The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

Try to navigate to system preferences, displays and select "detect displays."

If this doesn't work AND if , you can run the natit uninstall script by entering single user mode (restart, hit f8 before the apple screen, select osx and type -s) and entering the following:

mount -uw /
 rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext
 rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
 reboot

Sorry to hear that your installation is broken. I've always struggled with which updates to get. I've successfully installed the daylight savings update, however, I've read that the java update messed with safari. Also, I've seen patchers that allow you to update with the security updates, but without the patcher, you will damage your install. I've also been holding off on the airport update. I'll look into this and post my findings.

This link should help: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=patcher

Please let us know if you learn anything.

My install is working great now. This guide was extremely helpful. I will definetely check this link out and let you know. Thanks for the assistance.

I can't get natit working with my xps m1210 =( I've done everything but my display keeps getting set to 800x1280 in OSX. Is there anything I can do?

I'm assuming that you have the geforce 7400 and not the integrated intel card. If not, don't install natit.

Have you tried the manual natit/titan installation method (as opposed to using the universal installer)? Also, the newer JAS image has the natit installer integrated. If you install that ISO it should work, but I believe you'll have to change the kernel to from semthex's to mifki's make sound work.

i'm using the JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only iso. but yea, i'm using the geforce7400 card. can you point me to a tutorial regarding the manual natit/titan installation method. what is the newest JAS image so maybe I could just install the integrated natit installer easier. thank you so much I can't believe how fast a response I got!

i'm using the JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only iso. but yea, i'm using the geforce7400 card. can you point me to a tutorial regarding the manual natit/titan installation method. what is the newest JAS image so maybe I could just install the integrated natit installer easier. thank you so much I can't believe how fast a response I got!

Ok... to manually install natit (dual monitor support)

Download natit from here (try v0.02 first, if that doesn't work you'll have to try the v0.01)

and follow the instructions here.

Both threads should be very helpful. Please note that I personally used the universal installer and haven't yet tried the manual method, however many have sucessfully done this with the m1210.

Order it with a 1390 wireless card, or get one off of ebay, alot of us have it working just fine except for webcam and sd card reader. Technically the 3945 intel wireless is a "better" card, but the 1390 is compatible "out of the box" with osx.

ok, been a couple of days with 10.4.9

I'm still using the same iso as you deblued, just with the mifki kernal. After I got my speakers working, I decided to wait for my 1390 card in the mail. First 1390 card I got was broke, but hey, it only cost me 6 bucks. Ordered a 2nd one soon after that, they sent me a 1490 rev4 card instead of the pictured 1390. It works! :P

anyways, for what you really want to hear

Everything is pretty much the same, no webcam, no SD, sleep is still broken, no two finger scroll.

The file I listed previously has the update, and two updates, one for using the login (I don't use, so I didn't install), and another to fix file sharing with windows networks, I used this patch and it fixed my sharing.

I also did install the airport extreme update after I did my 10.4.9 update, no problems.

I'm afraid to mess with anything now, since things are working, lol

I've been trying to find out about the sleep issue, these threads seem to be the one to watch, post if any of you can figure anything out and get it working please.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=42865

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=44283

This is the forum to watch for those with the intel 3945, most people think it will be resolved in about a month.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36976

Good luck, and please let us know if you have success with 10.4.9

alf

if you're having problems finding the update, just pm me

Hi guys! First of all thank you SeaDonkey for the tremendous work.

I am a newbie at all of this so i beg for your understanding and patience

I had a couple of questions:

1) We I want to synchronize the clocks in between Windows and OsX where do i have insert fsb=166 exactly? I am not sure.

I did this <key>Kernel Flags fsb=166</key>

But i am pretty sure i got it wrong.

2) I cant get my Ethernet to work I did every step described by you. I took the Apple....kext and copied it inside the one copied from the Extensions folder and copied back in. Repaired the permission and rebooted and nothing happens. I looked up my card type and this is what Dell said in my order status: Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem, for Inspiron.

3) I got the same problem that some one had about installing Natit and having an 800x1200 resolution. I tried doing what you suggested and looked at the websites. But my computer crashed after I changed my card ID in the places where they said to change it and it crashed. Do i have the right device id ? (0x01D8). Also for some weird reason even though I selected the mifki kernel i saw that during the installation it said it was install also semthex, could this be the reason?

