Outraged!

Alessandro17

64 posts in this topic

Yesterday I got an email from an online shop where I have bought some hardware, offering me the various versions of Vista.

I was absolutely astonished by the price of Vista Ultimate:

http://www.tdshop.it/Negozio.asp?IdNegozio...rodotto=8031FA6

That is on special offer!

It is 673.525 USD!!!

I feel your pain, but.......

2 sides to this issue. As a consumer I'd be pissed but if you were MS you'd do the same thing, at least I would. 90% of the world runs Windows. Companies big and small, corporations will pay this without blinking an eye. Consumers will pay this without blinking an eye. Sure you can run Linux or Mac, but you will be limited unless you spend countless hours re-learning and training your employees and yourself about these OS. Gates is the richest man in the world. Why? Go figure! I just finished installing Vista business yesterday and it is pretty nice. No glithces on install and not one conflict loading software, but then again I got my copies of Vista and Office 2007 for free..

Oh man, Sorry about that, Didn't know you were in Italy :D. BUT, Lucky you, Vista comes with Language packs that can be downloaded from the internet, Including Italian, So stick it to the man and buy an OEM copy from the states., And since I feel you pain, I could direct you to a free version of Office 07, (PM me or IM if interested)

Edited by Bartboy919

But once you actually compare the prices $210 doesn't seem to exist:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Microsoft_W...28/search=vista

I can't see anything cheaper than $375.95

Well, you don't have to buy the Ultimate Edition (I certainly wouldn't). I believe the Home Premium edition is more reasonably priced (an academic version upgrade can be had for $70 online).

OK, good point, but I believe Leopard will have only one edition, and that one with plenty of features and certainly a lot cheaper than Vista Ultimate.

I won't even mention Linux. How much should Debian Etch cost, once released? 3 DVDs, almost 20,000 packages...All free.

Pfffttt... Who needs Vista Ultimate when you have Ubuntu Ultimate.

:D

2 sides to this issue. As a consumer I'd be pissed but if you were MS you'd do the same thing, at least I would. 90% of the world runs Windows. Companies big and small, corporations will pay this without blinking an eye. Consumers will pay this without blinking an eye. Sure you can run Linux or Mac, but you will be limited unless you spend countless hours re-learning and training your employees and yourself about these OS. Gates is the richest man in the world. Why? Go figure! I just finished installing Vista business yesterday and it is pretty nice. No glithces on install and not one conflict loading software, but then again I got my copies of Vista and Office 2007 for free..

Companies: are we sure that they'll pay without blinking an eye? I know small business which are still using Windows 98. And certainly plenty are still using Windows 2000. In any case large companies will pay for volume licenses. And in the meantime many companies all over the world are beginning to realize that adopting Linux pays in the long run.

Consumers will not pay that, unless they are buying a new computer. Joe User doesn't buy a new OS, unless he needs a new computer. My sister was using Windows 98 until one year ago, when her laptop was destroyed by a thunderstorm. Else she had no plans to buy a new computer.

As to me, if I can convince even one person to use Linux or Mac instead of Vista, I'll feel better with myself.

mr.mac, this has nothing to do with that useless/inaccurate site.

I think all of you missed the memo with the simple writing which detailed how Ultimate isn't the only version and you are not forced to buy Ultimate. So, when you [bloody finally] realise this your "LOL EXPENSIVE" argument is out the window, for the most part.

mr.mac, this has nothing to do with that useless/inaccurate site.

I think all of you missed the memo with the simple writing which detailed how Ultimate isn't the only version and you are not forced to buy Ultimate. So, when you [bloody finally] realise this your "LOL EXPENSIVE" argument is out the window, for the most part.

Great! And of course we, a bunch of simpletons, need robotskip in order to realize such a simple truth.

And BTW, how much do you get from M$ in order to advocate their cause in a mainly Mac forum?

@alessandro17: here in italy everything is more expensive than on any countries you know :(

That's absolutely true!

Whenever I go to the States, I go shopping there, and I feel rich! :)

It would be cheaper paying for a flight to the States (once in a while) and buying lots of stuff there, rather than buying things in Italy. (I am Italian, too)

Not sure about that. England is very expensive too. Example: broadband connections.

That's also true, in fact Europe is very expensive.

674$ is way tooo expensive. Thats half the price of an 20" iMac. I mean, you would have to be an idiot to buy it. Thank god we in India have guys who sell software for 0.50$ for 1 CD and 1$ for a DVD :) . Vista Ultimate is available currently at a premium price of 1.25$............................Premium pricing :( , bahhhh. I ll just download it

674$ is way tooo expensive. Thats half the price of an 20" iMac. I mean, you would have to be an idiot to buy it. Thank god we in India have guys who sell software for 0.50$ for 1 CD and 1$ for a DVD :) . Vista Ultimate is available currently at a premium price of 1.25$............................Premium pricing :( , bahhhh. I ll just download it

Good luck with WGAv2 and Windows Activation, not to mention those dazzling updates. :P

Whenever I go to the States, I go shopping there, and I feel rich! :)

It would be cheaper paying for a flight to the States (once in a while) and buying lots of stuff there, rather than buying things in Italy. (I am Italian, too)

I have considered that too, but don't you have to pay Customs when you come back?

I understand your second sentence, but I am not sure I know what you mean with the first one :)

(maybe you don't declare what you should?)

Well, I could leave the question unanswered, which would be more mysterious :thumbsdown_anim:

..but I believe you have to pay for the customs every time you import something which is brand new and in its original packing (otherwise you would risk to pay for the same item, every time you cross the borders of your Country!). In my case, it never happens, because I usually have to stay in the US for some time before coming back to Italy, and by the time I come back, whatever I've bought is already old! :blink:

In any case, it is really convenient to buy there. Even paying for VAT, IVA or whatever taxes, you would save a lot of money by buying in the US.

WOW, I like her! :)

You know fella's its 1 degree celcius here in the middle of the frickn' United States. I'm going to Key West next month because I'm loosing my mind. Cheers. Don't give Gates any more money, he just gives it away, or Paul Allen has a boat built specifically for his helicoper to land on... Must be rough.

http://www.birdseyetourist.com/wp-content/.../2006/05/z2.jpg

Good luck with WGAv2 and Windows Activation, not to mention those dazzling updates. :P

My XP is MSDN version downloaded of a friends MSDN account, installed on atleast 50 Machines and is reported Geniune everytime I do the Genuine Check. That is after I apply WGAKill.exe, to disable "annnoying alerts".

Seriously my Office2007 running since two months on 3 of my PC's and on all of my friends(approx 50) Laptops has not even asked for activation yet

That retailer sells Vista Ultimate for 517,24 €

Translated in dollars that is 673.52 USD (approximately)

And no, they are not mistaken: the official price is even more.

I suppose one could get an English copy for less, but the vast majority of Italians don't understand foreign languages.

true, and yep.... and sweet, i should sell my extra copys on amazon or ebay! oh, and its like 400ish here, cause my friend ran the calcs because hes getting to copys like i said b4..... :poster_spam: