Best MOBO for OSx86 and XP/Vista

83 posts in this topic

Wow, sorry about that Onetrack. I saw the cheap case and the nearline storage, and thought you needed more info. I should have known from the now-low wattage 120mm-fan PSU though, and the buying from NCIX. Well done.

No apologies needed my friend.. sadly though all the parts are here except my 500 gig maxline is DOA..

The heads are knocking and the drive vibrates like a.. well you know..

Also the onboard sata controller can't sense it so its being RMA'd back to ncix..

I put a gig of mushkin pc5300/ddr2-667 sodimm into my wifes macbook tho.. and man, the difference is night and day.. apple sure does people a great disservice by only having 512meg in the macbooks.

I like your setup now that I think of it. I should buy a 500gb nearline to back up a bit. With my current HDs and a BX2 with 8xSATA ports, I'll have over a terrabyte on an unsupported machine.

I'll probably just get the cheapest DDR2-6400 and see where the xeon overclock gets me.

OS X needs >512mb IMHO. 768 was sufficient for me. 1.2gb is more than enough for me, OS X just caches a ton of stuff. 2gb isn't enough for Photoshop+Rosetta+ RAW files though.

Well the motherboard is SMALL.. holy, I knew it was a matx, but its a lot smaller than i was expecting, not mini-itx small, just that i could have gone with a different case. For 24cdn tho, the build quality is very good. One small thing thats more annoying than anything else is that the i/o shield for the asus is about a 4mm too large, so it doesn't quite fit.. i had to cut a little, but thats ok, the mobo is well anchored and is pushing the i/o shield into its proper position. The case is fairly small for an ATX, definately smaller than the xion, about the same height as the sonata II but not as deep. The faceplate is super easy to remove too, and the cables are all threaded in behind the drives. Another annoying thing is that the faceplate is plastic while the case itself is aluminum, this makes it 2 different colours of white... the black on the sides is super shiny (like a psp) and makes up for it. The USB and Azalia audio connectors for the front ports are actually plugs, no need to mess around with spider connectors. I had to cut the hdd led connector since in this case its a 3, where the mobo connector is a 2, but that was easy.

Speaking of the case, its actually pretty decent to work on, 2 screws at the back and the side pops, its not anchored into anything it just comes off. I've put the silverstone psu and a single antec 120mm in the unit, still have tons of room. I've put an 80mm in the front where the hds sit to draw cooler air in, and I'm routing it through the side, top and back.. I've also taken off that wax stuff thats on the intel retail hsf and replaces it with arctic silver, just a drop will do, but i used some rubbing alchohol and makeup remover to get the wax off, it buffed up to a really nice shine.

The OCZ ram is the good stuff, pc2/6400 / ddr800, so full speed bus and i should get some decent o/cing from it.

All in all I'm about a grand less than a 20" imac.. I'll let you know how it goes once she's fired up.

Edited by Onetrack

Absolutely no luck at all with the asus p5ld2-vm or deluxe, i've had 2 vms and 1 deluxe and they simply do not even post. I've spent hours trying to get them to work and I get nothing at all

aparently out of the gate the VM 2.0 green does not support any 'D' processor and must be bios flashed. Well I don't have any other lga 775 and it wont do anything.

I've swapped ram, swapped psu's from known working machines and to no avail at all.

My other choice, after returning 3 boards is to go with an intel 945GCL matx board ( the dealer has 10 of these coming in stock in the morning), but its not even listed on the compatibility list, or to spring for the badaxe 2.

What a week of frustration.

What i've been reading comes down to this ;

"" the problem to do that is you need another CPU (anything LGA775 but a "D" serie) to be able to update your BIOS...""

Anyone else out there with this board and D class processors? it is the 2.0 green version.

I am sorry to hear about your frustration on the D processor.

I think i have seen many times before, people are (or had) working on this board with D proc's.

Do a search on the P5LD2-VM and see what you will get.

As for the Intell 945GCL, one member from here said he had great results with that board and also recommends that.

Again search for that one too.

If i were you, i would go with the D945GNTLKR.

It was on my list, cause it has onboard firewire, but unfortunately for me it doesn't work with C2D.

All i can do is Wish you good luck

I am sorry to hear about your frustration on the D processor.

I think i have seen many times before, people are (or had) working on this board with D proc's.

Do a search on the P5LD2-VM and see what you will get.

As for the Intell 945GCL, one member from here said he had great results with that board and also recommends that.

Again search for that one too.

If i were you, i would go with the D945GNTLKR.

It was on my list, cause it has onboard firewire, but unfortunately for me it doesn't work with C2D.

All i can do is Wish you good luck

Hooray ! Xbench 99.87

Intel 945GCL

PD 930VT

2 gigs pc6400 OCZ ram

Western digital 7200 rpm 16 meg cache 320 gig hd (sata 2)

Asus 7300 GT Silent PCI-e 256 meg

everything, fully supported out of the box, full QE/CI

Jas 10.4.8 intel/amd sse2/3 (released Feb 2nd/07)

Natit nvidia drivers full dual monitor support with no tweaking.

Onboard intel audio, working in and out

Intel 10/100VE not working (just have to edit the kext file, I've got the vendor id already)

I slapped in an smc ez card that I had laying around and osx picked it up right away.

Benchmarks are here (fixed the link..)

After the problems with the Asus board ( Diabolik I have NO idea, my dealer was scratching his head as was the tech department) the Intel board is flat out awesome.

love it.

Correction: it doens't appear that I have working audio out, I have ' digital out ' but this board doesn't have an spdif socket. for audio in i have 'internal microphone ' and Line in. That seems to be functioning well.

I have a plantronics USB headset, but it is not recognized when plugged in.

I'll forum scan, but if someone has a quick link to audio for the d945gcl, sound would be appreciated.

BTW I downloaded / ran Generals and COD2 demos last night, Generals goes out of range of my projector, cod2 runs butter smooth though.

Edit: hahaha.. I'm a dork.. big thanks to tuxuser33 on the forums who pointed out that audio out on this board with osx is the blue connection.. sound is working great ;)

So, that would be everything except networking on the intel VE working out of the box which an edited kext file or a 5.00 spare network card fixes.

:D

Edited by Onetrack

• 1 month later...
onboard gb nic works fine.

i use jas semthex/rufus build dvd's custom tailored to my own machines.

so, i dont have much problems other than finding the right half-height firewire card that works correctly.

i may switch over to the Asus P5L-VM 1394 cause it has onboard firewire and DamonES is working on an Attansic L1 Gb nic driver, which seems to be going well.

HOW did you get the Attansic driver to work?