My solution for Broadcom 440X problems on 10.4.8

zlazh

73 posts in this topic

Hi, it's Zlazh here, that's my first post, my own solution for ethernet (wiring) problems with Broadcom and P4 2,8 ghz sse2.

Sorry for my poor english but i'm italian.

I'm using Jas 10,4,8 with ppf2 patch ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=38125 ) ^_^

As many of you already know that bcm has a lot of problems with the new kext... (the famous IONetworkingFamily.kext 1.5.1)

So the target is very simple...

Expert people solution (basically if you know Mac OS Terminal Language :P )

You need two files, the previous version of IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext U can find them below, there's the link.

Now u just have to drag n' drop them in /System/Library/Extensions, repair disk permissions, do kextload and kextcache for both of them (first load and cahce the first, then the second) and then reboot... Et voila, it just works :)

Noobs solution (the one i used too :P)

download IOPCIFamily.kext here ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=6293 ) and IONetWorkingFamily.kext. here ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=1733 )

(Credit goes to Billy for PCI, to dell700m for IONEt and to Rammjet for his compilation :) )

they are the old version of these kext.

place them in ur mac desktop

open /System/Library/Extensions

and drag n' drop them in that folder... a message will appear telling u the operation can't be done, ignore it and click on the button Autentication (I dunno if it't the same in english, i'm using mac in italian, u just have two buttons, a OK and the other, click the other)

and insert ur password if requested. Both files already exist so if it asks you to replace them (again a bare translation from italian).

Open Finder>Application>Utility>Disk Utility , click on your mac disk and on the button "repair Disk Permissions"

then close it :P

I hope everything it's ok till now :)

Now open finder>application>utility>Terminal

now follow me (i hope i will not make any mistake, i'll be grateful if anyone more expert will correct me :P )

Type

sudo -s

and then insert ur password

now type

kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/IONetWorkingFamily.kext

then type

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

and do the same with IOPCIFamily, like this

kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext

and then

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

in the end type reboot

Ur mac will reboot and if we both didn't make any error, the game will be over... :pirate2:

Hope it will work, tell me if it does, and please correct me if i made mistakes...

:wacko:

Hey Zlazh, thanks for the tip.

I am running an Inspiron 9300 with the Broadcom 440x adapter with a dual boot with XP and JaS 10.4.8.

I setup a Fat 32 partition and downloaded the IONetworkingFamily.kext from the link you provided.

I was able to symplify thing by opening the folder, opening the zipped file and draging the IONetworkingFamily.kext file to the desktop.

Next I opened the disk with OSx installed ,on the desktop or you may need to cick Go and Computer, and then the Disk, then open System folder, Library, then Extensions folder and scroll down to IONetworkingFamily.kext, drag it to the trash can and entered my password.

Then I was able to drag the new kext file from my desktop into the Extensions folder click on authenticate enter my password and close out the folder.

After that I opened the Utilities, disk utilitiy selected my disk with OSx installed and clicked on Repair Disk Permissions.

Shut down and restarted.

I never had to do anything in the terminal.

One thing that I did find out on this is if I do boot into Windows I must shut down if I want to use the network in OSx it will not work if I just use the restart.

Hope this helps.

That worked for me also, thanks for the tip !

Acer TravelMate 4202WLMi on JaS 10.4.8 Intel-AMD

CPU Intel Core Duo 1.66GHZ - Working

Intel 945GM Express Chipset - Working

1024MB DDR RAM - Working

Intel High-Definition Audio - Not yet fixed

Integrated Ethernet Broadcom440X - Working/Fixed following this thread

Integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG - Not Working

Card Reader - Not tested

USB - Working

Edited by TheQwertz

:thumbsup_anim: im a total noob to Mac but this is what i have been searching for!! you rule, i followed the full instructions! i have so many issues w/ gateway systems but i really apreceate this!!! :thumbsup_anim:

now i screwed up my sys after updating, when i updated i lost the use of wireless, any bright ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

@GimmeRed: I used it too, i had to reinstall after nvidia crash, and it works too, it's the same, but i wanted to do a guide for noobs like i am :)

@blueMac try to do it again! :pirate2: i just uptading it, i hope it will work again if i loose the connection

@Everyone, i appreciate your feedback, and i hope u enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, nice tutorial but when i brign the AirPort program up it says Status: No AirPort Hardware Found

I think this is supposed to be for the wired NIC, broadcom 440x.

Btw, good job! works like a charm.

I also need to shut down when in windows, restarting just doesnt work. :hysterical:

Hm..

When trying this method on my Dell XPS M1210 it doesnt let me kextload in the terminal. It says it is not a bundle and when restarting i get a kernal error, so i just reinstalled Mac and it still does the same thing.

ok disregard my last post. I got it working, thank you.

My newb mistake was unraring the file then copying the folder that it unrared out of and putting it in extensions, instead of taking the actual kext out of the folder it was in because on the mac the folder has the same name as the kext and shows the kext icon instead of a folder icon. bah..

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
I think this is supposed to be for the wired NIC, broadcom 440x.

Btw, good job! works like a charm.

I also need to shut down when in windows, restarting just doesnt work. :P

I dont think you understood what he meant. It interferes with the his wireless card as being detected as Airport Extreme. It seems to be that those 2 files are dependencies for the airport because I had the same problems when I tried this solution. Also it still did not get my BCM440x working because I got a link load error at boot just like I did with the 10.4.8 versions of these 2 files. I also did it the way you are supposed to install these files by using the chmod and chown commands and removing /System/Library/*.mkext /System/Library/*.kextcache and then a kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

I dont think you understood what he meant. It interferes with the his wireless card as being detected as Airport Extreme. It seems to be that those 2 files are dependencies for the airport because I had the same problems when I tried this solution. Also it still did not get my BCM440x working because I got a link load error at boot just like I did with the 10.4.8 versions of these 2 files. I also did it the way you are supposed to install these files by using the chmod and chown commands and removing /System/Library/*.mkext /System/Library/*.kextcache and then a kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Here is the output from dmesg. This is what I get at boot no matter whether I install the old files or use the ones from 10.4.8

com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet isn't a valid mach-o

error mapping module file com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet

can't map com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet in preparation for loading

Can't determine dependencies for com.apple.driver.AppleBCM440XEthernet.

Couldn't alloc class "AppleBCM440XEthernet"

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, i'm with Acer Aspire AS5613ZNWLMI and Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2]

I did exactly the things in post 1 and my Broadcom 440 works perfectly :)

A big thanks to Zlazh

You dont need the IOPCIfamily.kext for the networkcard to work.

in the 10.4.8.(from Jas 10.4.8 sse2sse3amd) the AppleBCM440xEthernet.kext inside the plugins is PPC only. therefore you need to replace it with a Universal one (from 10.4.7 or 10.4.5)

1. put the the Universal version AppleBCM440xEthernet.kext into IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

2. DiskUntility to Repair permission.

3. reboot. the AppleBCM440x should work now

4. For Dell computer, you need to turn off Windows before to active the networkcard (Dells BIO put the network card to sleep if the widnows goes to sleep)

• 2 weeks later...