G5 Front Panel Pinout

nagal

8 posts in this topic

I have been working on making a pinout for the front panel connection board that comes in the PowerMac G5 cases.

I have NOT verified this by actually hooking anything up. I have only pinned it out with a multi-meter and used the standards for USB, Firewire and Audio to assign the actually pins to something meaningful.

I am unsure of the LED and Power Switch because something just does not seem right with what I have found out. I am thinking it might be safer to wire up the LED and Switch seperate from J1. Firewire power is at 30V and that seems like a lot for a LED.

Again, use this at your own risk. I take no responsibility for any damage that might incur.

EDIT: I have converted this to a PDF and changed my numbering to match what Neo used. Also included in the PDF drawings for USB and FireWire connectors.

PDFonline1.pdf

Edited by nagal

I am unsure of the LED and Power Switch because something just does not seem right with what I have found out. I am thinking it might be safer to wire up the LED and Switch seperate from J1. Firewire power is at 30V and that seems like a lot for a LED.

For the LED front panel pins just look at this...

Could you make a pic for better understanding?

cYa ~Neo

Neo,

I changed my pin number to match yours, added some figures and made it into a PDF. I have left everything blank right now for the LED and Power button assingments because there is some conflict with what I have found and what you have.

You have J1-18 as the ground for the power button which is the same connection for the power pin of the Firewire connector. This can't be right.

I dont have the power button here with me here at work so I cant do anymore research on this until tonight when I get home.

Is this "Front Panel Board Cable" the one you guys are using? http://www.apple.com/support/powermac/doit.../caseparts.html

That cable will not plug into a PC motherboard. What we are talking about is how to connect the front panel pcb to a PC motherboard. You have to cut off one end then wire it up with standard PC connectors so it can hook into a PC mobo.

Hi All!

I'm going to give it another shot... my first attempt made my mobo stop booting with the usb connection... I believe it must be related to the cable type I was using... To make it easier to try I'm also using Asus' Quick Connector thing.

I'll get back to you... later! Hopefully

:thumbsup_anim: