Mobility Radeon 9000 thread

hardboiledwonderland

445 posts in this topic

for the nth time: there is not and will never ever be any CI support for any card below a 9550.

p-J16: Katana's autodetect script doesn't work for the 9100 card that you and I have (5835). It probably could and should work, but the card is a bit rare and probably not in the detection code. But it doesn't really matter. Katana is only an installer for the stuff you can already use. A standardized installer like katana is meant to be used when things are already working. Since they're not for us, stick to the basics and using different combinations.

Things you guys can try to do that I've failed on in the past year or so with older versions:

-Try to get current agpart to load with the ATI 8500 driver OR the old 3rd party ATI.kext that JAS made.

-The ATI 8500 driver is pretty {censored}. JAS's while old and primitive might actually be a better option to play with, yet there's very few test results on this.

-Mess with different versions of callisto + agpart

Just keep trying stuff and testing the results. Report what you get (faster results, kernel panic etc.) And make sure you list all the relevant information (card id, agpart version, callisto version etc). A lot of possible breakthroughs are vague and inconclusive because they don't include all the details. Saying you have a 9000 or a 9100 isn't specific enough. And forget about katana for now!

I don't have the time to test this stuff, so please someone with time and a free system to kill mess around. Note if you do crash your system (and you probably will messing with this stuff) there are lots of ways to restore the old drivers:

-boot in single user mode from Darwin boot disk or install disk and copy backed up files back to the extensions folder

-use something like macdrive etc.

Also if anyone has an ATI board, please check if you can get agpart to load. Back in july this was causing crashes.

Oh yea and read this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=24574

There's gotta be some ideas on things to try and what needs to happen from what the 7500 guys did. I haven't had time to go through this.

Also look into 9200 family stuff as well like this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36383

Those cards use the 8500 driver too, which is our main problem. I've seen a couple scattered reports in the last year of opengl or QE working on 8500 series cards, but they all tend to be vague and unconfirmed and not replicated.

Hello,

I thought I'd join the thread. I'm the proud owner of a Dell Latitude D600. Great laptop, but Mobility Radeon 9000... A pity it doesn't work too well in OSX but it works fine in Linux and Windows.

Hope something can happen! Even screensavers are so so slow here :D

I used Katana 0.2 but the autodetection didn't work. So I used the latest Katana 0.3 which installed, but System Properties said kext not loaded. So I installed Callisto and edited the CallistoHAL.kext to include my device ID and rebooted. My card is recognised, but no QE. Shame.

I have AGPgart running and my card is recognised as AGP. Callisto is version 008. No image problems. Just no QE.

Edited by flibblesan

I been using Callisto 003 (fixed) version and AGPGart 2.1z and its pretty slow here I hear QE/CI don't get along with AGPGart but some people have sucess with it I'll keep messing around with 8500 kexts and try to get it to load (or recognize) or try to get the Jaguar Version to work (OpenGL AND 8500 kexts thats when Mobility 9000 was around i think) if any body gets anything like Screensaver Improvement or OpenGL improvement, let the thread know of how u did it :whistle: or just email me ;)

Ok News update from me :P

I did some tinking with 8500 Kexts and with Callisto + AGP and i found out that they don't work well when kextloaded i kextloaded ATI8500.kext and it doesn't work, I know the kext was never completed but it doesn't not work but, what eles is left?

I don't think callisto is the answer honestly. I was working on getting AGPart working on ATI boards with joblo in july and he told me that to get anywhere with QE etc. we needed to get the 8500 driver to load. It's pretty common knowledge that the driver is a little screwy and that Apple didn't finish/fix it etc. and it might never load. I think I've seen one or two claims that it did though, so it's not impossible. There is one other option though, thats JAS's driver as I mentioned before. If someone can get one of those drivers to load w/o a kernel panic, then you have a real ATI driver (callisto is just a framebuffer and not a complete driver from what I understand). Couple that with AGP bus with AGPart and you're good to go. Not as easy as it sounds, but this is what Joblo lead me to believe. And there was someone who reported QE a while back using the old JAS driver and AGPart.

Someone summarize for me what the 7500 people did. Or maybe next week I'll look into it. The only difference is they don't have this bad driver issue like we do... the 7500 kext is fine, in fact I have an old 7500 laptop that loads it perfectly.

I might add that until the driver issue is solved, I don't think there will be any QE. So short of some breakthrough I think we need a new driver to be written for that. However it seems that getting hardware OpenGL is more achievable and enough fooling around and trying combinations might just manage that.

Hi everyone.

I have installed JAS Mac OS X on my IBM Thinkpad T41 with a Radeon Mobility 9000 PCI praphics card. And as everyone is saying in here it does not work properly out of the box.

Where im going at is that if you need someone to test something im right here to help. I am although a linux/unix/ whatever you call it newbie so i have to have everything explained.

Im afraid i cant help in any other way, simply dont understand programming at any level :P

Is it possible to import ATIs linux drivers in any way?

If yes here are the releasenotes:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.8.25.html

OK i did some tinkering with the ATI MOBILITY 7500.dmg that the 7500 people used and i extracted the OpenGL.framework from it and guess what

PERFORMANCE INCREASE!!! ^_^^_^

BIG PERFORMANCE INCREASE, :):thumbsup_anim:

Its working well with AGPGart + Callisto b003 and the 8500 kexts but i did it in fullscreen mode with flurry and the frame rates are ALOT faster than with out the 10.4.1 OpenGL.framework, we just need to get it at FULL speed and then were set for Quartz Extreme, Chess Works Beautifully i don't know about VLC but we're getting closer :D

good job! You mentioned the 8500 kexts... Clarify if they were just there, or if you actually got the atiradeon 8500 kext to load. (kextstat in terminal).

And for anyone interested in more tinkering projects here's the thread with the old JAS driver (pre-callisto effort at community driver):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=4301

Oh and what version of agpart? What's your card deviceid? You're a 4c66 right? Also see how it does w/o callisto.

I'll hopefully get some time next week, and might do a fresh install and do a bit of poking around myself.

Another thing that might be worth looking into: Someone check the version on all the radeon8500 kexts from each osx version. It should be in version.plist. See if the thing has changed at all since 10.4.1. If so, its worth trying the different versions.

Edited by mickles

i have AGP from THIS forum, Universal Beta, My Card ID is 4c66,, and it works good with callisto, i changed in ALL the 8500 kexts, the IOProviderClass

string>CallistoFB</string

I think we should use the 8500 kexts from 10.4.1, i'm going to test the ones from Jaguar, OpenGL.framework and Kexts, thats when ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 in iBooks was around

Ok peeps, i tried the OpenGl.framework from the Jaguar CD's and it won't work with my system, I'll try the 8500 kexts, if they don't work, then we'll stick with 10.4.1, The OpenGL.framework from 10.4.1 works WONDERFULLY! but its the full screen the has improved without the 10.4.1 OpenGL.framework but its still slow with fullscreen but the 7500 package works, I would recommend downloading it and manually extracting the OpenGL.framework from it to get a HUGE performance increase but fullscreen is slow but its a little faster than before

I'm not able to duplicate it FreakyMac. My xbench graphics scores are slightly lower if anything since agpgart/callisto/opengl framework. Flurry isn't noticeably faster.

Using:

AGPGart 1.0 from the 7500 package (2.1z and 2.2 aren't recognizing my card, will try others later)

ATIRadeon8500 1.4.40 from 10.4.8 (will try your 1.4.26 later, but I suspect it makes no difference)

OpenGL framework 1.4.1.7.0

Callisto b003

Are you using any other wierd kext versions? ie not from default 10.4.8 install.