The Asus P5LD2-VM How-To Guide

DiaboliK

243 posts in this topic

Alright this is MY (DiaboliK) Guide to Getting everything working in OS X on the Asus P5LD2-VM Mobo.

(P5LD2-VM SE also, thanks consolation)

Heres some Quick specs on this mobo : Core2Duo Compatible, Intel 945G Chipset, GMA950, ALC882 HD Audio, Intel GbE LAN.

Newegg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131044

Just be aware that your RED E-IDE port will not work in Mac at the moment

Enough of that, now on to the fun stuff...

But first here is what your going to need:

1. JaS.10.4.8.SSe3.Intel.only.iso (Any other 8.8.1/8.9.1 kernel install dvd works also :))

2. Taruga's ALC882 Sound Fix v0.4b

3. Paulicat's SMBios Fix (look in the Instructions for a link)

4. an 8.8.1/8.9.1 kernel of your choice (My Current Favorite is Semthex ND21)

Once you have all that you are set to start.

Begin with setting up the BIOS here are my settings-

BIOS Settings:

Main Page:
			- Legacy Diskette A - DISABLED

Advanced Page:
			- JumperFree Configuration - AUTO (unless you want to overclock)
			 - USB Configuration - USB Function - ENABLED
												 - Legacy USB Support -AUTO
													  - USB 2.0 Controller - 
													  - USB 2.0 Controller Mode -
												  - BIOS EHCI Hand-off - ENABLED
			 - CPU Configuration - Microcode Updation -ENABLED
												  - Max CPUID Value Limit -  DISABLED
										- Execute Disable Function - DISABLED (ENABLED if your going to use a kernel other than Semthexs')
										- Enhanced Cl Control - AUTO 
												  - Virtualization Technology - ENABLED
												  - Intel SpeedStep Tech - AUTOMATIC
			 - Chipset - Configure DRAM Timing by SPD - ENABLED (Disable to set your own ram timings)
							  - Graphic Adapter Priority - PCI Express/Int VGA (I have a pci-e card installed)
							  - Internal Graphics Mode Select -DISABLED (Same reason as line above)
			 - Onboard Devices Configuration - HD Audio Controller - ENABLED
																		- Front Panel Support Type - HD Audio
																		- Onboard PCIEX GbE LAN - ENABLED
																		- Lan option ROM - DISABLED
																		 - ITE8211F Controller - ENABLED
																		 - Detecting Device Time - Quick Mode
																		 - Serial Port1 Address - DISABLED
																		 - Parallel Port Adress - DISABLED
			 - PCIPnP - Plug and Play O/S - NO
						- PCI Latency Timer - 64
						- Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA - NO
						- Palette Snooping - DISABLED
						- IRQ-3 to IRQ-15 Assigned to - PCI Device

Power Page:
			- Suspend Mode - AUTO
			- Repost Video on S3 Resume - DISABLED
			- ACPI 2.0 Support - YES
			- ACPI APIC Support - ENABLED

Boot Page: 
			- Your Preference

Once you have your BIOS Setup and saved. Pop in the JaS.10.4.8.SSe3.Intel.only.iso (or any other 8.8.1/8.9.1 kernel install) that you carefully burnt very slowly in your favorite burning app. restart your comp.

At the Asus splash screen pess the F8 key and your will be sent to the boot selector menu.

Select your dvd drive hit enter then when promted at the darwin install screen press F8 once again.

now type in -v and hit enter and sit back for a bit and watch those .kexts fly.

After you select you language and click the arrow to proceed, let it all load up.

Now in the menubar select Utilities>Disk Utility

Select your HD in which you want to Install on then Format/Partition, whichever you have to do.

after Disk Utility is done doing its thing exit it and go on to installing OS X.

*Tip* (When done formatting click on the other partitions you arent going to install on and unmount them)

Select your Partiton you just made. click install, now on the next page click Customize.

