Best MOBO for OSx86 and XP/Vista

83 posts in this topic

Hey all

Newbie here. I've played around with some of the earlier Jas builds (10.4.7) in VM Ware with *some* success (got it working, sort of) and now I want to make the leap into a fully fledged native build of OSX. I'm going to dump my AMD Sempron 3000+ and mobo and move towards Intel. I'm also planning on getting a Core 2 Duo E6300 with complementary mobo - but the question remains which mobo is the *best* out there for a combination between Windows XP (or Vista) and OSX. The plan is to install OSX and Windows in dual boot. I'm not looking at having a super-duper, lightning fast boot OSx86 system but some that works reasonably well, with the option of booting back into windows when I need to do some serious work. I have a few choices in mind and I would appreciate any good recommendations out of this list. This is by no means the only ones I would like, but these mobo's seem to fit the right balance between cost, function (overclocking) and compatibility with OSx86 - right out of the box.

ASROCK CONROE 945G-DVI

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

ASUS P5LD2-VM DH

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3

I'm tending to lean towards either the GA-965P-DS3 or the CONROE 945G-DVI mainly because of cost & simplicity. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I will be changing my system for the next 18 months to an E6600 with either Gigabyte or Asus mainboard either the DS3(or4) or the P5W deluxe. While the compatibility issuses with OSX do arise when not using an Intel mainboard the systems that do have other m/b will run with a little bit of work.

Good luck

Edited by 3mp3ror

I would have to say go with the ASUS P5LD2-VM

ive been makin hackintosh after hackintosh about 9 so far.... :jester:

and the ASUS P5LD2-VM has to be by far the most compatible 945g chipset mobo. (out of the box i mean, its my fav. OSX86 Mobo By far)

the only thing you will have to add is Taruga's AppleHDA for ALC882 in the Drivers subforum of the hardware section of out forum.

Edited by DiaboliK

I would have to say go with the ASUS P5LD2-VM

ive been makin hackintosh after hackintosh about 9 so far.... :dev:

and the ASUS P5LD2-VM has to be by far the most compatible 945g chipset mobo. (out of the box i mean, its my fav. OSX86 Mobo By far)

the only thing you will have to add is Taruga's AppleHDA for ALC882 in the Drivers subforum of the hardware section of out forum.

I have to choose between this and the Asrock.

Don't you have problems with the LAN? Cause as i read, people having the P5LD2-VM, have network problems, using the latest JAS 10.4.8.

If it's not a problem anymore, perhaps i will chose this over the Asrock, only because i have read that it works good with Final Cut Pro.

Regards

onboard gb nic works fine.

i use jas semthex/rufus build dvd's custom tailored to my own machines.

so, i dont have much problems other than finding the right half-height firewire card that works correctly.

i may switch over to the Asus P5L-VM 1394 cause it has onboard firewire and DamonES is working on an Attansic L1 Gb nic driver, which seems to be going well.

Edited by DiaboliK

Thanks ppl for the input.

Yeah, I have already thought about the ASUS P5LD2-VM DH but the thing is, I want a MOBO with *good* overclocking features. Which means the board GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 offers the most. I've heard you can take a e6300 on stock cooler to 2.8 Ghz - not bad for an Intel chip 1.8 Ghz out of the box. :whistle: I'm seeing these Gigabyte boards going for around £80 (including p&p) so I pretty much decided to go down that route. I know there is probably more *issues* with this board in comparison with the ASUS (especially that SATA & IDE thing!!) but for me the deciding factor was the overclocking potential (I want to make my windows more meaty).

I have to choose between this and the Asrock.

Don't you have problems with the LAN? Cause as i read, people having the P5LD2-VM, have network problems, using the latest JAS 10.4.8.

If it's not a problem anymore, perhaps i will chose this over the Asrock, only because i have read that it works good with Final Cut Pro.

Regards

Well I for one have problems with the onbord nic on the P5LD2-VM not responding until the cable has been unplugged and put back. OK for a machine left on 24h/day I guess. I stuck an old realtek card so I don't have to srcew with it. Haven't figured out SATA either. Won't install to it. This is all with the JaS Intel/AMD 10.4.8 and the two pf's.

A writeup on a complete install, including bios settings, would be great.

I haven't spent much time working on the sound. I built this box for work, which is mainly network admin and some financial apps. I checked the box for AppleAzalia during the install and I know I've got stereo sound out of one of the six jacks. AppleHDA sounds like the way to go if I can get some time to try it.

SATA is more important to me right now. I'm had to use an old 40gb parallel for the install and I need some more space. I have a few big SATA's on the shelf but if I add one I get the "restart" screen.

I also need to find an IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.7. I just got into OSX86 and the only disk I have is 10.4.8.

alright kids. ive got a new machine ive got to build tonight heres the specs:

ASUS P5LD2-VM (not the DH version)

C2D 2.13 ghz

2gb PQI ddr2 pc-667 Ram

2x seagate 7200.1 320gb harddrives (sata II)

XFX geforce 7300GS

i will write up a how to on how to get everything stuff working from a fresh install of 10.4.8 semthex kernel.

i dunno how you all are having troubles with this board. its my favorite so far. :)

stay tuned for my How To on the ASUS P5LD2-VM....

alright kids. ive got a new machine ive got to build tonight heres the specs:

ASUS P5LD2-VM (not the DH version)

C2D 2.13 ghz

2gb PQI ddr2 pc-667 Ram

2x seagate 7200.1 320gb harddrives (sata II)

XFX geforce 7300GS

i will write up a how to on how to get everything stuff working from a fresh install of 10.4.8 semthex kernel.

i dunno how you all are having troubles with this board. its my favorite so far. ;)

stay tuned for my How To on the ASUS P5LD2-VM....

