Introduce Yourself

Swad

213 posts in this topic

I'm starting this thread for all of us (well, maybe not all 40,000 of us) to introduce ourselves.

I'm Mash, I'm a Senior in college majoring in Communication Studies. I do some part time web design work and love all things technology. I'm also into music, literature, politics, nature, traveling, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I live in the American Midwest and I love it. Oh, and I've only become a fan of Macs in the past year or so.

So that's enough about me - how about you?

I'm jbacko, I've been in and around the computer scene since the early 1980's. I worked with Xerox PARC doing multilingual programing (virtual Keyboards, languages, fonts and editors) for the Xerox STAR & 6085, following that I went to Sun (in the good old days!) where my first Workstation was a Sun 3/50 running SunOS (a BSD derivative, like the guts of OS X). I did some work with NCD doing xterms and email, and then I went to Netscape. I stayed at Netscape until AOL bought them (biggest bummer of my life!). Since then I've been doing freelance consulting - mainly Solaris and Internetworking stuff.

I happend across the Marklar bits on a torrent, gave it a shot - and totally fell for this OS. It's been my only OS for over two months now, and it will be for a very long time - anything to get rid of M$. I found the OSx86 Project and visit this site daily.

I live on the East Coast of the USA.

Oh, and I have a couple of boys who like to hack the parental control passwords on our satellite controller ;-)

I am Rykielz, I am a sophmore in college majoring in Informatics (Computer Science). I love computers and cars. I dont necessarily hate M$ but I like to pretend I do cuz it pisses off a good friend of mine lol :)

and installing OSx86 on a PC almost pushed him over the edge! hahah so much fun!

I never really thought that I would like mac's but after experiencing it I am in love..now to just get wifi working and I wont have to log in to windows at all.

I live in So Cal

So that's enough about me - how about you?

I'm DrJägermeister because I like drinking (and smoking) hard stuff.

I am arrogant, bad, ugly, unpleasant and always drunk.

I'm an ashole and loving it.

Hope the 13000 other menbers have a better character than me :D

Greetz from Germany

I'm 23

I like read some books, including the ones from Dan Brown (one of my favorite writer)

Music.. my favorite kind is Trance!! Hot Trance plz (progressive, hardstyle and vocals)

I like alot to play games :D (Xbox and PSP)

I like to go on cine, go out with friends to drink some stuff and i like to camping when i can.

I hate my bad habits: smoking.

I love our girls, so sorry but brazillians woman is just the best in rest of world...

From computers i'm get my first meet with mac is just 3 yrs ago, i aways used to be an ordinary microsoft windows user, when i see a g4 running mac os, my eyes just bright and i'm in love until today.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Metrogirl, and yes I really am a blonde... I'm English. I work with computers and I spend a lot of time in the US and Canada. Right now I live in the US, near New York. I've programmed all sorts of systems from 6502 mcros to VM mainframes. I love technology and dissecting logic - I guess that's why I'm here. I have several systems including a couple of real Macs and a bunch of PCs.

My hobbies are cooking, playing piano and writing. I spend too much time on line...

Bad habits - I like wine rather too much. Plus all the usual ones.

The name "Metrogirl" was suggested by a friend on IRC because I'm excessively fond of Fritz Lang's 1927 film "Metropolis" and, well, I'm a girl.

Sarah xx

• 1 month later...

The name's Bond...James Bond.

Acutally the name's Matthew....and I'm currently a High-School student in Ontario, Canada. Been into technology and such for a while, pretty much like everyone else on the site...

I'm really into music. I play both guitar and piano, and do write alot of my own stuff. Just recently started messing around with both my PC/Mac to do some recording work. It's a real {censored} to master stuff for a nice sound =/

Other interests...Well, I like reading. Usually anything fiction, fantasy fiction, etc. I also write when I have time, though I don't have enough initative to actually finish anything! Also do a bunch of sports, e.g Swimming, Hockey, Skiing.

I spend a tad too much time online as well....but all of my other spare time is spent around and about, so that balances things out a bit. I like reading a couple webcomics in my spare time...Dr. McNinja is amazing...one of my favs. Plus I spend alot of time on Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and you might see me around the forums as Sparticus.

Anyways...that's me. :star_smile:

I'm Cyrana (duh), and I'm a redhead, so that means I'm superior to all of you. :P Currently live in the US, although I'm moving to Wales later this year. My job is computer related (network security), and I've been in computers for a while now. (If you know a great recruiter in the UK, let me know)Interestingly, I studied history and Japanese in college, and then lived in Japan a while before getting into computers. As for PCs, I only have two x86 boxes, as I've sold all my macs recently in anticipation of something. :P

My hobbies are cooking reading, writing, wasting time on the computer, keeping in shape, and doing stuff with my dog. I definitely spend too much time online...

