The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

Well let us know if you get VGA working because thats one thing holding me back from using osx so much, I use my laptop on a 19" most of the time, so being reduced to the 12" screen for osx isn't fun. lol.

Here i Made my Own guide to OSX86 on M1210 with 7400 go

should come out with perfect results

tell me what you guys think

I'm interested in seeing the guide, but you need to seed it, its dead in the water....

should be seeding now

i was looking into setting up dual monitor for the tutorial i made and i still am trying to figure it out. I just started using mac for the first time this week so i'm still a bit of a newb but fast learner. I need to find the Id of my 7400 and you said it was in system profiler which i found but i'm not sure where to look from there. any help seadonkey?

Also anyone have any idea how to get scrolling to wrok on the trackpad? LIke in windows when you hit the side of the trackpad?

This is the guide in the zip. I also have the files so you don't have to worry about extracting them or finding them.

For Dell M1210 with 7400 Go graphics card

will dual boot with windows if done as my guide says without having to delete it.

Disable Dual Core in Bios

Launch Ubuntu CD

http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/releases/wa...w/live-i386.iso

shrink your windows partition by however much space you think you need for OSX

Create Fat 32 Partition at end of drive for OSX

Run OSX 10.4.8 DVD (must be the exact ISO below)

http://isohunt.com/download/16021740/JaS.1....Intel.Only.iso

after DVD finishes loading create Mac Journaled Partition with Disk Utility over the fat32 partition

in customize options select Combo Patch, SEE3 Patches, Sigmatel 9220 Patch

go to system/library/extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/contents/plugins and drag AppleBCM440xEthernet.kext in there and replace

go to /system/library/systemconfiguration

drag powermanagement.bundle to that folder

*skip below if you don't have go 7400 on your own with GMA

copy contents in nvkexts_titan to system/library/extensions/

Copy Titan.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

Double click Colonel System Profiler Patch.pkg and install

double click applehdapatcher_v1.12.zip then drag sigmatel9221.txt to the frog and install

click the apple, go to system preferences, keyboard and mouse, modifier keys

switch the control and command

then go to trackpad and check clicking

Open terminal

sudo -s

*give password*

cd /system/library/extensions

rm extensions.mkext extensions.kextcache

chown -r root:wheel *.kext

kextcache -k /system/library/extensions

exit

sudo -s

* may need to copy and paste these commands

* you should get an error

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext

exit

sudo -s

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

* make the list look like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>timeout</key>

<string>20</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1 platform=x86pc fsb=166</string>

<string></string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

exit terminal

delete extensions.kextcache and extensions.mkext from /system/library

Go to applications > Disk Utility > select your volume and repair permissions. Quit and reboot.

re enable dual core in bios

press F8 to launch windows

to get wireless internet to work buy a dell 1390 or 1490 card off ebay.

There is one thing you guys may notice thats weird about my guide. how you install the titan I just dragged over the files. I didn't have to tweak or mess with it at all. I dunno why it worked and i dunno if it just works for me. but it worked 2 times for me from a fresh install. so let me know if it works for you guys as well.

about shrinking your windows partition using Ubuntu live cd: I usually have problems with this, so you may want to mention that you need to defragment your harddrive before hand. For me, this involves deleting pagefile.sys, and running contig.exe. Just a little tip that has helped me out quite a bit. Any word on solutions for Dual Displays yet?

Reason I use Ubuntu is I've had much more success with it. I have lost my hard drive 2 times cause of partition magic 8. ubuntu seems to work really well and safer. I will add defragment tip good idea. there have been times it couldn't move it as much as I want because it wasn't defraged.

Well it seems like the same guide pretty much at the start of this thread, just condensed down some. Nothing really new in it though. Not trying to knock your guide, but you wanted comments and adding a text file to a guide-thread that's already 3 months old, its not exactly new stuff.

I used Acronis Disk Director Suite to do my shrinking and as my boot selector. If you're using vista, you can use the disc manger to shrink partitions as well without using linux which as you said, doesn't take into account defragging and such. I also used a different iso as well and all works fine.

Thats true it is about 70 % from this thread. but using this thread somethings didn't work. you had to read the whole forum for some things. i had to outsource to other threads to fix some problems. My points was simply to make it really simple. fast. and everything you need right there in the rar file. rather then searchign all over the net and extracting it. So i guess what feedback i was really wanting is things I should add to the guide and if anyone got any errors out of it or something not work. so i can perfect it and add more goodies.

So i bought a 1490 card and it arrived today. popped it in and it was detected by mac. but i can't find any networks. or at least i don't know how to connect to them. I'm new to mac so maybe i'm doing something wrong but i can't figure out how to get it to connect to my router. It's not showing it or anything.

On "your" guide, no offense, but seadonkey already did most of the "running around" gathering info from the other posts. It just seems redundant to copy and paste things and then post them as a another guide in this thread that is a... guide. If you want to "improve" it, start by giving him some credit. Other than that I'd just host the zip file instead of creating a torrent, all that does is make it hard to get, and rename it something like OSx86m1210, or something else more recognizable.

9. Select the following options:

(I used Mifkis Kernel)

• 10.4.8 combo update
  • Intel SSE3 patch(do not select SSE2)
  • Sigmatel 9220 patch (We will need to download an additional patch later for sound out of the speakers)

Hi there, I ordered this week my XPS so I'm still waiting its arrival. I want to install OSX86 but I have a doubt: what do you guys mean with "Mifkis Kernel"? Is it a special version of the dvd image? I'd like to make all the procedure correct from the beginning so if you could let me know something else it would be helpful.

