The Asus P5LD2-VM How-To Guide

DiaboliK

243 posts in this topic

What install are you using? any installs other than the Jas 10.4.8 SSe3 Intel only Iso and the newest JaS 10.4.8 Amd/Intel SSe2/SSe3 v2 Iso work.

a couple of the 10.4.8 installs dont have the legacy usb support.

when i get home ill upload the IOUSBFamily.kext for ya.

Here ya go : IOUSBFamily.kext.zip

Heres how to install it:

drag and drop into /System/Library/Extensions/

Authenticate and replace when asked.

open terminal and enter the following:

sudo -s
your password
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
diskutil repairPermissions /

now reboot and see if it works.

Dear DiaboliK,

How can I revert this script, it don´t work for me.

THXS

Dear DiaboliK,

How can I revert this script, it don´t work for me.

THXS

What's a reputable place to order one of these from, newegg is out of stock and I tried to order it from a xpcgear and they actually shipped me a substitute board without asking if it was ok. Don't really like ebay or small shops, reliability being an issue.

Being experimenting with different distro's i have some observations to make:

1. Sleep is working without any patches only on 10.4.6

2. Whenever i choose to install Mifki kernel (for test) from any of the various 10.4.8 images, i end up after finished installation, in continuous reboots.

If i choose Semthex, it works fine.

3. My main Goal is to work as good as possible with Final Cut Studio Apps, so i tested FCP and iMovie for DV Capture via Firewire.

Now the questions on this:

1. Whenever i import a DV avi file into iMovie, the screen gets distorted (preview fills all the screen) and i must move some window all through the desktop to redraw the correct menus.

2. When i capture from Firewire in FCP, preview during capture is very very slow (like wrong frame rate), but actual capture is correct!

I've never seen a Real Mac how it behaves on this, but on either Edius and Premiere on XP the preview (during capture), is excellent.

Can anyone confirm on the above?

Regards

EDIT: I just replaced my Lite-On DVD-RW drive with a (more compatible) Pioneer DVR-111D, and now, (i have tried 3 different images), after installation, i get Kernel Panic (You need to restart your computer).

I don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't changed anything else.

Edited by kle500

Furthermore, i changed back to LITE-ON dvd-rw and tried again to install Latest 10.4.8.

After install, i also get a Kernel Panic. What the hell?

Can you people tell me how, you format your HDD in order to test another image?

I use to boot into my XP HDD and from there, i choose manage and delete partition and make quick format.

Is there any possibility that some files have been left beind on my Osx86 HD, and cause the Kernel Panic?

Right now, i do a Full Format (1 hour to complete), to see what's happening.

Any hint's out there?

Regards

UPDATE: The Kernel Panic was totally my fault.

I wasn't choosing Intel SS3 in custom install, that's why i had the Kernel Panic.

Edited by kle500

What's a reputable place to order one of these from, newegg is out of stock and I tried to order it from a xpcgear and they actually shipped me a substitute board without asking if it was ok. Don't really like ebay or small shops, reliability being an issue.

I've got a new one from Newegg that I have never used. The thing was that I bought an oem from Newegg and thought it was damaged as nothing on the secondary ITE was recognized and ended up buying another one. Then before I got it from new egg I found this thread and then there was no need for the second one. I will sell it to you for a discount prize, let me know if interested.

So how similar is the P5LD2-VM to the P5L-VM 1394, will this how to be applicable?

all the same but the Attansic L1 Gb Lan dosent work at the moment (DaemonES is working on a driver)

and i think the Sound is ALC883 instead of ALC882 (skippyretard has a working fix for ALC883, also taruga is working on his ALC8XX patcher)

other than that you also have Firewire with that board. if it wasnt for the Gb Lan not working at the moment it would be my board of choice.

-DiaboliK

its tops on my hackintosh plan atm, along with a cheap 10/100 card. I also like that it's a Micro board, not too crazy about a supertower.