Cyrana doesn't mean anything, it was just a name I used in some online game years ago (Asheron's Call). I'm more prone to go by denjin or windycitycassie. You can gather my name by the second half of that last one. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
and I'm a redhead, so that means I'm superior to all of you. :P

Hey, I'm a redhead too. :D Togeether we shall rule the osx86project forums! Haha, just kidding.

Anyway, I'm Patrick. I'm from Perdido Key, FL, USA. I'm currently a Sophomore in High School.

I have one PC with an AMD AthlonMP 1500+, soon to be an Athlon64 3000+. I also have a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop running OS X.

I guess that's about all. :)

Edited by kif

I'm Cam. I live up here in the Great White North of Canada, eh!. Now take off, ya hoser!

Here, temperatures range from -40'C in the Winter (capitalized for a good reason, also it's -40'F too) to +40'C (~104'F+) in the summer. Yup need to pay $1000's for natural gas during the Winter, and many $100's for air conditioning during the summer.

I've been using computers since the Commodore 64 back in 1987. I graduated to a Mac Plus in 1990. In 1993, I got a computer job for a consulting firm, and I was forced to learn Windows and DOS. I quickly became the computer guy from not knowing anyting about those two. After graduating from high school, I worked for Future Shop for a year. Then I started my own business for a couple of years.

I got a job at a mail order company in 1997, and totally computerized them within 4 months (total software written from scratch for shipping, accounting, database, etc.). That software was all written in HyperCard (which, at the time, was promising and version 3.0 was just around the corner). HyperCard is now dead, and so is the Mac OS 9 that it runs on. Our company is struggling with a computer system, and I'm in the process of upgrading the entire system to Runtime Revolution and CGI.

Here are my computer-related job titles:

- computer programmer

- network administrator (we run all DNS, mail, routers, etc., in-house with a 40Mbps fibre connection)

- website designer

- database designer/programmer

- Windows 2000 and XP administrator

- Mac OS 9 client administrator

- Mac OS X administrator for servers

Amoung many other job duties. My most ambitious job project at the moment is developing an in-house replacement for eBay for us (it's becoming a pain to use eBay). We want to start auctioning items on our own website instead. I've been working on that for over a year now. Should be up and running soon.

I like kung-fu movies, and spaghetti westerns. Gamecube is my console of choice.

I've visited these US States in my travels: ND, SD, MN, IA, WY, CO, MT, ID, WA, NM, TX, KS, MO, OK, GA, FL, KY, IL, TN, IN, AL, AR, NE (and probably a few more that I'm forgetting). I've visited BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, and Nova Scotia, as well as real Mexico (not those resort places, but "backwoods").

To sum it all up: lots of computer experience, no formal education for computers - loves to travel

Edited by stryder

• 2 weeks later...

Well my real name's Tom (as you might guess from the nick :offtopic: )

I'm from Nuremberg, Germany, I go to college and study Food Chemistry. In my free time I mostly spend time with my girldriend or go out with my friends... probably i still spend too much time online as well...

I currently run an athlon system, which will be changed to pentium d next week. by the midst of feb i hope my macbp has arrived :)

Hello...I'm Shaun, 24, from Ohio. I too have been into computers and technology for quite a while... Age 7 actually -- starting with an IBM PC/XT 4.77MHz. The words bbs, pascal, quickbasic, clipper, dbase, math co processor, controller card, high density... all words that remind me of my past.

Fast forward to now, where I work for a software company that provides point of sale solutions to thousands of retailers in over 60 countries. Most likely the majority of you have had your credit card run through one of our software packages at one time or another.

I run OSx86 mainly because of my jealousy of my wife's iBook, or it could be because I like not having to install antivirus/spyware as my first app after a reinstall. Either way, between the eye candy and the stability of unix, I'm quite happy...

Cheers!

I am Antrunix and am living in France. Always crawling around with my 12 inches Asus laptop. I am fond of news about computer but I can't program. My concerns are also about ecology, ideology, history.

I love books and information. I think computers can realize a part of Herbert Marcuse's dream concerning automatic life which will permit man to escape from weightful tasks. Internet is a way to approach it. It changes everyday people power. It has increase personal control on many aspects. Unfortunately, science has widespread without enough moral values as said Rabelais, french classic author. And human kind is too divided to take advantage of the new "gobal village" foretold by Mc Luhan and made possible by the Web.

