VMWare + 10.4.8 + good install = freeze on reboot

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a Dell E1505 Core 2 Duo, 1gb of mem, ATI x1400, 80 gig, Intel 3945 ABG wireless, bluetooth.

My first attempt to install osx was with 10.4.7 and I installed it without VMware. The install went well. On reboot I got black vertical lines. I tried to use an external monitor as suggested by others, but my machine was frozen.

I then downloaded 10.4.8 and I reformatted and installed. The install went well again. This time it froze at boot again. The blue apple screen would appear, the mouse circle would appear and spin for a min, then it would stop and the machine was frozen. I tried reinstalled a few different times, each using different custom install methods - each time same freeze. I set my bios to 1 core with all the installs. I also tried redownloading 10.4.8 and reburning.

Yesterday I decided to try VMware. I set everything up as suggested in the wiki how to. The install went well again, but it froze at the blue apple screen again.

I'm lost and I dont know what to try next. My main goal is to use OSX to check compatibility with clients pages along with a few widget designs.

I have access to the usenet, so my selection to osx downloads is limited. The retention is about 45 days, so I only have access to the newest DLs. I also cant seem to find anything besides Jas's 10.4.8 CD.

Any help would be appreciated!

Junkie

Ok, so you changed the options to not install the nvidia drivers, but what exact options did you choose when installing? Did you choose the intel or amd patch during the install? I'm running into the same problem and am in the middle of my 3rd reinstall now :thumbsup_anim: