Leopard as soon as March

Fizzeh

48 posts in this topic

Its going to be an AIO (x64 and x86 in one package, like PPC binaries and Intel, ahh Mach kernel rocks), and will be released in June at WWDC.

Why do you think the moved wwdc up to June?

I don't know, its a Universal Binary I would say. The Frameworks (Carbon and Cocoa) have been compiled as one universal binary that is dynamic I believe by running when it detects the appropriate instruction set, whether its PPC 32-Bit, PPC 64-Bit, Intel x86 or Intel EM64T.

I could be wrong. Just saying its an AIO would mean there are 4 versions of Leopard:

Leopard for PPC 64-Bit

Leopard for PPC 32-Bit

Leopard for x86

Leopard for EM64T

I am sure a Dual Layer DVD can only hold 8 GBs worth of data. 4 x 4 = 16 which means, Leopard would have to come on at least 2 dual layer DVDs which just not sound like something I think they want to do. Its an amazing feat they have accomplished to get it working so smoothly on so many architectures.

Where the hell do you people get this information?

Leopard runs on EVERYTHING, G3 unofficially, G4 no problems, G5 no problems, Intel 32-bit and Intel 64-bit just fine.

Quit spouting off mindless garbage that you know nothing about!

The applications use Fat Binaries, ones that have extra code added to them to allow them to run natively under multiple architectures. The big thing in programs are the Resource Files, the ones that give you your UI, your icons, and all that other stuff.

While it is actually an "All In One", it does not have multiple versions of the same files on the disc. It is one OS that runs everywhere and you can swap between architectures with no issues.

Edited by projectle

Where the hell do you people get this information?

Leopard runs on EVERYTHING, G3 unofficially, G4 no problems, G5 no problems, Intel 32-bit and Intel 64-bit just fine.

Quit spouting off mindless garbage that you know nothing about!

Thank you for saying what I was thinking ;-)

JaS has already retired, in case you have been updated with the news.

Leopard is supposed to be x64 only, wonder if they are going to crack is so badly that it runs on the 32bit x86 systems as well.

About getting leopard by late march, it has been experience that Apple doesn't delay its products as much as Microsoft, so it is highly improbable that leopard will be behind schedule. Therefore, it is only reasonable to expect that it will be here by spring.

That's strange, because the PowerPC would be 32 bit for only the G4, but the G5 and Intel Core chips are all 64-bit. Strange... Cause Tiger x86 is 32-bit as of now except the Mac Pros. Fortunately, I have EM64T, for those without, this may be the end of the road, as there's no way to "patch" this, as all the code is 64-bit.

That's strange, because the PowerPC would be 32 bit for only the G4, but the G5 and Intel Core chips are all 64-bit. Strange... Cause Tiger x86 is 32-bit as of now except the Mac Pros. Fortunately, I have EM64T, for those without, this may be the end of the road, as there's no way to "patch" this, as all the code is 64-bit.

shall I open up my Macbook and ask the godamn Core Duo if its 64-bit or would you like to use Google and edit your post accordingly?

The applications use Fat Binaries, ones that have extra code added to them to allow them to run natively under multiple architectures. The big thing in programs are the Resource Files, the ones that give you your UI, your icons, and all that other stuff.

While it is actually an "All In One", it does not have multiple versions of the same files on the disc. It is one OS that runs everywhere and you can swap between architectures with no issues.

Fat Binaries, thats the word I was looking for. Perfect answer. :D

Why would is ship as two DL-DVDs...right now the UB is about 5.5 gigs...and fits on a DL-DVD

Mistake, projectle corrected with the FAT binaries answer.

I think it will be shipped with multiple DVD if needed (one for the OS and another one for the softwares) because not all macs support DL DVD.

But even my Macbook Pro CoreDuo, which only has a single layer superdrive, can read DL DVD disks.

BTW: in regards to other posts, the processor in it is a 32 bit processor.

Edited by Bearcat

But even my Macbook Pro CoreDuo, which only has a single layer superdrive, can read DL DVD disks.

BTW: in regards to other posts, the processor in it is a 32 bit processor.

really? its 32bit? i thought for sure core was 86-64 arch. (AMD64) and yea, theyd probably make it dvd dl, but some older macs that would support it dont have dvd-dl, so there may be a cd version too.

really? its 32bit? i thought for sure core was 86-64 arch. (AMD64) and yea, theyd probably make it dvd dl, but some older macs that would support it dont have dvd-dl, so there may be a cd version too.

As Adrian has nicely put it.

Any machine with at least a combo drive or dvd-rom will be able to read DL-DVDs. Only DL burners can create them.

All CoreDuo machines (Mac mini, Macbook 1st gen, Macbook pro 1st gen, iMac CoreDuo 1st gen) are all 32 bit machines. (all with G wireless in them).

All Core2Duo machines (iMac 2nd Gen and 24", Macbook 2gn Gen, Macbook pro 2ng gen) released last fall are 64 bit machines. (all with N wireless in them).

All Mac Pros (Xeon Woodcrest) machines are 64 bit.

Hope that helps

Edited by Bearcat

As Adrian has nicely put it.

Any machine with at least a combo drive or dvd-rom will be able to read DL-DVDs. Only DL burners can create them.

All CoreDuo machines (Mac mini, Macbook 1st gen, Macbook pro 1st gen, iMac CoreDuo 1st gen) are all 32 bit machines. (all with G wireless in them).

All Core2Duo machines (iMac 2nd Gen and 24", Macbook 2gn Gen, Macbook pro 2ng gen) released last fall are 64 bit machines. (all with N wireless in them).

All Mac Pros (Xeon Woodcrest) machines are 64 bit.

Hope that helps

oh yea, i forgot about the core vs core2, thanks for clarifying it for me :(