I am afraid is now too late to enjoy a life regulated by data processing machines. The reason is the planet is very dirty outside. Liberty has been given in very large part to human who acted as fools with it. And I believe that machines received a similar foolishness in the way they work so that they will, when powerful enough, become a threat for mankind instead a way of liberation. As human kind destroyed its environment, machines will destroy life one day if nothing is done. So we are all in a dream here, believing that our computer is merely our new tool as hammer or knife used to be. But the power inside it so great in particular when interconnected that associated with the reality of human nature evilness, the result is a nightmare that we, sweet dreamers, could experiment soon.

Text approved by Hal 9000, made by National Center for Supercomputing Applications at Illinois University, Urbana-Champaign. Now on a mission to Jupiter.

Read 2001: A Space Odyssey from A.C.Clarke

post-12086-1138745474_thumb.jpg

Placeholder

Hmm... Interesting. That doesn't seem very much like you...

I'm Chris and I'm a high school student in Georgia, U.S. of A. I have brown hair (my mom insists it's blond), blue eyes and am about six feet tall.

I hate everyone and have no real life. I bumble throughout my pathetic existence, making friends and then quickly losing them. I used to do good in school, but this year I'm almost failing everything. Except Band. I play the clarinet, mainly for the reason I'm too lazy to play anything else. That and the fact that my crush plays clarinet as well! :D I'm also in the school's marching band, even though pretty much all the band geeks hate me.

I like video games, but school has kept me from playing them since like December 28, I believe. I found out about Mac when I went to a camp and all my fellow campers pushed me to get the Windows boxes. I slowly walked over to a Mac, sat down and stared at the desktop for about seven minutes until someone laughed at me and told me that Safari was the Internet browser.

I am very good with computers, having used them since I was like five. My dad gave me unrestricted access to the computer and one time I permanently destroyed Win95 by changing the screen resolution. I'm considered the computer-know-it-all of the school and am frequently sent to fix one.

So, yeah... That's me.

EDIT: Oh, yeah... I forgot. My dad works for EMC2. who, if you don't know, owns VMware!

I remeber those days Unstable....I still have an old 486 Compaq laptop sitting upstairs in my closet. I think the HD is actually 300mb on mine though. I remeber squeezing Office 2000 on it, and that's pretty much all it ran :)

Hey !

My name is Olivier, and I live in Switzerland.

The picture is a real on...It was at my weeding 1 year ago :)

I love computers since...12 years ago when I discovered them...In Africa! At this time, it was MS-DOS 4.X, and I used the Norton Commander, which is now ported also to OS X.

I am 3 times MCSE...NT 4, 2000 and 2003. I am also a graduate manager.

Even if I am a fervent Windows supporter, I like also to explore other systems, and I ran OS/2, several distros of Linux, BeOS, and...last but not least, Mac OS X ! I never make copy of software, always buy it. So, I am a good customer for MS ;>))

Well, the only exception was the OS X, but I already ordered and Intel box, so I fell ok with that.

Outside computers, I read many books, especially about Buddhism and spirituality in general. I am also active as a freemason on a Lodge where I made the website.

I have a lot of pleasure to share experiences with friends here, but so sad that I will never meet Metrogirl :)

All the best to everyone,

Olivier

Hiya! :thumbsdown_anim:

I'm Darktear, and yes I'm a man (the sencetive type) I live in Norway. I am a "houswife" (man'ish) and I live with my girlfriend and my son.

I have puzzled with computers the last 11-12 years, and like to work with OS X on my PC. I usually have a tab opened on the apple website just to druel over the mac's. Windows is still my main OS, but sometime this year, an iMac will be my window to the web :angry:

I love reading this forum, though I'm not an frequent poster, you can usually find me reading and moving around here a couple of times a day. Thank you for giving me something to read about :angry: think about :angry: and sometimes to laugh about :angry:

My hobbies are: cooking, reading, wasting time on the computer, playing WoW, and doing stuff with my girlfriend & son. I also spend too much time online....