COOLER MASTER Centurion MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D 120mm Case Fan

COOLER MASTER SAF-S84-E1 80mm Case Fan [x2]

KINGWIN Alpha Power AP-350 ATX12V 350W Power Supply

ASUS P5L-VM 1394 LGA 775 Intel 945G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400

Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 [x2]

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA

ENCORE ENL832-TX-RENT 10/100Mbps PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Being experimenting with different distro's i have some observations to make:

2. Whenever i choose to install Mifki kernel (for test) from any of the various 10.4.8 images, i end up after finished installation, in continuous reboots.

If i choose Semthex, it works fine.

Sounds like you forgot to enable NX in BIOS.

Sounds like you forgot to enable NX in BIOS.

Although i am not sure what you mean NX in bios, i am using the Latest Jas image right now, with many apps installed for testing.

Also installed all software updates succesfully.

I have some observations though and i need some help here.

Last night i was testing Photoshop CS3, and Garageband.

They work ok, but:

1) In CS3, the redraw of some test files i have, (made them in CS2 in XP) is slower than on the XP, also if i grab the picture with the hand tool and move the picture quickly (left-right-up-down) in both CS3 in my 2 machines (osx86 and XP), in XP the redraw is snappy, but not as snappy in OsX.

In XP i use an 965 Intel board using the onboard X3000, and in OsX the onboard GMA950 of the P5LD2-VM.

I am not so happy with that, as i believe a real iMac will do much better.

2) In garageband, which works ok, if i start dragging loops in timeline, i get sluggish, instant pauses.

And in case i have some loops playing (in loop mode), and try to listen some other loops in realtime, system gets sluggish, and as i drag new loops in timeline, the more sluggish it comes.

Is this happening in real macs too?

BTW, my audio is working via AppleHDA 0.4b installer

My machines are allmost the same.

Anyone has same symptoms?

Regards

Edited by kle500

Did a fresh install with the mentioned image from our friend "Diabolik" and without changing or updating anything....

My system info shows 3.8g (using E6400 no o/c), before changing AppleSMBIOS.kext

I get much lower Xbench results than i had with the Latest Jas image.

CPU=100

But...

if i update the AppleSMBIOS.kext as mentioned in the tutorial, now info shows 1,6g

and the Xbench results are even lower.

CPU=83.65

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought this mobo, in a week i'll have it. Also i'm going to buy an e6400 and a 1GB ram stick.

As I see, the same configuration as kle500.

By the way, kle500, how is it working your machine?

I'll post results, Byeeee ;)

Edited by zztopzz

Although i am not sure what you mean NX in bios, i am using the Latest Jas image right now, with many apps installed for testing.

IN YOUR BIOS ->

CPU Configuration - Microcode Updation -ENABLED

- Max CPUID Value Limit - DISABLED

- Execute Disable Function - ENABLED

If you are working with an early kernel or mifki/DaemonES tree you need to have Execute Disable Bit (NX) enabled, late semthex kernels have a hack to ignore it. I try to use kernels as close to stock as possible. But it's purely personal preference.

1) In CS3, the redraw of some test files i have, (made them in CS2 in XP) is slower than on the XP, also if i grab the picture with the hand tool and move the picture quickly (left-right-up-down) in both CS3 in my 2 machines (osx86 and XP), in XP the redraw is snappy, but not as snappy in OsX.

In XP i use an 965 Intel board using the onboard X3000, and in OsX the onboard GMA950 of the P5LD2-VM.

I am not so happy with that, as i believe a real iMac will do much better.

CS3 is still beta afaik, it might not be optimised as much as a full release. GMA950 is a slug -get a real video card. It works fine on GFs MacBook & my Hacky

2) In garageband, which works ok, if i start dragging loops in timeline, i get sluggish, instant pauses.

And in case i have some loops playing (in loop mode), and try to listen some other loops in realtime, system gets sluggish, and as i drag new loops in timeline, the more sluggish it comes.

