How to start xterm in MacOS X?

tomtefar

4 posts in this topic

Hi

If I start X11 from Application/Utilities I can invoke a new xterm by choosing "Terminal" under the "Applications" menu in X11.

But, if I wanna start a new xterm from a "Mac OS X" Terminal command line I get the error:

"xterm Xt error: Can't open display"

eventhough I still have X11 running.

I have updated my X11 with the 1.1.3/2006 update from Apple and I've tried setting the DISPLAY variable.

Can someone help me?? Please...

:lol: Yeah I guess it is not that obvious why I would like to do it.

Short version: I'm writing a program, or rather a plugin, for a program that runs under X11 and I would like to use GLUT in that plugin. I have some problems with GLUT not being able to open a window due to the same error as I'm having when trying to start xterm from Terminal.app. So my question is a part of my debugging of the other plugin.

I don't know if that makes sense? But if I can get the xterm to start maybe I know what parameters to set / send to GLUT to make work.

But... you are right, just tested it again and I did set the DISPLAY wrong. So this did not help me the way I wanted. Thanks for your reply though!

It makes a little bit of sense...

Admittedly I do have a bit of disdain for only being able to use X11 under OS X when you have a perfectly good windowing system sitting there wanting to be used (especially because GTK+ doesn't have good support for it and KDE4 isn't ready yet).

I have no idea what the style of the program you're working with is like, but GLUT is supposed to be one of Apple's supported methods of using OpenGL....