Thanks

Borzo from Italy

(Sorry for my crappy english)

you guys get it? any comments on my guide?

hi KingTKS. just wanted to thank you as well as the main author of the thread for your help. i followed your step by step and it worked flawlessly so far. i do not have a 1390 card but i will order one soon. i found one issue that i am not sure if i did wrong or the step was slightly incorrect, but i am going back and checking now. but the step for the ethernet controller did not work because the IONetworkingFamily.kext was not a folder that i could browse into. this may very well have been me being a moron and i will followup to let you know.

a couple questions i have.

1) is the single core/dual core issue something that is intentional by apple such that other non-apple systems do not get the benefit or is it merely an incompatibility.

2) will this osx86 project for the m1210 continue on the leopard release? if so i am very excited.

3) im curious to know what you fellow m1210ers have thought about the big four oses on your m1210: XP VISTA OSX LINUX. by installing osx are you making the switch or is osx a hobby os for you?

i am very happy with this laptop in all four environments actually and if i could install beos dano i would be even happier but no biggie. my only gripe with this laptop is it has the worst speakers i have ever encountered. i wish there was a way to crack in and replace them with a user mod but i am going off topic.

lastly, thank you all for your prolific knowledge. i cant believe that with your help im running osx on my dell!

hi KingTKS. just wanted to thank you as well as the main author of the thread for your help. i followed your step by step and it worked flawlessly so far. i do not have a 1390 card but i will order one soon. i found one issue that i am not sure if i did wrong or the step was slightly incorrect, but i am going back and checking now. but the step for the ethernet controller did not work because the IONetworkingFamily.kext was not a folder that i could browse into. this may very well have been me being a moron and i will followup to let you know.

a couple questions i have.

1) is the single core/dual core issue something that is intentional by apple such that other non-apple systems do not get the benefit or is it merely an incompatibility.

2) will this osx86 project for the m1210 continue on the leopard release? if so i am very excited.

3) im curious to know what you fellow m1210ers have thought about the big four oses on your m1210: XP VISTA OSX LINUX. by installing osx are you making the switch or is osx a hobby os for you?

i am very happy with this laptop in all four environments actually and if i could install beos dano i would be even happier but no biggie. my only gripe with this laptop is it has the worst speakers i have ever encountered. i wish there was a way to crack in and replace them with a user mo go to system/library/extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kextd but i am going off topic.

lastly, thank you all for your prolific knowledge. i cant believe that with your help im running osx on my dell!

I have an update I am going to release soon. It includes even easier instructions. i made a mistake with installing graphics card instructions and i fixed that. I added 10.4.9 update with it. last thing i need to do is get dual view working which i'm currently tring to figure out. then i'll release the update.

as far as the IONetworking thing goes sometimes you need to restart mac after you do some of the other updates first. just makes sure you go to system/library/extensions/ then right click on IONetworkingFamily.kext and select show package contents.

1) The dual core issue has nothing to do with mac. the operating system is simply not coitpatible with our specific chipset on dell XPS laptops. It would take a genious and many hours to hacks them to be compatible. and I doubt that there is someone smart enough to do that and has an XPS and interested in the OSX86 project. something we'll just have to live with but single core. It would be nice but we can't have everything.

2)it's not so much a question for the XPS more for OSX86 and all computers as a whole. I just hope Mac is still ignoring our society and isn't bothering to do anything to stop us. I'm sure it'll be possible.

3) I just have XP and Mac right now. Vista sucks and until it gets and SP1 I probably won't go to it. I'm not a fan of linux. I use mac for most everything because i just like the feel of it. and I use Windows because of compatiblity with games and emulators. Mac is for homework i guess and surfing the net. regular use. I Deleted my NTFS windows partition and made a FAT 32 so i can read and write on my windows partition from mac. I just made a shortcut to my documents in my finder on the left side so i just click and theres all my stuff in one spot on both OS's.

everything i wrote above may be {censored} but i just thought i'd give it a shot. I'm not the guy you should be thanking anyway. I "stole" everything from Seadonkey. I didn't really do anything but try to make it faster for myself. He is the genius.

I hope this forum isn't dying i havn't seen anyone write much lately. There are still a few issues on my mind anyway.

1) firewire doens't work for me

2) can't get trackpad to scroll

3) sleep

4) dual core

5) Dual view

Anyone have any comments on if any of these things are possible to fix or impossible? anyone working on any of these? I'm working on the dual view but not doing too hot.

Mmmm... Let me understand KingTKS, if I install osx86 I have to disable the double core? I understood that i have to disable it before the installation but then I can activate again, am I right? Please let me understand this because if i should use an OSX with no full power I'll not even try to install it...

correct you cannot run OSX with dual core enabled until you finish writing the commands in the terminal. its the line that says cpus=1. after you input that you can re-enable dual core in your bios

though it doesn't have dual core the OS still runs really well. it is still a powerful processor and because MAC is a superior operating system it runs well. it would be nice to have dual core yeah but it's still worth it and runs perfectly fine to me. in my opinion still way faster then Vista and comparible to XP. Though it won't run as fast as linux say.

Then I'll do this... Tiger was really fast with my old PowerBook with a 1.0ghz PowerPc cpu so with a core 2 duo with only one core should be anyway faster. I didn't get how to install mifki kernel cause i cannot download another iso because torrent is too slow because of i'm behind a nat network.

Let me know please...