Now select these following packages:

Jas 10.4.8 Update, 10.4.8 Semthex Kernal, 10.4.4 Login Window, and GMA950 if you are using onboard Video

Now click install and sit back and take a break for a while.

if all goes right it will install without a hitch and then restart.

Pop out your install dvd and boot to your hd. (OS X sets itself as active)

Quickly tap F8 after POST to get to the Darwin boot prompt.

at the darwin Boot promt enter -v and hit enter and now watch for errors and such.

Go through the Welcome Setup and Registration.

Once your at the desktop customise to what you want, and now apply taruga's 882 package, drag and drop Paulicat's smbios into /System/Library/Extensions/ (Authenticate it).

Now open up Terminal and enter the following:

sudo -s
	your password
	sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext/
	sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ApleSMBIOS.kext/
	cd /System/Library/
	rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache
	diskutil repairPermissions /

now reboot and enjoy bliss.

If you would like to overclock on this board Wallstreet has made up a handy guide for overclocking with this board : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=198322

*there may be more that i need to add or edit but hey its 6am right now ive been writing this for you for the past hour, feedback would be appreciated*

I can post my working kexts as soon as i get around to it. but hey its a tut to get your stuff working, ill let you figure it out.

**just for some information on this build i have used the following parts:

Asus P5LD2-VM, Intel C2D 2.13ghz, 2Gb (2x 1gb) ddr2-667 Ram, 2x 320gb seagate 7200.1 sata hd's, pioneer dvr-111d, XFX 7300GS pci-e Card (dual display with Natit_Dualv.02)

***EDITED on March 19th to add a few things to be more up to date, and a couple tips ;)

****EDITED on May 10th to include WallStreet's Overclocking Guide for this board

Edited by DiaboliK

Thanks for the guide, it solved some nagging problems. :)

My SATA wasn't working so I did my original install to an IDE. After reseting the bios to the defaults and using the settings above it now works. I have since cloned the IDE to the SATA then tossed the IDE.

My sound was working with the Azalia.kext but Parallels wouldn't recognize it. The bios change from AC97 to HD and taruga's 882 fix got it all working.

I used the JaS.10.4.8.AMD.INTEL.SSE2.SSE3 DVD for my install.

I downloaded Paulicat's smbios, but when I compared the version to mine it was the same, so I didn't install it. Don't know if this matters. What does it do / what is it for?

My network card kept saying the cable was unplugged every time I booted or rebooted. Switching the IONetworkingFamily.kext from v1.5.1 to v1.5.0 solved that problem.

Now I can say it's fully working and am considering buying another one of these boards. When you have the right information, its an easier and quicker install than WinXP.

My specs:

Asus P5LD2-VM v2, Intel D 820 2.8ghz, 1x 1gb ddr2-533 ram, 80gb seagate sata hd, pioneer dvr-111d, using onboard GMA950 video.

I downloaded Paulicat's smbios, but when I compared the version to mine it was the same, so I didn't install it. Don't know if this matters. What does it do / what is it for?

its just for the system profiler. so it recognizes your hardware better.

I recently bought the same motherboard since everything was compatible with Mac OS X, Windows XP / Vista, and Linux.

The only thing that does not work with Mac OS X is the second ITE IDE channel (the red one).

Has anyone been able to get this working?

I have two hard drives and an optical drive that are all IDE. I have seen IDE to SATA adapters, but I would rather just get the second IDE channel working.

if you goto the asus website and goto the download drivers area and they have linux versions of most of the drivers, unless someone can port the eide driver to work on mac we are sol for the moment.

Edited by DiaboliK

sleeps if you dont have an external graphics card like mine. (7600GT or 7300GS)

that until we fix natit to work with sleep.

*edit* sleep works with the 7300GS attatched

Edited by DiaboliK

sleeps if you dont have an external graphics card like mine. (7600GT or 7300GS)

that until we fix natit to work with sleep.

*edit* sleep works with the 7300GS attatched

Which version of natit are you running? Also, how is your BIOS set up re power management (S1/3 etc)? Thanks in advance. Sleep eludes me still...

