The Asus P5LD2-VM How-To Guide

DiaboliK

243 posts in this topic

I've run Jas 10.4.8, Uphuck v1.3 10.4.9, and iATKOS vi1.0r2 on my P5LD2-VM SE and never had sleep fully working (I say fully working because the system would go to sleep but display would be blank on wake up, or USB wouldn't work etc)... until now!

I'm not using the integrated GMA950 but an ATI x1950 Pro card. I use modified kexts by Bronya (which includes Natit injector).

Specifications:

P5LD2-VM SE rev2.0 Bios version 0602

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

MSI ATI x1950 Pro 256MB

2GB RAM

BIOS settings:

S3 sleep only

Repost Video on S3 Resume DISABLED

ACPI 2.0 YES

ACPI APIC Support ENABLED

Legacy USB Support DISABLED

Background:

GUID partition, PC_EFI v8.0 installed

Installed from retail 10.5.0 DVD - Follow this guide, highly recommended (what's better than plain vanilla?)

Replaced AppleSMBIOS.kext and added dsmos.kext from netkas' PC_EFI v8.0 package

Upgraded to 10.5.1

Removed AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext (stops "Package 0 didn't get an HPET" error)

Installed Bronya's 10.5.1 drivers (to give CE/QI support, rotation, resolution changes)

Patched sound using AppleHDAPatcher v1.20 by Taruga

Everything else is vanilla (kernel etc) but sleep didn't work in this configuration. System would go to sleep (fans off, power light blinking) using the menu option or power button but on wake up (by power button or USB) the display would be blank.

Installed EFI strings for :

x1950Pro - removed Natit.kext (For more information on how to do this I posted here)

ALC882 - removed ALCInject.kext

Ethernet - fixed _CFGetHostUUIDString error

Now system would wake up with power button. Initially it didn't wake up from USB, but I solved that by disabling Legacy USB support in the BIOS.

So, for full sleep I'm not sure what the exact combination of the EFI strings is (I suspect it was Natit that was the problem) but I think the BIOS settings are equally important.

Hope that helps. I've just got my system back up and running on 10.5.1 after an upgrade from Uphuck's 10.4.9 distribution. I haven't checked the threads for a while but I'll look to see whether there is a guide on installing Leopard on the P5LD2 motherboard, otherwise I might write one and attach it here or start a new thread. Would anyone be interested in that? The P5LD2 motherboard is great. Pretty much everything works out of the box except sound and that is an easy patch.

Cheers,

k

EDIT: Disabling Legacy USB in the bios solves failure for display to wake up from sleep but means that you can't boot from USB drives. I guess you can't have it all!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hellos to all!

Can any of the folk that have had successful installs using applied the wisdom of DiaboliK - big thanks for this guide (and the wisdom of all others here, mucho gracias) - post their bios version? And have any of you updated your bios since your successful install? If so, please post your latest bios too.

Thanks again DiaboliK and all the great contributers!

ED

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, since the .5.6 leopard update requires some tweaking with the DSDT, has anyone done it with this motherboard?

I'm now at .5.5 with vanilla kernel and extensions and pc_efi 8 from netkas, what should I do?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - i'm running 10.5.2 (Kalyway) at the moment on the Asus P5LD2-SE (nowhere does it say 'VM' in the name - on the box and under the little PC app CPUUD) - is the Paulicat's SMBios Fix really neccessary when running 10.5.2?

The link in the guide by Diabolik does not work (link to Megaupload which will not let you download it) - could anyone perhaps post a direct download link to 'Paulicat's SMBios Fix" on here or point us to one?

Another thing - i tried applying the "882.txt" to the AppleHDA patcher v1.16 but it did not work; i am stuck without sound.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

well, I updated to 10.5.6 following the netkas 10.5.3 method (with the script), with pcefiv9, work fast, but I lost the properly shutdown, always worked well, from tiger till leopard 10.5.5 (the HDD turn off well, but the cooler and the pwr led keep in on, so I have to push the power bottom to shutdown) ->sorry my bad english

asus P5LD2-VM

Intel Core2Duo 6300 1,86 GHZ

2 GB Ram Kingston 667

Asus EN7300GT 256

• 1 month later...
Would anyone be interested in that? The P5LD2 motherboard is great. Pretty much everything works out of the box except sound and that is an easy patch.

I'd love to read a guide. I have a p5lvm-1394 (identical except firewire/LAN) which has been rock-solid with tiger ever since I read the beginning of this thread years ago. Unfortunately, I haven't had as much luck with leopard. I have iDeneb working on it now, but the mouse and keyboard stall frequently and my ipod won't sync. Can't seem to make a retail install happen at all. Love to hear your methods.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone gotten iATKOS v7 (10.5.7) running on the p5ld2-VM SE? I have gotten through the install, but on reboot there seems to be an issue with writing to the HDD.

All input appreciated! Thanks

My setup:

MB: asus p5ld2-VM SE

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400

GPU: Geforce 8800 GT 768mb

HDD: SATA 320gb

(I used to run 10.4.3 on this setup... I think it was JAS?)

Hi I wanted to let everyone know that Leopard 10.5.8 works great on the Asus P5LD2-VM SE rev2. :rolleyes:

LAN: OOB

Display: I was using the "Graphics Mode" boot.plist option to set manually resolution. With this method everything work except changing resolutions from Leopard and the display couldn't get to sleep. Now I'm using a patched DSDT.aml so this two issues are now fixed. Both methods work without any kexts replacing or anything, it's almost OOB too.

Audio: Taruga AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 with 882.txt dump.

Kernel: Vanilla

Bootloader: Chameleron 2 RC2

Kexts on /Extra/Extensions

Disabler.kext

dsmos.kext

UUID.kext (with MAC address as UUID on info.plist)

AHCIPortInjector.kext (don't know if necesary)

ATAPortInjector.kext (don't know if necesary)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

• 5 months later...

Hi everybody.

I have the P2LD-VM with 10.5.5 using the iDeneb distro.

Does anybody succeeded with the Retail Leo 10.5.6 + boot132 method?

Although i downloaded the Generic.iso, have a USB mouse and keyboard connected and installed Retail 10.5.6, upon reboot after the Welcome space logo's i get a message screen about keyboard not connected.

"BEFORE YOU BEGIN... THERE ISN'T ANY KEYBOARD CONNECTED TO THIS COMPUTER" "PLEASE CONNECT YOUR KEYBOARD"

Keyboard is working fine and also tested another one with the same results.

Keyboard works during installation, but stop's responding before the welcome screen upon the first HDD boot

Doe's anybody have a solution on this?

Regards