error : You need to restart your computer. Hold Down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button.

koumed

129 posts in this topic

Quite honestly I have no clue how to make any of this work... My install just hangs on boot and it tells me to reboot over and over. even booting in safe mode (with the -x) does the same thing. If I run it with the -v it seems to hang at the part right after it assigns an IP dynamically - then it goes on to say can't find user so a default is assigned... then it can't find the localhost domain so it assigns a default and then wammo - it just hangs there. My gut tells me its the network card (which is an intel) but it's part of the board i can't take it off.

So after trying two completely separate iso's i'm almost ready to give this up. I'm tired of watching darwin boot.

Had the same problem...

JAS 10.4.8 SSE2 etc. image file

Been trying to install it to a virtual machine and every time it booted i got the "restart machine" error.

I have no idea how to get some diag stuff on the screen or even how to boot it with the -v option.

Anyway... i wanted to reinstall it with diffirent options so i popped the dvd back in and booted.

I wasn't quite fast enough to tell it to boot from dvd.

To my surprise it booted without problems and it's running now.

I can take out the dvd and it keeps working...

reboot, shutdown, sleep... it all works.

Dunno if this helps anyone... but i figured i might report it just in case it does !

Greets,

Tazman998

When you type -s -v on Darwin boot, it show all long codes and at last it stuck. You cant type any thing there. See on first 15-20 lines if you see any clue? My Mac Darwin shows "80-Pin Drive is not set on primary", so I shutdown pc and reconnect the 80-pin HDD cable. Then it works for me.

If you guys tell what error you got there, hopefully anyone or me can help you out.

Hi Max,thats does not work - I have tried doing the cd/system/library/extentions etc but it says that the directory is not there.I have managed to boot the os under vmware so is there anyway to delete these files from that and then boot directly from the hard drive?Thanks
Remember, OS X is case sensitive. You need to type in everything exactly, including the upper case letters.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That happened to me but I unplugged my keyboard...I think it was the PS/2 that was causing it cause it came up a lot but wen I took out the keyboard it worked...try with a USB keyboard...if it happens with a USB keyboard try with a PS/2 keyboard cause I cant remember which of the 2 was my problem <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I just started tinkering putting MAC OS X 10.4.8 (Jas release) on my computer (Asus MOBO, A8N-SLI). I kept getting this restart screen and I'm letting everyone know that I was able to fix it like some others did in this thread: I made sure not to install the Titan/ATI drivers when installing the OS for the first time.

I repartitioned my USB hard drive and erased it (in the Journaled mode with PC partition scheme so I can boot from the USB). Then I reinstalled the software. This was to make sure all remnance of the drivers were gone. I only installed the AMD kext as an extra. BAM! OS X is working.

Of course, right after this I updated the OS to 10.4.11 by accident and got the message again, so I reinstalled. I'm going to try to 8800 gts driver kext next to see if it works. No sound through my SoundBlaster card, haven't tried the onboard card yet (AC97).

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I get this error to, but have narrowed it down to the graphics card, check screenshot below.

IMG_0400.JPG

I used the X19XX driver on the kalway install, if I don't select any driver then I still get the error, I have an X1950 Pro 512MB, how do I install the right graphics driver, it's the bronya one, but I have to install it when I install the OS, but how do I do this?, can I put it on USB drive and install using Terminal, if so how?, how did everyone else manage to get their 1950 pro installed if you can't even boot into mac os to install the driver?

• 1 month later...

I'm getting the same error message

I installed only relevant drivers and followed instructions from Sdracer48 but after typing "/sbin/mount -uw /" it is revealed that "disk1s3:device is write locked." (3 times infact!)  How can I make it writable?

In case anyone is interested, my specs for the computer I am trying to install to are:

Sony Vaio PCG-K315B

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz

ATI Radeon IGP 345m

512mb RAM

Realtek AC97 Audio

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi friends,

I had the same problem and i have the PC with following configurations

Intel 2.2 duo core processor

4 GB RAM

nvidia 9500 GT VGA

and 250 GB sata hard

Before i install mac on it, i have ubuntu installed on the hard disk. and when my first mac installation, installation went successfully and it said succeeded but when i reboot the PC i got error

GRUB Loading, Please wait..

Error 17

so it was an error with ubuntu GRUB and i reformatted the hard and reinstall the mac and i checked all check boxes when the customize.

all went fine and GRUB error is gone, but then i got this stupid error

You need to restart your computer. Hold Down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button.