Edited by consolation

I've the same MBoard. Core 2 Duo E6300 and a single 160GB HDD.

I'm already running windows XP on C: and D and E are my Logical Drivers. I created a partition for Mac after C.

[C - 35GB] [x - 25GB] [D - 45GB] [E - 45GB]

I managed to install OSX 10.4.8 (jas) on disk02 the 25b partition, but it won't boot. The same dreaded 'HFS Partition Error" if I set the osx partition as active. And if xp (c:) partition is active, I do see the Mac OS X86 in OS menu (using chain0) but it doesn't work, just gets me back to the OS menu.

Currently:

1. I can't use my OSX installing for the 'HFS Partition error"

2. and my E Drive (with lots of imp data) is missing.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Which version of natit are you running? Also, how is your BIOS set up re power management (S1/3 etc)? Thanks in advance. Sleep eludes me still...

Heres how to get the 7300GS working -> HERE

(kexts are in the post and follow instructions)

and if you read my first post with the bios settings in it, it shows you exactly what i have set.

I've the same MBoard. Core 2 Duo E6300 and a single 160GB HDD.

I'm already running windows XP on C: and D and E are my Logical Drivers. I created a partition for Mac after C.

I managed to install OSX 10.4.8 (jas) on disk02 the 25b partition, but it won't boot. The same dreaded 'HFS Partition Error" if I set the osx partition as active. And if xp (c:) partition is active, I do see the Mac OS X86 in OS menu (using chain0) but it doesn't work, just gets me back to the OS menu.

Currently:

1. I can't use my OSX installing for the 'HFS Partition error"

2. and my E Drive (with lots of imp data) is missing.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

RED EIDE Port DOESNT work. any harddrive connected to it wont be seen in mac.

As for your HFS+ partition error please refer to the TopazBar's tutorial on how to correctly set your partition using terminal and an install disk.

Located here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=33216

Edited by DiaboliK

I am not entirely sure, but I seem to remember somewhere that the Mac partition should be one of the first three primary partitions on the hard drive and cannot be after an extended / logical partition.

Since your "C" drive is a Logical partition, it might be why you are gettting the error. Try making it a Primary partition... as well as your Mac partition.

Everything worked for me except my (USB) Mouse, I even used a ps2/usb convertor but it didnt help.

any help greatly appreciated.

What install are you using? any installs other than the Jas 10.4.8 SSe3 Intel only Iso and the newest JaS 10.4.8 Amd/Intel SSe2/SSe3 v2 Iso work.

a couple of the 10.4.8 installs dont have the legacy usb support.

when i get home ill upload the IOUSBFamily.kext for ya.

Here ya go : IOUSBFamily.kext.zip

Heres how to install it:

drag and drop into /System/Library/Extensions/

Authenticate and replace when asked.

open terminal and enter the following:

sudo -s
your password
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
diskutil repairPermissions /

now reboot and see if it works.

Edited by DiaboliK

Many thanks for replying Diabloik.

Yes I'm using the latest Jas 1.4.8 version download just 2-3 days back.

Drag and drop? Ermm..my mouse doesnt work. Only keyboard does. Can you please tell me how to copy files via keyboard? Although I'm familiar with almost all terminal commands by now, but I'm not sure how to enter the cd/dvd drive from terminal.

Thanks again

ok this works if you have it opened on your desktop.

open terminal and enter the following:

sudo -s
password
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
sudo cp -r /Desktop/IOUSBFamily.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/

* Fixed code, thanks nimb0z! *

Edited by DiaboliK

I've copied your file into a cd-rw and osx reads it correctly. I just don't know how to copy it via terminal.

EDIT oh wow!! I didn't know it already setup my net. I just opened safari to realize internet works :S wow, just wow! ;)

UH! I see this page but unable to click the download link. Feels so disabled. Sheesh! :'(

Any other alternative?

Edited by nimb0z