Thank you all of you in advance

fadinsky

Brilliant guide! I had a few quirky issues. Firstly the NANIT installer failed out and broke my installation. after a few attempts I used Titan and it seems to be good now.

Secondly I can't get it to boot into OSX. I nuked all other partitions and started from scratch with a single primary partition 10Gb for OSX, erased it correctly in the DiskUtil, but still no boot. The only way it boots is if I leave the install DVD in and wait out it's timeout.

Audio works fine, speakers play sound.

What iso's are you guys using? This plays a huge part of whether you'll get things working or not.

Over the course of getting things working, I've downloaded a total of four.

Here are my experiences:

JAS 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 - This is the one I first got. It's the one deblued and I are both using. It has natit built in, and selectable during the install. Also the install options are different than the ones listed in the guide. Everything works except sound with this, and this can be fixed by adding the mifki kernal later on, then using the HDA patcher.

JAS 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 PATCHED - This crashed right after install, I got the missing com.apple.plist error, or something like that.

JAS 10.4.8 SSE3 ONLY - This is the iso used in the guide, be sure it has the same md5 as the one seadonkey posts earlier

JAS 10.4.8 SSE3 ONLY.install.dvd - This iso's filename seems very similar to the the used in the guide, but the md5 is different, I honestly can't remember if I even used this or not, but I think it's a corrupt file if I remember correctly.

Fadinsky, on the clock issue, you add it in the same line as where you put cpu=1 os=x86(or something). So just add another space. The three entries should come one right after another. After you set the correct time in windows, then boot back to osx86, remember to turn off the auto time update in osx. Should look like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1 platform=X86PC fsb=166</string>

Also the ethernet thing can be a little tricky/confusing. I did most of the editing of the files on my windows machine, and got the files there via usb stick. You download the file from this site (renaming it helps so you don't get things mixed up or overwritten), then you get the same file from your osx install. Then you browse the "downloaded file" and find the broadcom file and "insert" it into your "original" file (the one you copied from your install). Then you put your new modified file back into your osx install. It's kind of like a little organ transplant. Now for me personally, when I try to overwrite my old file with my new "modified" file, it wouldn't seem to let me, I had to take out the original file first, then move my new one in.

username_taken,

Are you sure you deleted ALL of your partitions? I know dell puts a small beginning partition at the beginning for "media direct". I have an 80gig drive which really ends up being 75gigs. I have my partitions set up like this:

10g Ubuntu, 35g Vista, 30g OSx86. But I'm using GRUB in Ubuntu to boot, since I'm a little more familiar with it.

I hope this helps guys, don't give up

alf

Sorry I haven't posted in a while guys, I've been pretty busy with work and other projects. I've really been meaning to hop on here more. Thanks a ton to alafdog, dublued and everyone else who is providing help for everyone.

I noticed that the mods finally decided to allow editing of old posts, so I plan to do some updates to the tutorial: any suggestions or help would be appreciated (I will give credit). I plan on doing the 10.4.9 update and possibly an updates section, mentioning the ISO md5 that I used in the first post, installing a new kernel and possibly the natit/titan manual install instructions?

for fadinsky:

1) We I want to synchronize the clocks in between Windows and OsX where do i have insert fsb=166 exactly? I am not sure. I did this <key>Kernel Flags fsb=166</key>

open terminal and type:

sudo  –s

*enter password*

nano  /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

find this line:

<string>cpus=1 platform=X86PC</string>

add the fsb=166 so it looks like this (ONLY ADD THIS IF YOUR RAM IS 667MHZ):

<string>cpus=1 platform=X86PC fsb=166</string>

2) I cant get my Ethernet to work I did every step described by you. I took the Apple....kext and copied it inside the one copied from the Extensions folder and copied back in. Repaired the permission and rebooted and nothing happens. I looked up my card type and this is what Dell said in my order status: Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem, for Inspiron.

This was kind of a complicated step. The first time I did this, I didn't get it right. Be sure to carefully follow each step, eventually overwriting the original IONetworkingFamily.kext file with the modded one (which has the updated AppleBCM440xEthernet.kext.)

Be sure to back up your original and, if needed, rename files so they don't get mixed up.

