error : You need to restart your computer. Hold Down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button.

koumed

129 posts in this topic

Hi Koumed,

I had same problem with a geforce fx 5600... and before that it was working with an ati video card...

The problem is the video driver. You should install natit_uni.pkg.

I put my radeon in and boot with it, then I installed natit package before replacing the geforce. So if you could boot with another gfx card... Try.

If you have a black screen after that, during the startup press F8 and type : graphic mode=1024x768@60 and when booted, select the good screenmode in prefs.

Hope it could help :)

Asrock motherboard

Celeron 3,4

Geforce FX 5600XT

10.4.9 kernel 8.9.1 :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was just about to give it up but then it worked.

Using the Jas 10.4.8 version with sse2 and 3.

Motherboard is asus p5p800s and video board geforce mx4000 (which does not work hence the need for deleting the kexts for geforce and NVidia).

I can say using P4 3ghz and 1 gb RAM that the system is smooth and fast (although sound is still not working... well I just managed to boot in x86 about an hour ago...).

So to make a long story short I installed x86 on the second partition (hd0,1 or hda2 or whatever) of a triple boot (winxp and ubuntu) 120gb HD. System would boot into the deadly gray screen with the apple. Booted again, hit F8, chose -v -s options and went to shell. Changed to writable files and manually deleted the geforce.kext folder and all folders starting with NVD*.kext in the /system/library/extensions in the root install folder for mac osx (graphic interface would obviously not load even with the single -s option...).

I'm deciding on how to easily boot between them... many options I guess, NTLDR, ubuntu's grub and whatever came with the OSX... but theres no way to have problems if you have a gparted livecd to boot from and choose the active partition anyways...

Keep on trying cause its worth it! Very fun to have linux, windows and mac on the same box. :whistle:

Hi, new here. Just wanted to say I ran into the same problem but fixed it, and it wasn't anything too fancy. (Thanks to the posters before who fixed and posted :thumbsup_anim:). Background: I have an Asus F3jp notebook with a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo processor and an ATI mobility radeon x1700. I had the "kernel panic" screen with no kernel panic debug info (I've run into kernel panics before, so I as befuddled). Anyway, after reading up on this thread, I only installed the necessary optional package (The Intel patch in my case) and it worked fine :D

So just a headsup to most people, don't go overboard on those installs!

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE RESTART YOUR COMPUTER error on boot!!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I had the same error after successful installation using JaS 10.4.8 with ppf1 and ppf2 (burned on DVD-RW).

And so i rebooted my computer with an option -v -s, and found out about the following possible cause of the problem (in my case).

I spotted an entry stating: "primary graphics mismatched, blah blah" I dont

remember the exact phrase but It did gave me an idea of what is causing the

problem

That gave me the idea that it is a graphic card related problem. I used a geforce

mx4000 64mb during the installation, so I thought of using another graphic card,

and decided to use a

geforce mx4000 128 mb, thinking that my previous card was not capable enough.

After Installing the new graphic card, I furthermore realized that

I was not able to tick the nvidia packages during my custom installation.

And so what I did was to start the computer and start again the installation

process, but I did not run the whole installatioin process again.

I only did an upgrade install, and check the nvidia packages to be installed.

After doing so, the computer restarts and... Kachiiiiiing!!! Welcome to OSX86!!

So the summary of how I got pass through the problem:

1. Nvidia Pagckages Installation (install graphic card support pack)

2. I think, installation of graphic card higher thatn 64mb.

Specs:

CPU - Intel Celeon 2.4ghz, SSE2 only

Mobo - Asrock, chipped with Intel 845

HDD - ATA 40gb

VGA - 128mb gforce mx4000

Quartz extreme/Core image is not supported with my grahic card.

Hi there!

this is my 3rd osx pc (firt was on p5gd2 with ati video and worked 100% in 10.4.6, second was last year on P5WD2 deluxe with 7600 gt in 10.4.8 and worked fine, and now, for the first time I have this problem:

I've succefully installed 10.4.8 jas on Abit IL9 Pro, alc883 works after installing drivers from insanely, I stll have to deal with my x550 or buy another video board BUT !!!!

this restart message apear in 5-10 minutes after the osx booted BUT just after I plugged in the net, so...

I think that Apple has something to detect the hybrid machines and knock'em down.

If anybody knows something... pls tell

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, Im getting this same message..im using the JaS 10.4.8 and i have all those install options like have been mentioned previously in the forum...