Is this happening in real macs too?

It shouldn't unless you are on an old mac... Are you sure you didn't install an old version of GB and are running it in rosetta?

Edited by consolation

CS3 is till beta afaik, it might not be optimised as much as a full release. GMA950 is a slug -get a real video card. It works fine on GFs MacBook & my Hacky

this is what i always say to people. cs3 still only beta.

i still run ps cs2 without any of speed problems or anything. and i need my bmp support! (which cs3 doesnt have)

sure it runs as fast as a dual 2ghz ppc machine in rosetta so i dont mind at all :D

-DiaboliK

"CS3 is till beta afaik, it might not be optimised as much as a full release. GMA950 is a slug -get a real video card. It works fine on GFs MacBook & my Hacky" end Quote

I know this is the popular mind set reguarding the Intel 950 graphics. I was shocked by just how well the 950 Graphics on my Asus P5L-MX works! The X-bench scores for Quartz Extreme and Open GL are 3 x that of a 6200 PCI-E card! Yes that isn't a high end card but still I say give the Intel graphics a try you maybe surprised.It also has the advantage of working out of the box so if your not a gamer why not try it? it is now clear to me why Apple used Intel Graphics in the Mac Mini as they are way better then popular opinion had led me to believe. I for one am not buying a Video card for my machine. It's great the way it is. I did buy an Add 2 DVI card which lets me use a DVI LCD monitor.

Edited by Schwinn555

The X-bench scores for Quartz Extreme and Open GL are 3 x that of a 6200 PCI-E card!

X-bench is a freaking joke, you might as well use chicken entrails to measure performance; use OpenMark and run the benchmark option to get a realistic measure of performance. The 6200 is a very {censored} card, the early ones with NV43 cores (cut down 6600) were respectable, but the new ones with nv44/44A cores are pure excrement. Comparing the 950 to 6200 is like trying to decide which turd is less smelly, sorry.

Edited by consolation

Wow well I guess that post speaks for it's self ;-) You might want to wipe the foam from your mouth . It tends to scare people. Open minded people may just want to see for themselves. I'm sure not saying the 950 is top end graphics but that it's better then many people seem to think. I've often spent more money on extras listening to the "experts" then I really needed to.

If you are working with an early kernel or mifki/DaemonES tree you need to have Execute Disable Bit (NX) enabled, late semthex kernels have a hack to ignore it. I try to use kernels as close to stock as possible. But it's purely personal preference.

CS3 is still beta afaik, it might not be optimised as much as a full release. GMA950 is a slug -get a real video card. It works fine on GFs MacBook & my Hacky

It shouldn't unless you are on an old mac... Are you sure you didn't install an old version of GB and are running it in rosetta?

I am not sure what's the difference between these kernels (semthex, mifki), but till i find out, i am gonna stick with the most used one.

Maybe you are right on the CS3 beta, although i mentioned that i tested the same CS3 beta on the same machine with the same GMA950, 1 HDD with XP and one with OSX86, and there was difference between them. XP was really fast in redraw.

Anyway, i am gonna buy a 7600 GS or GT fanless and i hope to see a some difference.

As for Garageband, i have installed the iLife06, so i assume it's the latest.

But the term sluggish, is different for everyone, so maybe i ask too much.

i will test more on that and i will repost exactly my observations.

Regards

i'd like to jump in on the 950 bashing for a second.

i for one like the 950 i'm running a 2.13dual2 processor with 2gigs of ram and the video works great. i have yet to see any problems with it. if there is a card that works better under say $200 i would buy it but i'm not sure there is one at this time.

DiaboliK, do you think there is a better card i could go with. i think you even said that my bench test faired better then yours in the video.

i would however like to go to dual monitor and didn't know if i should go with the add2 route or complete dual card route.

btw:mad props for DiaboliK, my machine rocks thanks to him.