[How to] Boot your real Windows partition with Parallels on Hackintosh

249 posts in this topic

am i really going to have to get another hd for this to work? the error again is...

unable to open disk image Boot Camp;disk0s1.

if you need other information to help this problem please ask. It seems only

success stories are with the OS's on seperate hd's

You should also edit the MEDIA on the PVS file, Disk 0:0 Media = 0 is for images, 1 is for real HD/CD

Even with = 1, you'll have the same problem.

Anyway, Vista won't work with Parallels Bootcamp, period. You'll end up having the exact SAME error on a real Mac using real Bootcamp.

am i really going to have to get another hd for this to work? the error again is...

unable to open disk image Boot Camp;disk0s1.

if you need other information to help this problem please ask. It seems only

success stories are with the OS's on seperate hd's

I think the key is to be sure your xp partition is active, if its not it wont boot. Most installs want the osx partition to be active.

You may have to tweak your boot loading setup to get around this. I used chain0 method when it worked. Causes 1 minor problem. You have to choose osx twice because darwin bootloader starts the active partition by default. Works fine other than that. I am sure grub could handle starting things better.

Some body send me a spare notebook hd and I will figure this out.;-) No make that a MBP

Don

Edited by donh

Well i tried with acronis with windows active didnt work, as for chain0 i cant get it to work. i guess i dont know how to set windows as active when i do it erases my osx partition. it worx be4 i make active. (making active thru computer management). I am back on darwin bootloader. i am willing to test many scenerios if sum1 wants to guide me thru what i havent done yet or rite :).

Edited by xplizid

Well i tried with acronis with windows active didnt work, as for chain0 i cant get it to work. i guess i dont know how to set windows as active when i do it erases my osx partition. it worx be4 i make active. (making active thru computer management). I am back on darwin bootloader. i am willing to test many scenerios if sum1 wants to guide me thru what i havent done yet or rite :).

Use diskpart in xp or fdisk on live linux cd to make active your xp partition.

Don

IT doesn't let me add the Boot Camp option why not?

Ah. Seems like it only works for XP/Vista maybe but I saw XP for sure, I was trying to boot 2003. So for Hackintosh we select boot camp too ?

My hardware is:

- AMD64 3200+ Processor (SSE2/SSE3/PAE)

- 80 GB ATA HD + 160 GB SATA HD

- ASUS A8V-E Deluxe motherboard with VIA chipset

- NVidia GeForce 6200 TC

- 512 MB DDR

Also, my Hackintosh is running Mac OS X 10.4.8.

That's almost my configuration. Just a few pieces different; 6800GT card, 1gram, 3600+ processor and HDs a bit bigger.

I do have one question; my windows OS requires two drives, I have OS on my 150g SATA drive partitioned to 40g for Windows XP OS and everything else is on my D:\ which is 240g. Will this work with both those drives?

My disks are disk2s1 and disk1s1 (if I recall right). I'll try tonight. Just though I'd ask here quickly incase somebody else was mounting two disks for it.

Also, how's the graphic acceleration? One problem I have with OSx86 (10.4.8) is the poor graphics acceleration. I have to boot back into XP if I want to play WoW cause it just runs horrible within Hackintosh.

Well I don't know where to edit that file???

Now I'm trying to get my XP to boot and this is what I get

picture1qc3.th.png

GUYS, GREAT NEWS!

Parallels with Custom Boot Camp configuration can boot Windows partitions on Hackintosh! Tested it right now!

This is what you need to do:

1) First of all, you need to get the latest Parallels Desktop beta (RC2) here.

2) Now, install it. If you have an AMD Processor, before install you need to open the package and edit the Info.plist line that says "GenuineIntel" writing instead "AuthenticAMD".

3) Open Parallels and choose to create a new virtual machine. It'll ask you what HD do you want to use. Choose Boot Camp.

4) Continue the setup, but do not run the Virtual Machine. When finished, close Parallels.