Ive tried installing using only the intel selection, but i still get the "your computer needs to restart" message

ive got a

hp a350n

2.8 GHz P4 (for some reason in hardware managers it always reads that I have two of them, like its a dual core, but its not)

1 gig RAM

the OSX install is on its own HD (i have three internals)

I have a GEforce4 MX 4000 (PCI) and GEforce FX5700LE AGP.

whenever i boot, it loads on my mx4000, so i tried removing the 5700LE, but i still get the same error at startup..

any ideas about what i can do? ive read the whole thread multiple times, but i still dont seem to be able to find the right combination of things..

This is from the "OS X wants a reboot" thread.

I had this same error and it has worked for me.

"Hit F8 after bios sequence is completed. Now you should see darwin boot loader command prompt. just type: -s -v followed by the enter key. If you have done so far, you should be able to call a command: type "/sbin/mount -uw /" (without the quotes) and the root partition will be remounted as read/write. Go ahead and change directory: "cd /System/Library/Extensions/" press "enter". Go and do a "rm -R NVDA* ATI* GeForce*". Reboot and you should be prompted to enter registration information."

Solution Courtesy of Ductom2002

OK, I had the same problem for the longest time. Make sure your DVD has PPF1 and PPF2. I downloaded the DVD Image with PPF1 and PPF2, and it magically worked. When installing, make sure you install drivers for hardware you KNOW you have. You can install more later. Finally install ONLY the cpu package of the CPU you have. If you install both AMD and intel, you will run into problems.

Oh, and you neeed a USB keyboard and USB mouse. The PS/2 driver doesnt work for all PS/2 controllers. It worked on my dell, but not my custom computer. (deadmoo image)

"Hit F8 after bios sequence is completed. Now you should see darwin boot loader command prompt. just type: -s -v followed by the enter key. If you have done so far, you should be able to call a command: type "/sbin/mount -uw /" (without the quotes) and the root partition will be remounted as read/write. Go ahead and change directory: "cd /System/Library/Extensions/" press "enter". Go and do a "rm -R NVDA* ATI* GeForce*". Reboot and you should be prompted to enter registration information."

for whatever reason im unable to get the darwin bootloader to come up..i can hit F8 all day, but i get nothing..i can do it when i have the install DVD in the drive, or i could call up the terminal from the install DVD, but when I boot off my OSX install, it says "loading darwin" at the BIOS stage, but then just goes to the grey apple loading screen, then of course, the "error, restart your computer" message

UPDATE!!!

While i was looking for help i had another ISO DLing, and this one was v2 of the JaS patch, and it worked like a charm..I still had to do the F8 after the BIOS and do the manual removal of those drivers, but that went very easily and then it booted fine, no problems at all.

even better is the fact that my internet is working fine (im posting this from safari) and my audio works perfectly fine (i have an external Firewire audio device that worked without having to DL any drivers). I can see all my Harddrives/partitions with the names i gave them in XP, no problem.

my monitor is currently at 1024x768, but its a LCD with that native resolution..ill be tinkering with my 2nd monitor shortly and see what I can make happen.

I guess from here i need to do some regular software updating, but ive heard that using apple's software update can yield some unwanted results..since im in uncharted territory now, any info would be greatly appreciated..

Also, what is reccomended for video card drivers? I have a I have a GEforce4 MX 4000 (PCI) and GEforce FX5700LE (AGP). Obviously im not currently quartz extreme capable or anything..

thanks everyone for all the help!

I tried using the included dual display support on the JaS dvd, but it didnt work and i had to do the terminal thing where i get rid of the NVDA/ATI/GeForce stuff...

but the mac side is still working fine..I would really like ilife apps though..any ideas for that?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Same Error

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x003A8D2F): Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

Debugger called <panic>

Backtrace, Formart - Frame: Return Address (4 potention args on stack)

(alot of hex values)

Kernel Version 8.8.1 Sat Dec 9

i have a HP NC6400

Intel® Core2 CPU T7600 @ 2.33GHz

Socket 479 mPGA

MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T

Intel i945PM rev. 03

Intel 82801GHM (ICH7-M DH) rev. 01

ATI Mobility Radeon X1300

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

Almost all the post i read seems that associated the issue to Nvidia card.

Did anyone of you have same issue with similar hardware?

Thanks to all

Ciao

Roberto

• 4 months later...

