Edit button missing

53 posts in this topic

I seem to be hitting this on both my PCs. I was trying to update the Driver Hunt thread in the Bootcamp forum and the Edit option is completely gone. I've cleared my cache and history to no avail. Of course I'm using Vista on both my macs if that helps too. Its like the forum thinks I'm not the one who posted the original thread. I've also checked my other posts and same issue.

Odd it lets me edit this thread though...

Edited by AirmanPika

I just edited something today, so I guess it works now.

EDIT: Heres proof

Edited by Unstable Connection

I think Edit button is allowed for edit mistyped words for a few minutes, then it's gone.

Some time users can change what the said in order to avoid be resonsable of what they wrote.

Yea but the thing is it used to always be availible as long as you were the owner. Some of us have certain threads that need updating as they contain info that needs updated for users on occasion.

I'll make a mod to allow thread starters to always be able to edit their posts but editing posts after 12 hours has now been disabled because some members see fit to abuse it.

ghaa members are abusing too much stuff

the delete button

the this post has been edited by thing and now the edit button :thumbsup_anim::rolleyes::thumbsdown_anim:

I'll make a mod to allow thread starters to always be able to edit their posts but editing posts after 12 hours has now been disabled because some members see fit to abuse it.

Forums are always full of abuse, heh.

Hope the problem is resolved soon.

The main way I can see it being "abused" is if one person says something offensive, negative or whatever, once it brings up attention, they will change it causing the descending 5 posts to be quoting what he said, which is no longer there. So basically trying to hide what you shouldn't have said.

I may be missing the whole point (or I just made no sense), but anyways, I'd say there's benefits going both ways.

Hey guys.

Yeah, we had to change around the edit feature because some people saw fit, perhaps after an evening of too much alcohol, to go back through ALL their posts and type "___________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________" for the whole thing... which as you can imagine, totally ruins a thread (if people are replying to what they said, etc).

But, being the democratic community we are, I'll leave it up to you - is the risk of abuse worth having the Edit button return? :)

Quite simply, yes.

Who honestly cares if only a few individuals went back on their posts only to replace them with "__________________________________" ?

Why can't you just warn them? and if they persist, ban them! because in a sense they are creating spam responses from old messages.

Forums are always full of abuse, but we can't always use the "oh noes, he abused this function so we need to disable it pronto111" resolution.

It comes down to how actively moderated this forum is, and I seriously doubt the edit function is THAT much of a tool for abuse that it would mean complete anarchy.

I'd be extremely frustrated to re-post a guide or other helpful information just so that I can update it, and would much rather prefer that the edit ability returns.

Quite simply, yes.

Who honestly cares if only a few individuals went back on their posts only to replace them with "__________________________________" ?

Why can't you just warn them? and if they persist, ban them! because in a sense they are creating spam responses from old messages.

Forums are always full of abuse, but we can't always use the "oh noes, he abused this function so we need to disable it pronto111" resolution.

It comes down to how actively moderated this forum is, and I seriously doubt the edit function is THAT much of a tool for abuse that it would mean complete anarchy.

I'd be extremely frustrated to re-post a guide or other helpful information just so that I can update it, and would much rather prefer that the edit ability returns.

Seconded

Quite simply, yes.

thirded