Simple Build Recommendations

2 posts in this topic

Ok, so I'll start out by saying that I'm not looking to convert to OSX or to build some amazing system, as I just finished doing that for Christmas. :) All I really want is a reliable system to just dink around with, but possibly have expansion options in the future - id est, don't tell me to buy a mac mini, haha.

Requirements:

* EVERYTHING fully functional without mods. - I don't care if that sacrifices performance, honestly I'm not looking to play games or anything.

* Intel Chipset - I've read that this is the most compatible, and so that's what I'd prefer. If someone else wants to convince me otherwise, be my guest, but as I said, I want everything to work.

* Intel GMA Graphics - I know this isn't gonna be as sweet as my SLI system, I know I'm not going to be able to play the newest, hottest OSX games or whatever, and I honestly couldn't care less. I just don't want to be stuck running 1024x768@60Hz like I am...or was, I should say. (I tried doing the kext thing for my nVidia cards, now OSX is frozen on startup.)

* WORKING audio input - I've got Cubase for Windows, and my best friend has Cubase for OSX. He IMs me ever few days to tell me about some new something that he got for it, only for him to follow that up with "well they don't make that for PC." I'd really like to punch him in the face. I'd also really like to say "well I don't care because I've also got a mac now."

I've got an extra G5 case to put everything in once it's made, so if everything could fit in that, that'd be a huge plus, obviously. I don't really need a really powerful processor (I seriously dropped a ton of money on an awesome new PC, not looking to do that twice), I'd just like something that doesn't suck balls. Same with the motherboard, I've read the Bad Axe 2 is amazing, which I'm sure it is, but I really don't need or want to spend that much on something I'll only use occasionally. I'm thinking like Pentium D? I don't need a hard drive, optical drive, et cetera; I've got literally piles of them. So essentially, I'd really like a good motherboard recommendation. I've read all the forums and wiki, it's just hard to get a definite "this is the good board" as everyone has their own opinions. I hate to use this word, but I'm really just looking for like the 'basic' (shudder), generic system, which probably means as close to the developers system as possible. I read somewhere 'essentially' what the developers system was, but I'd really like some definite, concrete advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.