Edit button missing

53 posts in this topic

It comes down to how actively moderated this forum is, and I seriously doubt the edit function is THAT much of a tool for abuse

Tell that to the hundreds of people that couldn't find the Natit thread when it disappeared :(

I don't think we need an edit feature that last longer then a few hours. If something needs to be edited, a member can simply leave a new post :2cents:

Tell that to the hundreds of people that couldn't find the Natit thread when it disappeared ;)

I don't think we need an edit feature that last longer then a few hours. If something needs to be edited, a member can simply leave a new post :2cents:

Did you not read the last sentence in my post? :thumbsup_anim:

I'd be extremely frustrated to re-post a guide or other helpful information just so that I can update it, and would much rather prefer that the edit ability returns.

I didn't miss anything :whistle:

Don't write a guide if you don't have your {censored} straight to begin with. Ask a mod or admin to let you in to edit something thats bugging you. Follow your thread and help people as they need it, an update doesn't have to be a page long and if your guide is good enough you'll only need to help.

I'd be extremely frustrated to re-post a guide or other helpful information just so that I can update it, and would much rather prefer that the edit ability returns.

I'll make a mod to allow thread starters to always be able to edit their posts

I didn't miss anything :stretcher:

Don't write a guide if you don't have your {censored} straight to begin with. Ask a mod or admin to let you in to edit something thats bugging you. Follow your thread and help people as they need it, an update doesn't have to be a page long and if your guide is good enough you'll only need to help.

I disagree, because you cannot assume that every bit of information posted will be perfect, especially with the fact that for certain hardware, support and issues are constantly on-going. Through helping, you also gain significant information that can be useful for integration into a guide, and it makes for a much cleaner thread if someone only has to read through the first post in order to solve 99% of the problems he/she may encounter.

other: Thanks for the quote, I actually missed that part. My apologies if I came across as overzealous!

Edited by devilhood

In some cases though guides NEED to be updated and it just makes sense to update the main post instead of adding a reply. Especially if your thread happens to have hundreds of replies and an update gets buried in there. In my case I keep a thread up to date with Windows drivers and these are constantly being updated as better versions are found. Since it's a sticky I don't want users to get the wrong updates which might cause problems down the road. I'm sure similar situations happen throughout the forums.

btw thanks Other for the mod. I've had a couple requests with updates already so I'll be glad when the mod is up.

I agree with AirmanPika, since writing my tutorial (just days ago) some new appleHDA patches came out. It would be nice (and much cleaner) to simply edit the post. Perhaps a compromise would be to enable editing in The Genius Bar only. That way tutorial authors could update.

The negative definitely outweighs the positive for disabling the "edit" feature. What's more annoying:

1) Seeing a few strange posts that were edited to be out of context with the surrounding messages

2) Not being able to edit at all.

In some threads with multiple tutorials from different users, limiting the "edit" feature to thread starters just doesn't cut it. Example: the Natit tutorial thread.

Enough said.

Thanks for the input, everyone - keep it coming.

We've always operated this forum with the ethos that it's best to give too much freedom than not enough and that, until it's abused, power is given freely. We have had some abuse in the past, so we had to take action, but I'm glad the community is speaking out.

howdy. 2 make the long story short: I need the edit button back quickly - I need 2 b able to react swiftly to people PMing me bugs or suggestions about my attached kext installers, scripts etc. Ridding your people here of the ability to edit old scripts you admins make yourself guilty of spreading outdated data and information. That's not what you guys want, is it?

Also so much more work for the mods, and 2 much limited reactivity 4 the active. This is NOT a feature .. :)

Thanks - please restore this quickly.

Cheers,

Bugs

A compromise could be that the first post of a thread, the Originating Post, be always editable to its creator.

Usually tutorials are in the first posts anyway (although some come later in the thread by others), and there can often be a need to update them (for various reasons).

Don't know though if this mod can be made.

An alternative, if this restriction is maintained, would be to link to a blog and redirect people there, and only use InsanelyMac's forum as advertising launchpad for one or many tutorials, as has been done by some already.

That would change the immediacy of InsanelyMac's resourcefulness of course, but that would be the safest/surest way to have tutorial updatability.

Edited by cbmkgd

Hi I am also in favor of keeping the editing function alive. This definitely is a great help for maintaining guides, and also makes it easy to find information, esp. upload links, updates, news. So pls. bring back the edit button.

However, I also agree that abuse of the edit feature is unacceptable. Hopefully those users who have been found in breach, have been suspended. But perhaps there are other ways of dealing with it. Alternative suggestions: Ok for the only-original post edit. Or, perhaps we could have a group who have edit permissions on e.g. developers.

Best.

A compromise could be that the first post of a thread, the Originating Post, be always editable to its creator.

Agreed, the point of my needing to edit posts is due to its informational nature. Since the first thread is always visible (usually) then this is where most people will look. Tutorials or heads up that have changing info need to be updated alot and those of us who manage these want users to have the latest info. When a thread has alot of replies users generally won't read every reply so the info is lost alot of the time. Hopefully we'll see something soon.