CAD software

nickg331

24 posts in this topic

If you just interested in tinkering with one... any...

If you're looking to apply this kind of knowledge in a working environment, don't waste your time learning a program you won't use in the field. Having said that, an "educational" license of Solidworks would be my first recommendation for any novice after that, preference falls into play.

this is assuming dual boot...

(I've been working as a consultant Mechanical Engineer for nearly a decade specializing in precision electro-mechanics primarily in manufacturing development. I hold certifications for most major 3d platforms including Solidworks, Pro/E, Unigraphics, Inventor, and Catia with most of the focus on the first three)

Doesn't quite answer your question, but I hope it's helpful.

3DS Max owns Autocad! But then again, they're made by the same company: Autodesk. Autodesk products have always been second favourite, second only to Adobe.

Of course, it all depends on what you do. If you are modeling stuff like cars, I suggest 3DS Max. For buildings or landscape, AutoCAD works better. If you're using NURBS, Rhino does the job.

If you want freeware, ZModeler supports basic polygonal modeling.

^^ all these are for windows, by the way.

i do graphic tech at my school ( which is technical drawing with a cad component)

and we learn on pro/desktop 8.0 its a lot easier to use than auto cad...sadly its not freeware although i guess you could find it in the right places

i think pro/engineer also has a similar design concept that pro/desktop has; like UI and stuff. if i remember right pro/desktop it meant for educational use to introduce students so it would be a good starting point for you

you could give that a try if you can get your hands on it

I use autocad, mechanical desktop and inventor. (by "use" I mean "am learning at university")

I like Inventor a lot for 3d, but it's meant for technical use (I study industrial design) So if you want to make funny looking aliens or so I think you'd have to go for 3dsmax (which I don't really know, I only sometimes use it for rendering)

Sketchup is really cool in fact to do some basic legostyle stuff. I use it too if I want to make something easy really fast..

If you are a student (you need a univesity emailadress) you download inventor and 3dsmax educational (which is a full version) for free at https://students.autodesk.com )

(those are windows software)

• 1 month later...
AutoCAD ftw. :(

OMG YES!

I have found autocad to be one of the best CAD programs out there. Ive used Inventor, Solidworks, VectorWorks, and Archicad, and for my needs AutoCAD is the best. Im doing alot of CAM MIlling and Turning in our school lab and use SpectraCAM Milling and Turning and AutoCAd works perfectly for those 2 applications. And when doing drafting, i find AutoCAD to work for me best, especially when it come to 2D. For 3D, go with solidworks. Its much more suited to 3D. Archicad is good, but i didnt like the interface and was not as effecient for my needs.

At home though, I use a combination of modo, carrara and sketchup for the design process, bryce for processing and coloring, and use Artlantis to render. (Although i think my newly aquired mod can handle all three.)

• 2 weeks later...

Surely you mean Cinema4d ;)

I've heard good things about ArchiCad and DenebaCAD. I heard ArchiCad is super good for architecture. Also if you want to do 3d modeling and don't want to pirate or pay a lot of money, there is a very powerful free 3d modeler, called blender (Blender)

Good luck :)

Autocad, Inventor, and Turbocad...FOR THE LOOSE!

Studiotools, Solidworks, and Catia, FOR THE ULTIMATE MEGA WIN!

Especially studiotools/aliasstudio for modelling, you can now stick a displacement map onto a NURBS surface, and convert the displaced object to a mesh, who doesn't love insanely high poly counts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When we're using the term "CAD" here, what are we refering to?

Computer Aided Drafting?

Only reason I ask is because this is the first I've seen non-parametric "modelers" thrown in the mix... The last I checked, they only did renderings???

Guest Ramm

Actually, CAD stands for Computer Aided Design. Perhaps you were thining of CADD - Computer Aided Design & Drafting?