Coming Soon: Install Guide for x200 users

mchouin

158 posts in this topic

I was using Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack and I had a few problems with it (such as installers wouldn't open) and before that, I used Jas 10.4.6 with PPF1. I personally liked 10.4.6 better but I still had problems with it, such as a loud fan and a lot of work had to be done after installing it. Right now I am getting Jas 10.4.8 with v1p and Deviant Disk Utility Patches attached since errandwolfe told me that it works best with the x200 chipset.

Well, the downloading has finally finished and I've installed OS X. I was disappointed to find that the wireless and sound didn't work and that I had to delete AppleGenericPCATA.kext from IOATAFamily.kext and IOUSBFamily.kext from the extensions folder to get the system to boot. Other than that, OS X seems to be running fine. As soon as I fix the sound and wireless, I will start the tutorial. I wish there was a way to fix the fan speed too; it's just so damn loud on my computer.

Regarding Mchouin's post just above this. I find it all very odd. He downloaded the exact same distro as I did but had dramatically different results. Where Mc had to use VMWare to install I was able to go straight native. This was one of the main reasons I recommended this distro to Mc. The oddest thing is not only was I able to do a native install, but also my sound worked out of the box. The only things I had to tweak was installing Callisto for video and the IO80211PCI kext for wireless.

Thank you for soon making a guide for this! I have been trying to install OSx86 on this PC for almost a year! (I started in March 2006) I tryed first native in March, it didn't work, I tryed again in August with vmware (which I had become experienced with), didn't work, then I got further in November by actually looking on the forums and the wiki but still had a "Still Waiting for root device" problem, last week I figured I'll give it my last hardest try and maybe it will work and if not I'll save up and go to ebay, This time I also threw away , scratched up 10.4.5 DVD and downloaded 10.4.8, I got alot further everything worked, except it seems not to load a display or anything past (I found this out when I did -v) login window.app, The really strange part is I hear Music! It sounds like the music from when you first install OS X and you have to do the wizard, and when I press keys on the keyboard I hear sounds so I know it's working. So I went back to the forums and looked for info and found Callisto drivers which aren't working... I can't find the exact one that works with x200. Does anyone know if there is a quick fix for this or do I have to wait for the guide :whistle: , I would rather run OS X on my current PC which is fast and ok for me other than buying a mac on ebay that would not be good at all. :(

Errand, does your sound tend to "snap" when a sound is played, like say someone comes online when using iChat. My speakers (same laptop as you) make a a snap sound then the sound is played. I also notice that the mute button lights up and shuts off when it does this.

The video works fine it just needs the help of katana the get a widescreen res.

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but my sound snaps in those instances. And for your video problems, try Callisto 003 fixed. Katana doesn't work on my laptop for some reason. The last time I installed it, OS X wouldn't boot up and it would tell me to restart.

Also, just an update:

- I got the wireless and video to work properly

- Power Management isn't working

- AppleAC97Audio with power saving doesn't work (about to try without power saving)

- The fan is unbelievably annoying since it is running at full speed under OS X

Once I get power management and audio to work, I will finish my install guide.

Edited by mchouin

Errand, does your sound tend to "snap" when a sound is played, like say someone comes online when using iChat. My speakers (same laptop as you) make a a snap sound then the sound is played. I also notice that the mute button lights up and shuts off when it does this.

The video works fine it just needs the help of katana the get a widescreen res.

Not really sure what you mean by "snap". I have not noticed any oddities in my audio quality though.

One thing both you and Mchouin and anyone else who has not installed OS X yet may want to do is update your BIOS. That may be one of the reasons Mchouin is having such problems with the distro where it installed with ease on my V5101 Compaq.

this might be my problem all along, I have an ATI Raedon Xpress 200M in my Toshiba Satellite M115,

However will this download/ as well as the Tutorial apply only to AMD or Intel as well (since i have Celeron M)

If it works with Intel, it should work on Celeron M, because a Celeron M is an Intel processor.

However, the biggest issue (IMHO) is that the Toshiba Satellite has an IDE DVD on the Master, and a SATA HD. From what I gather, this is hard to get around for installing. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's been my assumption for not being able to install on any of my machines (3).

If it works with Intel, it should work on Celeron M, because a Celeron M is an Intel processor.

However, the biggest issue (IMHO) is that the Toshiba Satellite has an IDE DVD on the Master, and a SATA HD. From what I gather, this is hard to get around for installing. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's been my assumption for not being able to install on any of my machines (3).

My laptop has an IDE HD: IDE\DISKHTS541080G9SA00

The DVD player is also a IDE

So i guess Im somewhat in a good boat. Except for the x200.

JAS 10.4.8. I have tried that driver, I get a continual "waiting for root device". The Generic PCATA kext works, the one installed by default, but without any UDMA. Is this problem unique to me?

Edited by squimmy

Hi,

In your guide you say to delete AppleGenericPCATA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions, but in my /System/Library/Extensions folder, there is no AppleGenericPCATA.kext. The only instance of that file is in /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns.

Is this normal?

Yes, and in my guide it says

delete AppleGenericPCATA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns.

If it's only in one directory then that's fine.

Edited by mchouin

God damnit, I did then and it looks as though somethings happening - lots of lines being printed to the screen but then it goes back to good old trusty 'waiting for root device'.

Would the fact that my dvd player is connected to the same cable make a difference?

I'm not sure that would make a difference. Make sure you also delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext from your /System/Library directory.

If you're using a laptop, try deleting IOUSBFamily.kext from the /System/Library/Extensions directory. OS X wouldn't load for me unless i did that.

The STPDinstall, does not give me the option of uninstalling (or updating)- It says instead that it is up-to-date?

Must it be uninstalled for OS X to work properly? If so, how can I get it to uninstall.

Secondly, MacDrive 6 says that the OSX is a read only and can not be changed. (How do I fix this- I can see the files that I need to delete, such as the generic file, however, i cannot remove, nor rename them.)

Secondly, MacDrive 6 says that the OSX is a read only and can not be changed. (How do I fix this- I can see the files that I need to delete, such as the generic file, however, i cannot remove, nor rename them.)

boot with -s, type /sbin/mount -uw /, then type reboot.