Here is my funny one

Just to try it I installed 10.4.9 uphuck on an older P4 intel 1500 *year 1999

256 mb SDRAM

asus pb4 mboard

nvidia geforce4 mx 8x agp with no great hopes

surprise..

everything worked susrprising well

with titan CI=no QE=yes

for everyday use like Internet browsing etc. non to far from my ne macbook dual core 1gb ram blah blah (this makes you think about hardware improvementes.

of course big problem was lack of RAM, so I added 256mb more

BOOM

in normal mode system cannot boot anymore

in -x mode no QE anymore and general unstable system

1. it is not a ram chip hardeware problem *changed tested on other system, used another single chip 512ms and so on

with more tha 256 mb system crashes

I tryed a fresh install with 512 mb from the Start, same same behaviour.

It must be a memory mapping problem like dos with more than 640kb or windows over 2.5gb but...

ANYONE any Idea?

I just had the same issue and resolved it. I had:

Nvidia 7600 GS with 512 MB PCIE

Intel DP35DP with Intel Core 2 Quad

2* 1 GB memory

SATA DVD

SATA HD (Maxtor 320 GB)

OMIZ bluetooth adapter I picked up cheap in Hong Kong (works fine in a PPC blueberry imac)

After replacing the video card with an ATI 1600 video card it boots up fine. (network and audio are not yet working but I don't think I installed the drivers.)

This is the 3rd or 4th system I have tried to get running (and the first one to actually work :)

IT WORKS

P4P800E DELUXE

P4 PRESCOTT HT 3GHZ

GF4 MX 4000

i have this problem with that damn window when i try to connect to the internet. i have uphuck 1.3 10.4.9 installed, everything work ok. but when i connect to the net, BOOM. i had jas 10.4.8, and evrything worked ok. but now... i think is the driver for my intel gigabit lan. in network in system preferences, adapters> pci enthernet something> on jas i had standard ethernet controller or something like that, i can't see now i'm at work and i dont have internet at home:) . sorry for my bad english, please anyone who knows let my know what to do

• 2 weeks later...

all WHO GET A KERNEL PANIC FIRST TRY RO INSTALL OLDER OR NEWER KERNEL VERSIONS( worked for me)i have the 10.4.10 dvd and got kernel panic :):):rolleyes: so i selected the 8.9.1 version and worked for mep,s sucses not garantieetsrry bad englisch

HelloSame Errorpanic(cpu 0 caller 0x003A8D2F): Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"Debugger called <panic>Backtrace, Formart - Frame: Return Address (4 potention args on stack)(alot of hex values)Kernel Version 8.8.1 Sat Dec 9i have a HP NC6400Intel® Core™2 CPU T7600 @ 2.33GHzSocket 479 mPGAMMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64TIntel i945PM rev. 03Intel 82801GHM (ICH7-M DH) rev. 01ATI Mobility Radeon X1300Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network ConnectionBroadcom NetXtreme Gigabit EthernetAlmost all the post i read seems that associated the issue to Nvidia card.Did anyone of you have same issue with similar hardware?Thanks to allCiaoRoberto
i got kernel panic to with kernel version 8.8.1if you have the 10.4.10 Xxx dvd deselect the kernels and select kernel 8.9.1 in optional kernels (worked for me ;) ) and the system.kext otherwise it wont mount dmgif dont have 10.4.10 download it

I solved this problem. At Darwon loader, i typed -s -v. I was getting error of 80-Pins connection was not on primary. (not exactly the same message as i typed). I disconnected my HDD and reconnected it. Now I'm in second problem.

I cant get my parition formated with Mac File System. It says,

Volume Erase Failed

Volume erase failed with error:

Could not read partition map

I tried formatting through MS-DOS so maybe my parition is formatted fine but still getting this error.

Good God this problem is annoying as hell!!!

I just installed 10.4.8 JaS version (and I clicked on everything during the customize stage). And yes I've got a nVidia 4 vid card.

Ok... thanx for all the good ideas. I'm gonna try again with a minimal set of options this time and see if that clears it.

mw

I tell you what I find strange... I can boot into safe mode by using -x at the darwin prompt and I am then able to see OS X on my PC minus the USB and Working PS2 Connections - but if I boot normally I get the stupid reset message,

People have mentioned deleting the Nvidia drivers but no -one will explain how to actually do that -I know that people are busy but it seems that I am not the only person who is asking for some help with this but again there is no one offering their expertise.

anyone know a solutions?

Thanks

Hi Scott V Saunders...

acumos answered your question a few posts back:

Give it a try...

mw