My solution for Broadcom 440X problems on 10.4.8

zlazh

73 posts in this topic

i confirm that the connection is unstable in leopard 10.5.1/10.5.2 even with "half-duplex" and the other things

i couldn't check in 10.5.3 because i have sse2.

kindzadza: so you loose connection in 10.5.3? what kext / kernel are u using?

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem here with unstable connection! Got a Samsung X11 laptop (Core2Duo with intel chipset) which used to work perfect, but for some reason the BC440x that worked without problems for half a year is stuttering now as is my sound (they seem related, sound stutters when the connection goes down). I am using 10.5.4.

P.S.: Using Taruga's AppleHDA for AD1986 soundchip.

P.P.S.: using "network diagnosis" in system preferences after the connection stalled, I get 3 green dots (Ethernet, "Netzwerkeinstellung" and ISP), while the last two, "Internet" and "Server" are yellow; maybe that helps.

Update: I removed AppleHDA.kext and ALCInject.kext from my Extensions dir, now my ethernet works fine (for 2 hours now). Replacing ALCInject.kext with HDAEnabler.kext didn't change anything, same problems.

Update #2: AppleHDA was not the cause for this, network gone again (lasted over 2 hours which was extraordinary).

To be able to trace down the problem I'd like to start a configuration comparison. Please reply to this with your computer's specs and whether you got the problem with BCM440x not working suddenly.

Laptop: Samsung X11 CeSeba

CPU: Intel Mobile Core2Duo T5500

Chipset: Intel i945PM revision 03

Memory: 4 GB OCZ 667 MHz DDR2 (only 3 GB recognized by BIOS)

Sound: AD1986A HD Chip, working with Taruga AppleHDA for 1986

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GO 7400 working with NVInject

Install Method: Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD, Kalyway ComboUpdate to 10.5.3, Apple update to 10.5.4

Kernel: Vanilla 10.5.4 Kernel

Things tried:

• Setting all available options for the network adapter in windows (Power saving mode, Flow Control, QoS, WOL, everything you can change)
  • Playing with BIOS configuration (very limited options): SpeedStep on/off, CPU power saving mode enabled/disabled
  • Removing AppleHDA and ALCInject
  • Difference between starting MacOS from windows reboot or complete windows shutdown: none.
  • Comparing ioreg output for network card from before and after it stops working: no difference

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Same issue here with hanging of the connection (xps m1210, original 10.5.4 installed with efi, netkas smbios, alcinject). Almost pure system. I installed most of the ionetworking family and bcm440x drivers and the results are the same.

One thing that may help devs pinpoint the problem: Vmware Fusion seems to crash networking immediately (just boot a windows guest and try browsing the internet: You'll have guaranteed crash in less than a minute).

Hope that helps.

insmac22

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I've running 10.5.0/1/2/3 and my BCM440 Works! Just copy the AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext (attached below) to /System/Libary/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily/Contents/Plugins/

Then

rm /System/Libary/Extensions.mkext
  Then reboot and have fun :D

There is an Issue with the new kexts that the BCM440 kext randomly crashes Networking (often when you transfer much data). This can be fixed under Network settings/Advanced/Ethernet - set to custom and half dublex -> slower Ethernet but no crashes ;)

Hay Blade,

Is your BCM440x ethernet still work 100%? I tried what you suggested, but mine still drops the connection after a bit. I suspect for me it maybe the relation between the versions of AppleBCM440xEthernet.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext. I'm on iATKOS v4..

Could you post your IONetworkingFamily.kext too?

I've got a Dell Vostro 1500 with a BCM4401-B0. Guess it could be down to the chip version too.

Thanks for you help.

I've running 10.5.0/1/2/3 and my BCM440 Works! Just copy the AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext (attached below) to /System/Libary/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily/Contents/Plugins/

Then

rm /System/Libary/Extensions.mkext
 Then reboot and have fun :D

There is an Issue with the new kexts that the BCM440 kext randomly crashes Networking (often when you transfer much data). This can be fixed under Network settings/Advanced/Ethernet - set to custom and half dublex -> slower Ethernet but no crashes :)

I've set my broadcom 440 ethernet to half duplex but it still crashes, i dont remember this problem ever occuring in earlier 10.5 kernels... I am currently using the 10.5.4 kernel which was compiled for dual core support, using dell inspiron 6400.

I have tried using the kext from this thread as well as the kext that is in the dell setup package, but still get frustrating network crashes :)

Earlier when I had a Maximum 10.4.6 install, it used to work fine by default. I just tried a xXx 10.4.11 rev2 dvd. Maybe I had to manually choose something and I didn't.

Gonna give this a try.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I've spent like 1 1/2 days transforming my Dell Dimension 5000 (3 GHz Pentium 4/HT with 160 GB SATA and 2 GB Dell supplied RAM) from an XP box into a hackintosh. I used iLegend 1.3 a/k/a OS X 10.5.5 - and after figuring out which kernel to use (vanilla fails, I'm using the 9.4.0-StageXNU), it behaves like charm. The only difference from a factory Dimension 5000 is (positively) that I've replaced the ATI graphics board with a nVidia GeForce 7600 GS - which is playing smoothly with Quartz GL through NVinject. No trouble from here - I tell you, this "Mac" feels like a real Mac.

... However, the only problem was that stupid BCM440 which gave me the usual troubles. I tried a lot - finally I removed both iLegend's AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext and IONetworkingFamilty.kext (which, BTW, does not contain a BCM440X plugin) and installed the old IONetworkingFamilty.kext from zlazh's original post. No effect - network access, but unstable.