5) Use a Text Editor (like TextEdit or Nano, maybe nano works better) to edit your virtual machine configuration file (.pvs). Find the line that says:

"Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp"

and replace it with this

"Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;diskxsy"

where diskxsy is your Windows/Linux/Other OS "Boot Camp" disk: for example, for me is disk1s1.

6) Save and exit.

7) Start up Parallels and launch the Virtual Machine. Enjoy :D

Sherry Haibara

Well sinec my xp is on hda1 . I tried disk1s1 but it said no boot device available

Here's an odd one......

I have a tri-boot setup all on a single 320GB drive...

Part. #1 = OS X

Part. #2 = WinXP Pro

Part. #3 = Ubuntu

Somehow I have TWO different 'boot managers' both successfully operating... Here is how my system starts up.

Power on....

BIOS Check....

RAID Check... (not using it)

Now on to the managers....

GRUB comes up first and shows all the OS's several permutations of Ubuntu, Windows XP Pro & OS X...

If I choose Ubuntu it boots

If I choose Win XP Pro it boots

If I choose OS X here is what I get....

DARWIN boot manager - when I hit ?return? for advanced options I see

OS X

Win XP Pro

And for some reason it is ALWYAYS defaulting to boot XP (and not OS X - I'd rather have it the other way if possible...)

Oh... now on to my Parallels issue...

I manually edit the required file (as mentioned in the first post) and attempt to have it load my Win XP Pro (from Part. #2 - aka: d0s2) I get a normal Parallels window with that overlay text that says ot to interrupt parallels yadda yadda yadda... the screen goes from black to:

GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB

Over and over and over.... and it never boots into Windows...

Anyone wanna take a crack at this one?!?!

Also if someone can aid me in getting rid of either GRUB or DARWIN partition managers I'd be in your debt... I'd rather keep GRUB since it 'sees and boot' all of my OSes where DARWIN partition manager only shows (and boots) OS X and Windows XP....

TIA

Dave

here's how u can check for window's hd/partiton's identification (diskXsY)

Go to About this mac. More Info. Go to ATA or Serial ATA (depends on your HD).

Scroll down a little bit. Mine says:

Volumes:
Windows XP:
 Capacity:	129.04 GB
 Available:	112.62 GB
 Writable:	No
 File System:	NTFS
 BSD Name:	disk1s1
 Mount Point:	/Volumes/Windows XP

Thus... it is disk1s1. No more confusion eh?

finally got it workin. in games it tends to lagg and i was curious if this was because of parallels or because i dont have enuff memory. i have 1 gig and am planning on getting another stick in the near future am just wondering if it would be corrected or not? oh and i reserve 512 for my parallels config.

Edited by xplizid

Hi guys.

After reading info about using GUID partition to cheat Parallel for having bootcamp partition existed within hackintosh (thx to Macgirl) in this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...776&hl=guid

I've tried to do a fresh install for my hackintosh and came to a conclusion that I have a sure way of making this work.

No need to edit .pvs files at all.

1.) Prepare 2 hard disk. 1st for both ur winxp and osx. 2nd hdd for a GUID partition table (main usage for me is to store all of my data files).

2.) using ur Jas DVD. Boot in to it and use disk utility to partition ur 1st hdd to 2 partition. reason for this is both of the partition table will be in primary partition instead of extended partition. This will make sure that ur chain0 loader will be able to load ur osx partition.

3.) Install xp in 1st partition in 1st HDD. use NTFS or Fat32 will do.

4.) Install OSX from ur Jas DVD. use darwin bootloader to boot in to xp after installation and set xp partition to active. be sure to append " <key>Timeout</key> <string>yes</string>" in to ur apple.com.boot.plist

5.) put chain0 file in c:\ and append c:\chain0="Mac OSX x86" in to boot.ini

6.) now boot in to osx. install parallel desktop regularly like a real intelmac.

7.) select bootcamp partition from parallel option without editing .pvs

8.) successful boot for me.

in conclusion. Both edit .pvs and GUID method works. only drawback from .pvs editing method is it wouldn't work anymore after a few updates to ur windows. so far GUID method works everytime for me and it makes ur hackintosh feels as if like the real macpro.

Cheers.