting up Unix Applications" to change the MAC on startup (last, just in case). It works flawlessly! Creating a startup item isnt as simple as using rc.local, however like you said rathalos, it is disabled. Hooray!

Now if only I could get the wireless card to not give me a kernel panic... nah, there will always be something. :)

well, for the wireless card, the dev team is still working hard on that.... gotta give credit to those guys..... well, i'm living with mouse tearing for a while..... and nowadays, i rarely use my ethernet port.... only connect it to my bro's desktop to play some multiplayer games.... but still, it accepts a blank ethernet address... so i didnt really bother to find out specifically how to fix the issue.....

It depends on what you are connecting to. At home, blank MAC is fine. At work, it's a no go. Glad I found a solution, and most things are working now.

Now to see if I can get this going on my new Athlon64 X2 machine... :)