Darktear as a nick just came into my mind, after abandoning my long used lover_toyboy nick :angry:

I remeber those days Unstable....I still have an old 486 Compaq laptop sitting upstairs in my closet. I think the HD is actually 300mb on mine though. I remeber squeezing Office 2000 on it, and that's pretty much all it ran :D

but no matter what i still remember, those boxes were rock solid, no crashes, downtime, noisy fans. simplicity and hardware that delivered. some times i miss my 486. Even though i had to keep switching between Win 95 and Win 3.1. Coz 32 MB RAM just wasnt enuf for 95...............heh that reminds of Bills famous 640k line. That also reminds of days of God of thunder and Death Rally(One of the best games ever)

• 2 weeks later...

hey - cool thread, nice to find out a bit more about the scene members.

im 27, live in Scotland with my wife-to-be, work as a Software Engineer and am about to become a father for the first time (due in less than two weeks!)

been into computing since i was very young (older brothers who had ZX81s, Spectrums etc), my gaming and programming route went ZX81 -> Spectrum -> Amiga 500+ -> Amiga 1200 -> PowerPC Amiga -> PowerMac -> SGI Indy (IRIX) -> Windows -> Mac OS X

my work is mostly Delphi, C/C++, Java on Win32 (unfortunately)

i'm also totally into photography (iPhoto is the reason I got back into the mac scene), guitar (tho not so much these days) and reading.

i own a powerbook g4 1.33Ghz 12'' and a new hackintosh (Pentium D 920, i945-based, X1800XL graphics, named Zaphod).

greets to all.

PS for anyone who doesnt recognise the great man, i'm a huge Bill Hicks fan.... :gun:

hi, my name is Ralf, i'm from Germany

i sold my Harley Davidson at 1995 and bought my first PC

my dream was to make music with it

so after many years of learning, my dream came thru. :)

my new dream is to get a working logic audio on a normal PC

a few weeks ago i found some information about OSx86

and i started search around and found this forum.

i'm not so familiar with the hole stuff here

maybee there is another German who can give me a hand :P

hey - cool thread, nice to find out a bit more about the scene members.

im 27, live in Scotland with my wife-to-be, work as a Software Engineer and am about to become a father for the first time (due in less than two weeks!)

been into computing since i was very young (older brothers who had ZX81s, Spectrums etc), my gaming and programming route went ZX81 -> Spectrum -> Amiga 500+ -> Amiga 1200 -> PowerPC Amiga -> PowerMac -> SGI Indy (IRIX) -> Windows -> Mac OS X

my work is mostly Delphi, C/C++, Java on Win32 (unfortunately)

i'm also totally into photography (iPhoto is the reason I got back into the mac scene), guitar (tho not so much these days) and reading.

i own a powerbook g4 1.33Ghz 12'' and a new hackintosh (Pentium D 920, i945-based, X1800XL graphics, named Zaphod).

greets to all.

PS for anyone who doesnt recognise the great man, i'm a huge Bill Hicks fan.... :)

Hey thats how I chose my handle, and I didn't even have the 16k expansion pack.

I'm from alba too, left a good few years ago, somewhere in north america (for apple legal!)

Bill played perth once but I was too stoned to attend (typical scottish student). Then he upped and died on us, tragic waste. Wasnt he the funniest comedian of his time. Get some sleep with prior to the wee one arriving, first few weeks are manic, lots of fun though, cannae beat it. Cheers!

Well You can guess from the Name, I am a former US Marine, ended my services with the US Government in 1997. I have a wonderful wife, and 3 children, ages 8, 6, and 2 on friday.

I have been a network engineer since 1993, started way back when Banyan Vines was actually a NOS.

I have supported networks in companys such as, GTE, LSG Sky Chefs, American Airlines, and currently working for the 5th Largest US ISP.

I have supported evey microsoft product from the days of Microsoft Windows 3.1 all the way to Windows 2003 (and I am working on Vista now too)

I have been through, traveled to about as many places as I wanna go (or atleast go to solo)

And I am probably one of the oldest people on this board as well. :angry:

As for what I really believe:

There is just one rule in life: Live life by the seat of your pants, if you don't then you are gaurnteed to miss something. (and yes I can even live by that rule with 3 kids)

I'm dubbed "cable box" *thanks to one of my coworkers*

I'm 22, started with a 386-20mhz and 2mb of ram, 40mb hdd

GOD how things have changed... $1 per megabyte to less than $1 per gigabyte

New to all the Mac-tel stuff, having a blast playing with codename "Version 3" (just upgraded from "Version 1" tonight)... guess I missed out on "Version .8" (Maxxuss, you kick :censored2: just wanted you to know...

Now, I'm on a 1.6Ghz P4, 1gb 266mhz DDR, 200 and 80gb harddisks, NEC 1100A (upgraded to 1300A, thanks Herrie's Firmware page!), Geforce 440mx 64mb running windows craXP, SUSE 10, and yours truly "Version 3"

Trying to go from :) to :) here, and I dunno where to start. Wish I could be helpful.

Anyone that'd be willing to send me an instant message and lend me a hand would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys

Cable box

AIM: Bludacrisrs