That would be more than great. :D

I can't wait ! :D

guys , anyone of you see the TOPIC ????

Best MOBO for OSx86 and XP/Vista

what mean BEST ??

best compatible for OSX i think and good stability and for some of u - great OC'ing potencial ..

yeah ??

i right ??

so you have no choice !!!

THE BEST MOBO IS THE INTEL BAD AXE 2

it's a lot more compatible for OSX - for example i have 3.0 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon in "about this Mac" (mine xeon 3050 is OC'd to 3.0 ghz (fsb=375 * 8 = 3000) and "1.86 ghz Core 2 SOLO". with my previous ASrock and e6300 (but 2 cores working - i can see it in CPU monitor)

but there is no xeon 3000 series processors in macs, but mine is recognised and shown correctly !

also memory speed read correctly.

also i can monitor CPU temperature.

i just turn on my hackintosh first time, go to system pref - networking - and my onboard lan recognised.

also i hace pci usb 2.0 card on via chipset, which i just plugged and it WORKS !! just simply WORKS, before with Asrock 945G-DVI i can't get it working in no way...

etc. etc... .

it's a lot of little benefits, which makes this mobo the BEST for OSX.

also i don't know better mobo for OC'ing (so i can say for windows) - read xtremesystems forum, and you'll make sure what Asus, even P5W Deluxe is always behind BAD AXE !!!

Edited by boo50

@boo50:

your proc being seen correctly is becouse of our modified smbios and not many people are willing to shell out close to 300 for a mobo.

Xeon processors other than the woodcrest family have no difference to the current core2duo's other than the name.

Research and have fun. all i got to say.

*now that ive done and installed xp on my above noted system above, time to get crackin on osx86*

->Stay Tuned<- ^_^

Edited by DiaboliK

I totally agree with Diabolik.

Not many people (including me), are willing to spend so much money for a motherboard.

But if i would make a system from scratch, i would sure considering the BadAxe.

But in many cases, a lot of people doesn't need a super duper overclockable M/B + spending another amount of money on some Nvidia card.

It that case, all there is to choose, depends on the processor being used.

If it's for Celeron or Pentium D, i would go with some Intel 945G boards

If it's for C2D, i think the most compatible and cheap boards are the P5LD2-VM and the Asrock CONROE945G-DVI.

In my case, i will only change my 965 Intel M/B, so in that case i already have a proc.

P.S. I just bought the P5LD2-VM (it was the last piece) and waiting for the tutorial.

Although i think the installation it is straight forward, i wouldn't say no for a good Guide.

For example, i have seen a good installation guide in .doc for the CONROE945G-DVI, which explains exactly what you have to do, for a completely working machine.

This kind of procedure i would like to see for the ASUS board too.

P.S.2 This board (P5LD2-VM), should have been in a topic of it's own with guides, like some other boards have.

Regards

Looking forward for any tutorials

Xeon processors other than the woodcrest family have no difference to the current core2duo's other than the name.

Research and have fun. all i got to say.

sure i know, what mine xeon 3050 is the same e6400, but xeons are just a little better quality processors, just better select on manufacturing state, so they must be cooler, whicn i need for OC'ing.

also

Looking forward for any tutorials
for BAD AXE you don't need tutorials =)) it just WORKS ! Edited by boo50

also for BAD AXE you don't need tutorials =)) it just WORKS !

I am glad that you are happy with the BadAxe, and i am sure that i would prefer the BadAxe2 if i was building from scratch (i love INTEL boards, they are true Rock Solid for Work).

I read your comments about the Asrock, that's why i didn't choose that.

I think many people with P5LD2-VM are looking forward for a tutorial (guide), to start with.

Regards

*now that ive done and installed xp on my above noted system above, time to get crackin on osx86*

->Stay Tuned<- :angel:

Please don't forget to mention the exact Jas image you use on the ASUS board.

Looking forward

@DiaboliK

your proc being seen correctly is becouse of our modified smbios

you not completely right.

because smbois from paulicat help only show correct amount of GHZ !! with it i have now 3.0 Dual-core Intel Xeon.

But with "unmodofied", mostly original Smbios by Mifki - i have 4 Ghz Dual-core Intel Xeon

so this mobo and this proc. are identify correctly w/o editing!

@boo50

Im not gonna argue over something stupid like this. seems some people are too hard headed.

im just helping out and trying not to make a big fuss about it.

and im not trying to push one thing on masses of people when theres thousands of other options around.

Ive just helped a whole bunch of people on the board with just these post in this thread, and what has yours done other than push an overpriced mobo/proc combo around?

Edited by DiaboliK

ok, i understand you.

i'm just wanna a REAL hackintosh, what just works, w/o a lot of headache.

so i recomment exactly Intel mobos for everyone.

don't wanna "overpriced" config (i suppose what you think what macs are overpriced too, i'm not - they just expensive, but price is reasonable IMHO) so good choice here is C2D e6300 + Intel D945GCL mobo - you'll get an iMac clone technically.

also i TRUST in MACEFI project ....... .. .... one more reason to get Intel mobo .

Edited by boo50