3) I got the same problem that some one had about installing Natit and having an 800x1200 resolution. I tried doing what you suggested and looked at the websites. But my computer crashed after I changed my card ID in the places where they said to change it and it crashed. Do i have the right device id ? (0x01D8). Also for some weird reason even though I selected the mifki kernel i saw that during the installation it said it was install also semthex, could this be the reason?

I believe that, as previously mentioned, you probably have a different ISO than the one I wrote the guide for. My device ID is (0x01d8) which was detected by the natit universal installer. I am unsure if this will work, but worth a try.

Brilliant guide! I had a few quirky issues. Firstly the NANIT installer failed out and broke my installation. after a few attempts I used Titan and it seems to be good now.

Secondly I can't get it to boot into OSX. I nuked all other partitions and started from scratch with a single primary partition 10Gb for OSX, erased it correctly in the DiskUtil, but still no boot. The only way it boots is if I leave the install DVD in and wait out it's timeout.

Audio works fine, speakers play sound.

How exactly does it not boot? Does it give you a missing OS error, does it just go into XP? Also, what method did you use to repartition? For me, partition magic couldn't properly remove the very first tiny partition (which is either the ctrl-F11 recovery partition, or the media center one). Double check and get back to us.

Hey seadonkey,

Good to see you back. For your update, I think a couple of things you should add are:

The example of what the code should look like for fsb=166.

That the Dell 1490 card will also work in place of the 1390.

If there is anything I can do to help you, just PM me.

thanks again

alf

Thanks a ton for all of your help guys. The time and choppy sound was fixed thanks to Alfdog for your super fast reply.

What I am doing with the ethernet is that i take the kext file inside the Systems folder and copy it inside my usb key. Where before i had already unziped the kext file from the downloaded copy and renameit DOWNLOADED. After i copy the original in my usb i go to my windows machine and transfer the Apple..440 folder from the DOWNLOADED to the original. After that i go back to the mac machine and copy it. After i do that i go the terminal and run the comands and then to Repair Disk Permissions. I restart i plug my ethernet cable and nothing happens it doesnt even light up.

The iso that i have is JAS 10.4.8 SSE3 ONLY.

I was reading through other posts, does Titan work on the dell? If it does should/how do i use it?

thank all of you guys, you guys are awesome

fadinsky

How exactly does it not boot? Does it give you a missing OS error, does it just go into XP? Also, what method did you use to repartition? For me, partition magic couldn't properly remove the very first tiny partition (which is either the ctrl-F11 recovery partition, or the media center one). Double check and get back to us.

Yeah I get a missing OS error, or if dual booting from vista I get a chain0 error. I used the RANDISK partition tool on the UBCD and wiped every partition, then created a single 10Gb partition and used the diskutil in the OSX boot disk to erase it to the Mac extended filesystem.

For those having problems with NATIT the TITAN works fine with the 1210. I just followed the instructions here :

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Titan

2. Copy Titan.kext to /System/Library/Extensions and authenticate with your password

3. Open up Terminal and type the following:

• sudo -s (enter password)

set permissions:

• chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext
  • chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Titan.kext

4.Exit Terminal

5. From /System/Library/ delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

6. Restart the computer.

Yeah I get a missing OS error, or if dual booting from vista I get a chain0 error. I used the RANDISK partition tool on the UBCD and wiped every partition, then created a single 10Gb partition and used the diskutil in the OSX boot disk to erase it to the Mac extended filesystem.

If you are seeing the missing OS error, the wrong partition might be active. Do you have XP installed yet? If so, set the partition active and use the chain0 method. If not, I'd just use the XP installer to create your partitions, osx must be installed on a PRIMARY (not logical) partition.

Please give more specifics on exactly how your partition table is set up.

Current Partitioning :

Disk 0

Partition 1 - 60 Gb NTFS ( Vista )

Partition 2 - 30 Gb HFS+ ( OSX )

Partition 3 - 2 Gb Linux Swap

Partition 4 - 20 Gb ext3 ( Ubuntu )

all partitions are primary partitions.

currently Ubuntu is the active partition, but OSX doesn't boot even when set to active.

I nuked it all down yesterday to a single OSX partition set to active, and I still got the missing OS error.

Using Vista with the chain0 boot errors out with a chain0 error too.