Low Profile PCIe Bracket Help

kernalzero

6 posts in this topic

Ok, so I've been enjoying the graphics provided by my GMA950 but it's time I moved on to utilize my empty PCIe slot that is simply doing nothing right now. Simple enough but here's my situation. I have an Antec mATX Minute (image below) which is great! One day it will become a media center pending the purchase of a real imac or mac pro. All the PCI slots are low profile and low profile cards are both more rare and more expensive. What are my options for converting a standard profile bracket into a low profile. I know it's dependent on the card and I have to pick my card carefully to fit it and simply replace the bracket with a low profile one. Are those my only options? or would it be simple to mod the case enough to add a standard pcie card? Appreciate the input/suggestions.

Antec Case with low profile PCI slots

11-129-013-08.jpg

they arent rare at all. i have half size cases and i make my own half height brackets using the stock ones.

break out your trusty nibbler, marker and hammer, a vice is also handy.

How to make your own:

insert your card into desired slot.

take your marker and mark where it goes past the part where you screw the bracket on to.

now disassemble the card to take off the bracket.

place the bracket in a vice where the jaws of the vice are just below the mark you just made. tighten the vice down then whack away with a hammer (rubber mallet or plastic hammer preferred)

now use the nibblers to cut away the extra metal leaving enough to make your tab and screw hole/slot.

reattach the bracket to the card then test fit.

it may take a few trys but when you get a hang of it its a cinch.

hey asap18 you for got this too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814998301

Edited by DiaboliK

Asapa18, none of those cards will work for my case. Those card's are low profile but I need the bracket to fit aswell and with all the additional VGA outputs and s-video outs I can't even mod most of those cards, I would have to mod the case but thanks for the info.

diabolik that's all good info and that's what i'll probably end up doing unless I can find a card on ebay (don't feel like dropping $$$, saving for a macbook pro...). THANKS!

Fireshark, I guess they are called low-profile cards with half-sized brackets?

in my last post the link at the bottom is to the low profile bracket kit made by xfx. it come with different brackets. all low profile. when combined with the cards asap18 gave you its tottaly compatible.

if you didnt catch it here it is again: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814998301

or you can get a full size card and get a pci-x riser and mount it sideways : heres a link to a flexible pci-x riser :

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?currenc...products_id=865

Edited by DiaboliK