And then i did read some blog and found this cause of hardware mismatch and i reinstalled the mac with all default settings. this time i didn't even touch the Configuration button ;)

All went fine and wow, mac is working....

sounds are good, speed is okay but just one thing, my screen resolution still very low and still i can't change it.

it's now 1024 X 768 but i want to change it to 1280x1024.

when i try to change, only1024 X 768 show in the list.

So i hope this will help you to get rid of this error and does anyone knows how to change the resolution?

• 2 months later...
I installed successfully the Mac OSX on my computer :

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz (MMX,SSE,SSE2)

Motherboard ASUS P4 B 533

DDRam 256MB

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X 64MB

but when i restart my computer to start MAC OS X I get an error : You need to restart your computer. Hold Down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button.

pict0017lo8.th.jpg

guess can i asking?

wht do you do finnaly for fix this problem? cos it my problem now...

thx.. :(

Hi Scott V Saunders...

acumos answered your question a few posts back:

"Hit F8 after bios sequence is completed. Now you should see darwin boot loader command prompt. just type: -s -v followed by the enter key. If you have done so far, you should be able to call a command: type "/sbin/mount -uw /" (without the quotes) and the root partition will be remounted as read/write. Go ahead and change directory: "cd /System/Library/Extensions/" press "enter". Go and do a "rm -R NVDA* ATI* GeForce*". Reboot and you should be prompted to enter registration information."

Give it a try...

mw

okay I was having this problem on an HP dv6700. AMD Turionx2 2.0 ghx with 2.5gbs of ram. I anstalled with an external hdd and had the restart screen. I did the steps abovee and did EXACTLY what it said. it worked. regisration came up ^_^

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is how I did it without broke it. install the file u want to install and Click on Apple logo and use the shut duwn button. It did not ask me to restart the computer after that. But, anyone had the the restart inform show must reinstall the Mac OSX thou. Hope this help.

• 2 weeks later...

the removal of all of the graphics card kexts work for one start up, but as soon as I restarted it gave me the grey screen, and usually crashes when I use -s-v or -x...

anyone have any other ideas?

Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz

4 gb Ram

Nvidia FX1600M

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

This Is my first post and im getting a similar problem.

System:

Toshiba Satellite P200 PSPB7E.

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2.00GHz

Intel PM965 Chipset

4Gb DDR2 RAM

ATI Monility Radeon HD 2600

Im completley new to this and havn't a clue about 'kernel's etc

When installing the only thing i change is to set it to use ATI graphics drivers.

Installation goes fine, reboot, then I get the apple logo and a bit of loading and then I get the message

that I need to restart..which I do..and then the same thing happens again.

I ran the verbose start up and took a picture of where the load up stalls.

Image = http://www.flickr.com/photos/47550066@N03/...412750/sizes/l/

Any help would be really appreciated.

Hi, I recently (few minutes ago) downloaded and installed (on cleaned hard disk with GUID partition table and Mac OS X Extended Journaled partition) from DVD this: Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_Intel_AMD_made_by_Hazard. I'm pretty sure that I checked everything that my computer need and support. Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5 Ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (rev 1.0)

Graphics: Palit GeForce 9800GT 1GB Super+

RAM: 4 GB (2 x 2GB) 800 Mhz DDR2

HDD: Maxtor 500 GB

Audio card: Realtek ALC888

Network: Realtek RTL8139

I got the error from topic's title and here is what I checked:

Mac OS X 10.6.2 Update Combo

Intel Atom Kernel 10.2.0

Chameleon RC3 PCEFI 10.5

Graphic Enabler

NVEnabler

AppleHDA

ALC888b for Gigabyte

VoodooHDA (0.2.52 new)

RTL8139 Ethernet

RTL8169 Ethernet

AHCI SATA Fix Extra/Extensions (not sure)

Legacy SATA Fix (not sure)

AppleRTC

JMicronATA Injector

IOATAFamily Fix

IOATAFamily SATA Fix Extra/Extensions

SMBIOSResolver

UUID

AdditionalFonts

X11

Rosetta

QuickTime 7

You can find info about that Snow Leopard image at The Pirate Bay (write in search: snow leopard hazard and the normal, not server client version, will be that). Please if you know what I have to check and what not, tell me because I lost all my data (games, files, programs - everything) to install Mac OS X - I thought that it will install with no problems.

PS: PLEASE HELP ME (I know that I should create another topic)

• 4 months later...