I figured out the shortest draconian solution would be to disable the BCM440 in the BIOS and simply use a different PCI based NIC. And while I was already wondering where I could get a 3Com 3C90x, I simply pulled my vintage hardware drawer open and used whatever I got my hands on first: Namely a NIC with a chip on it printed with an "Intel" insignia - fair enough for a lucky try.

LSPCI reports it to be a DECchip 21142/43 [1011:0019] (rev 41). And before I could worry anymore, en1 had already grabbed a DHCP lease and brought me instantly into the internet. ... I'm not sure where that driver comes from, as far as I can see it's not in the IONetworkingFamilty.kext, and I actually don't see anything indicating a DECnet driver. Anyhow - it works!

ok, i have the same Problem on my Samsung R55 Clayton (or something). When a torrent is started, network quits. This i can understand so far... don'´t know why, but there could be a connection.

But in my case it also quits when a program of Adobes cs4 suit is started...

Before I installed the cs4 programs everything worked great. I downloades a 6GB file without any problem.

Has anybode recogniced this coherence? Who of you have also installed any adobe programms? it might also be adobe acrobat.

P.S.: But Time mashine sais the IONetworkingFamily.kext is not changed since the system was installed.

Arg.. something stupid, but half works, a simple script:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext

sleep 1

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext

And I got it to ressurrect, whoever , not 100%, and soon crashed again.

Gonna try do it with IONEtworking too now, just waiting for the next crash..

1 day w/o crashing.... crashed now.

I`ve tryed to unload IONetworking too, but it won`t go down..

Just BCM kinda works, it comes back but not 100%....

Any ideas ?!?!?! which kext can I unload and load that has to do with networking ? hmm maybe some PCI ?

• 4 weeks later...

bump!

eth crash only with massive packets (directly download) from virtual machine (NAT) ...

(making same thing whit wifi it doesn't happen)

stats:

from System Preference is up

from terminal

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

inet6 fe80::214:a5ff:fee9:925d%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6

inet 192.168.6.76 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.6.255

ether 00:17:08:34:5e:bb

media: autoselect status: active

supported media: autoselect

ping to my ip is ok.

ping to my gw in dead

tcpdump -i en0 IS EMPTY!!

only reboot I can restore my eth connection..

I just tried load/unload kexts...

• 3 months later...

I am just happy to have finally found a thread about the problem, even if there is no definitive solution yet.

I was beginning to think it was something specific to my install.

I am just happy to have finally found a thread about the problem, even if there is no definitive solution yet.

I was beginning to think it was something specific to my install.

don't wanna speak too soon.

but i think i fixed it.

went a whole day with no network problems... used vmware, everything!

if i still think it's fixed tomorrow i'll post what i did.

don't wanna speak too soon.

but i think i fixed it.

went a whole day with no network problems... used vmware, everything!

if i still think it's fixed tomorrow i'll post what i did.

sooo..

i went to the advanced options for the ethernet and changed the MTU to 1420.

i don't really understand why that helped, but it REALLY seems to have made a difference.

the only times i have had network problem since then have been after trying to install the experimental intel 3945 driver.

i had to totally reinstall after that. i reinstalled using a different distro (iPC 10.5.6) and it had problems when i first installed, but has been flawless since i reset the MTU to 1420.

*shrug*

YMMV

Changing the MTU to 1420 has stopped the network from going down for me but it's so damn slow it's hardly usable. Slow with MTU at 1500 or 1420. I'm going to pick up an external nic after work today and use that instead. Will hopefully work much better.

sooo..

i went to the advanced options for the ethernet and changed the MTU to 1420.

i don't really understand why that helped, but it REALLY seems to have made a difference.

the only times i have had network problem since then have been after trying to install the experimental intel 3945 driver.

i had to totally reinstall after that. i reinstalled using a different distro (iPC 10.5.6) and it had problems when i first installed, but has been flawless since i reset the MTU to 1420.

*shrug*

YMMV

• 1 month later...

i have a broadcom 440x ethernet and found 100% working solution. No kext problems, if your machine up to 2gb ram, internet randomly droped, but 1gb ram, no drop, fast and stability. Everyone try this "maxmem=1024" boot param. and please write comments. what couse this problem ?

• 1 month later...
i have a broadcom 440x ethernet and found 100% working solution. No kext problems, if your machine up to 2gb ram, internet randomly droped, but 1gb ram, no drop, fast and stability. Everyone try this "maxmem=1024" boot param. and please write comments. what couse this problem ?

I can confirm this, tried maxmem=1024 at boot, and no drop. I have a DELL XPS m1210 laptop, 4 GB RAM (only recognizes 3.25 GB), iAtkos v7.

Any ideas? Solution? I want use ALL my RAM!!!! hehehe

I can confirm this, tried maxmem=1024 at boot, and no drop. I have a DELL XPS m1210 laptop, 4 GB RAM (only recognizes 3.25 GB), iAtkos v7.

Any ideas? Solution? I want use ALL my RAM!!!! hehehe

maxmem=1024 no needed. I can confirm that networking works with cpus=1 at boot. So, now I've all my 4GB of RAM but only 1 core :|.

Solutions?

• 2 months later...
maxmem=1024 no needed. I can confirm that networking works with cpus=1 at boot. So, now I've all my 4GB of RAM but only 1 core :unsure: .

Solutions?

I tried all the solutions from this topic. None is not working.For the cpus=1 or maxmem=1024,I always have In Preferences-> Network the message ,at status, "The cable for PCI Ethernet Slot ethernet is not plugged in". Without this option(cpus or maxmem) the build-in ethernet is grayed out and the status link is inactive ,a wrong IP is given.With this option ,the status is also inactive and there is the message from above,wrong ip is given(something like 6.3.6.0).Any suggestions? Thanks!

• 4 months later...