USB or Firewaire

16 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I have a small dilemma, basically i bought my macbook pro about 3 weeks ago, and I want to purchase a small external drive, for backups etc...

I was thinking USB 2.0 drive as I can use it with my Window/Linux machines, and also with my Macbook Pro.

However the problem is I also want to use it for backing up my Macbook Hard disk, you know, where you can backup your hard disk Image and boot off the external drive if something goes wrong etc.. use to restore my laptop etc...

can i do this with a USB drive? I have done it on G4 using Firewire but never on Intel and USB, not even sure if Intel will do this?

Thanks

Snake

I'm almost certain that OS X on intel can boot from USB.

But try to get a drive (or enclosure for a drive) that has Firewire 800 and USB 2.0, that way you can use it at faster speeds, at least when using the MBP.

I'm almost certain that OS X on intel can boot from USB.

But try to get a drive (or enclosure for a drive) that has Firewire 800 and USB 2.0, that way you can use it at faster speeds, at least when using the MBP.

nope, you have to boot into single user mode to grant it permission

When Macworld tested USB 2.0 against Firewire 400 (on the same hard drive), the Firewire plug was still faster (but just barely). SO if you need to eek out every little bit of speed, then go for Firewire (also, if you have a lot of USB {censored}, then it might behoove you to go for Firewire anyways).

It will all depend on what exactly you need and all those other factors (including how many other USB thingies you already have).

try benchmark read and write, in writing FireWire can do 25-38 mb/s depends on firewire ata bridge, usb gain onlyonly 18-22mb/s. in reading difrences are small but noticeable. specialy when you use more than one external drive

I borrowed my friends Western Digital My book, it has 2* FW400 and 1 * usb2.0 all i can say is FW400 is SOO FAST!!!! I never even bother trying to boot off the USB, as external drive had both connections.

Ive orderd the new model and it comes with 1*FW800 1*FW400 and 1*USB2.0 (250GB) at £85 and i have to admit I am very impressed with it :( (Although i had to send my SHINY new Macbook pro back for a new one, as the power botton decided to dip to one side and it requires a whole new top case, im within 14days so i get a new one :cold: )

Thanks for all your help :cold:

Id go with firewire for osx, and usb 2.0 for windows, theyre both speed comparable, so whatever you have more ports of would probably be the smartest way if not osx bootable being an influencing factor, i think firewire if you want to boot osx86 offa it.

Guest goodtime

As far as I know most PCs won't allow Firewire to boot.

USB 2.0 does boot on most PCs.

I would get a drive that has both USB 2.0 and Firewire 400. This way you could use it for booting either PowerMacs, Intel Macs or OSx86 Macs. Be mindful that BIOS PCs use FDISK/MBR partition scheme, Intel Macs use GUID partition scheme and PowerMacs use the Apple Partition Scheme.

gt

Edited by goodtime